Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

arpstorm
Gerbil

Re: arpstorm?

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:16 am

Time passes and it's almost Independence Day 2010. We're still Folding as arpstorm and nearing the 6,000,000 point milestone.

farmpuma is just ahead and will get there first. Well done!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:18 pm

Wow, we haven't seen you around in quite a while. Welcome back, and keep on chugging. :)

Too many folders have been dropping out, and more quit (or paused) now that it's summer in most of the world.

And Pande Lab just blew past us like we were in reverse.

arpstorm
Gerbil

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:43 am

Our little band at arpstorm has received additional Folders into our midst. One new Folder just cranked up the GPU Folding client, producing a nice spike in our points per day. I think we'll probably continue to enjoy membership in the top 20 producers list.

I know we've lost a few prolific Folders over the years, some were top producers. Alas the instability of the Folding software in the past proved to be more trouble than it was worth, and so they chose more productive avenues for their resources.

Indeed for a few months I installed BOINC and participated in some global climate simulations for some UK research site. But I'm disillusioned about the usefulness and accuracy of climate simulations for forecasting and returned to Folding.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:38 pm

Yep, both the SMP client and especially the GPU client annoyed some who had a bunch of CPU's all over, and a few quit because of it.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:19 am

Belated (9 July / 10 July) Six Mega Congrats! And advanced (in about a week) congratulations for taking 25th place from me. Thank you for your continuing support of Team Tech Report.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

arpstorm
Gerbil

Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:32 am

Thanks for checking in, and for the kind words, farmpuma.

We had some rather warm weather here last week and the wife complained about the heat and noise the Folding PC was making. So I got a USB/WiFi adapter and moved the PC out to my shop in the carport. The WiFi connection supports a good solid WLAN network link back to the house WAP and therefore Internet access. Thus did the PC continue to Fold and we have harmony in the house. That PC Folds on its nVidia 8800GT. GPU Folding is the only way to Fold :D

Fold On!

arpstorm
Gerbil

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:12 am

I realize this is an old thread. But, it's October 2012 and arpstorm is still Folding, although our might is reduced, our hearts remain strong. We just made the top 20 list today but OMG it takes a lot more daily points to make the list than in 2005 when we started to Fold.

We're going to make the 10,000,000 point milestone next month.

Fold on everybody!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:19 am

arpstorm wrote:
I realize this is an old thread. But, it's October 2012 and arpstorm is still Folding, although our might is reduced, our hearts remain strong. We just made the top 20 list today but OMG it takes a lot more daily points to make the list than in 2005 when we started to Fold.

We're going to make the 10,000,000 point milestone next month.

Fold on everybody!

Glad for you to stop by. You want to join Frankie's effort this month? ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

arpstorm
Gerbil

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:00 pm

Oh yeah, it's October, and according to tradition all those in the mood for Halloween fun reconfigure their Folding farms to TRFrankenbot on team 2630, the same team as arpstorm. OK I'll reconfigure a quad core Linux machine with an Intel Q9300 quad core CPU overclocked from 2.5Ghz to 3.0 Ghz to Fold for Frankie.

Thanks for the reminder Flying Fox!

- arpstorm

arpstorm
Gerbil

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:37 am

A belated happy 2014 to those who still monitor this old thread.

Arpstorm is still active. We maintain our vanity domain name http://www.arpstorm.com that redirects to our extreme overclocking statistics. As you can see we've crossed the 16,000,000 point threshold. A few of us are now Folding using our GPUs under Linux. If we can maintain our present course and speed we'll reach the 20,000,000 point milestone in March 2014.

Fold On!

BIF

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Greetings from the USS Firehorse! We passed through your sector about a week ago and our crews rotated breaks from their activities to enjoy the beautiful vistas of the Arpstorm Nebula from the bow and port viewing lounges.

We're at full-stop right now in uncharted space for a field-expansion of our Deuterium tanks, and we should be underway sometime in the next 3-6 hours.

Once we're at maximum warp again, we'll be two days away from the nearest planet which, according to our cartography experts, has no population and no developed resources of any kind. We plan to scan it as we pass it, but we won't stop because we want to make planet Leor for drinks and pastas in the next week.

Happy journey to you, and do be cautious of the black hole just beyond the Petcherd belt!

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:00 pm

BIF wrote:
Once we're at maximum warp again, we'll be two days away from the nearest planet which, according to our cartography experts, has no population and no developed resources of any kind. We plan to scan it as we pass it, but we won't stop because we want to make planet Leor for drinks and pastas in the next week.

Hey, I resemble that remark! :D

BIF

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:46 pm

Oh wow, there does seem to be a small colony of survivors after all! We shall leave a box of cigars and a kegger of JBI Select on your transporter pad as we pass through, which will probably be sometime in the next Earth Day. :)

arpstorm
Gerbil

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Thank you all for your kind words. arpstorm still has a few stragglers to be sure. The chief engineer maintains our ships space worthy, we keep the peace, enjoy the occasional gift exchanges with fellow Folders, maintain good humor, and keep our dilithium crystals dry. The GPU Folding has certainly helped us return to the top 20 list.

My number one recently pointed out that the ship's contribution to Folding@Home amounts to about 50 credits per month for AC power, and that's not nothing. All of us that Fold might want to calculate our power bill. I have a UPS with a front panel that shows AC power consumed, and my science officer says that AC goes for about ten cents per kilowatt-hour.

I wonder if the approximately 600 credits per years can be used as a charitable contribution when figuring out Federation Taxes?
Last edited by arpstorm on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:20 pm

arpstorm wrote:
I wonder if the approximately 600 credits per years can be used as a charitable contribution when figuring out Federation Taxes?

This topic showed up from time to time, and the answer has always be no.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BIF

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:37 am

The Firehorse runs on the imaginations, heart, and soul of her crew.

arpstorm
Gerbil

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:35 pm

I never thought the day would come when I would gaze upon The Great Derelict of Leor. But there it lies, about three days travel from our current position.

Leor was a great Folder in days long gone by. An era when 10,000 PPD was considered insanely good. A time when GPU Folding was unheard of.

All hands will observe a minute of silence when we pass the derelict.

BIF

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Our science team is working on a hot project to try to understand recent variations in space-time. At the beginning of this stardate phase called "February" on Earth, we were going at full Warp speed but only seemingly making 80% of our normal forward progress.

And beginning just yesterday, our Warp core seems to be taking longer to process each Work Unit of Antimatter and Deuterium, but yielding ever greater bursts of production and forward motion. Our science team says that initial evidence indicates that we may have gotten some 9401 Deuterium at our last refueling stop, and that this phenomenon may be due to the higher density of the Deuterium packs and nothing more, although we still don't have an explanation for the slower progress at the beginning of the month. Research continues, and the captain has ordered that normal science department workshifts be increased to 10 hours until an answer is found.

Additionally, our engineers are currently watching our warp core for temperature fluctuations. Our very scientific indicators have gone down from orange to "yellow with a slightly orange tinge", and our engineers are meeting to decide whether or not we should drop out of warp so that we can replace the cooling plumbing of the main reactor. We have an old plumbing unit on hand, but it might not fit the intermix chamber, so we're monitoring our long range sensors for an outpost or spacedock that carries parts.

We too had a moment of silence for the dark shell of Leor when we passed by a few weeks ago. After scanning for life and finding none, we raised glasses and toasted to valiant ship and crew before moving on to lesser-charted space.

arpstorm
Gerbil

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:29 pm

The ship's science officer just completed a computer library search of past Leor communications in the history database. He was last heard Thu May 25, 2006 9:40 am boasting proudly (as he was known to do):

I've said it before and i'll say it again. no one will ever defeat me, NOT EVER.
juggs will get his, i will pass him before the year is out.

Apparently whatever battle finally stopped him must have been fearsome to behold to bring one so mighty to defeat. Now The Great Derelict of Leor lies dark about two days upspin. We'll also take sensor readings as we pass it, but won't beam over to investigate, as whatever was capable of stopping Leor may yet lie in wait for another victim.

He was a graphics designer, same as his father.

Engineer! Bring up a case of Romulan Ale from the ship's stores. We will, every man and woman aboard, toast Leor's passing out of respect for his contributions to the Folding arts.

BIF

Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:18 pm

Yes, it is now standard procedure when at high warp in deep space to never board a powered-down ship without first knowing what happened. Our captain decided that it wasn't even worth the risk to send an automaton over, even though we had five volunteers.

But we did spare a subspace communications beacon outfitted with a basic sensor array capable of detecting life signs, other sensors, deflector shield or weapons activations, warp core signatures, or even hubris! After all, we have several gross of those probes and one never knows...