Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:38 am

farmpuma wrote:
Wow! That's a nice collection of efficient hardware. My 9600 GSO platform is: an AM2 X2 4000 mildly over-clocked to 2.4GHz, 1GB DDR2 667, 10GB IDE HD, ASUS M2N-E 570 SLI mobo, 56K pci modem, in an Antec 900 with a Cooler Master RP-550 which is probably 70% efficient at best. A two generation newer chipset and a generation newer video card sure make a difference. Maybe I need to knock my CPU and memory back to stock speed and save a few watts.

Was the 77 watts at idle on a nekkid desktop? And what work unit were you running at 103 watts?

I imagine the GT 240 is running the same 1350MHz shader clock, although I couldn't find it listed in the MSI specs. I doubt it's full gig of video memory will make much difference in folding production compared to the 384MBs on my 9600 GSO, but I wonder if they might have tweaked the architecture a bit while shrinking the die?

And speaking of the monitor ... I think my son's 9800 GTX+ 250+ watts did include his LG L227wtg-pf monitor, so his GPU folding and multi-tasking power usage is probably around 200 watts.

Thanks! I was honestly surprised to see how low the power draw was myself. I had no programs running at the 77 watts rating (well maybe firefox was open, and AVG was in the system tray, but no major CPU draw). The GT240 stock is 550MHZ GPU and 1350 on the shaders. I agree the memory probably does little to help with folding. I OC'd the shaders last night. According to EVGA precision this card is running at a very cool 46C. I realize this card isn't the most powerful in the world, but I must admit it seems to be a very nice value for $55 (after MIR).

It's drawing 105 Watts now with shaders OC'd to 1550. It's folding a 5910 WU. Considering the 40NM tech I can't help but think the shaders have a bit more headroom. :)
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:53 am

farmpuma wrote:
Wow! That's a nice collection of efficient hardware. My 9600 GSO platform is: an AM2 X2 4000 mildly over-clocked to 2.4GHz, 1GB DDR2 667, 10GB IDE HD, ASUS M2N-E 570 SLI mobo, 56K pci modem, in an Antec 900 with a Cooler Master RP-550 which is probably 70% efficient at best. A two generation newer chipset and a generation newer video card sure make a difference. Maybe I need to knock my CPU and memory back to stock speed and save a few watts.
Don't forget the Nvidia 570 chipset as well, their chipsets usually run hotter than AMD's.

My 785G system seems to be drawing more, but I forgot if I got those numbers when I had a HD4550 plugged in. I will measure again once I get my Kill-A-Watt back from a friend who I lent it to.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:02 am

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
flybywire wrote:
Gerbils on the menu.. mmm mmm good :wink: .

Awww @#$%#@$%. Don't make me have to switch back to UGN.
We have to worry about Fuzzhead first. Unless FBW is doing something to his farm, Fuzz is going to beat him to get to us. Either way at this point we don't seem to have any hope of holding any of them off. :(

MaxTheLimit wrote:
Has something else changed that I don't know about? Our ol' UGN has hardly produced any points at all today. :(
Between the GPU assignment server going crazy, GJ and myself testing the A3's under our own usernames, Jigar still not returning while he's having fun hacking his 8800GT, plus who knows what, our production is definitely lacking. Now GJ is lured by the big points on his own so he's leaving us. :o

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:14 am

eWiz.com has AMD Athlon II X3 Triple-Core Processor 425 AM3 for $70 - $11 with code GO4GOLD = $59 with free shipping. Next lowest on Google Products is $72. Thanks quizzys & skydivingcows

LINK

According to Newegg reviews people have had luck unlocking the 4th core AND the L3 cache.

I didn't know the Athlons had L3 cache to unlock, but I don't follow these things as closely as I could.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:44 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Between the GPU assignment server going crazy, GJ and myself testing the A3's under our own usernames, Jigar still not returning while he's having fun hacking his 8800GT, plus who knows what, our production is definitely lacking. Now GJ is lured by the big points on his own so he's leaving us. :o

I'm not sure how big my points will be. My PPD is down from when I had the GTX295 folding 24/7. It'll be hard to match that thing's production with my current hardware.

The folding has also hurt my GTX285. It's folding just fine, but it can no longer play games reliably at its stock speed (admittedly its stock speed is a stock overclocked 702MHZ which doesn't help matters). I have requested an RMA, but since this is the third RMA I've made not sure they will want to honor it.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:54 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
flybywire wrote:
Gerbils on the menu.. mmm mmm good :wink: .

Awww @#$%#@$%. Don't make me have to switch back to UGN.
We have to worry about Fuzzhead first. Unless FBW is doing something to his farm, Fuzz is going to beat him to get to us. Either way at this point we don't seem to have any hope of holding any of them off. :(

Just so you know, I'm not at my full capacity yet. You gerbils had better spin those wheels a lot faster.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:02 pm

flybywire wrote:

Just so you know, I'm not at my full capacity yet. You gerbils had better spin those wheels a lot faster.

Who pays your electric bill?

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:33 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
flybywire wrote:

Who pays your electric bill?

I do, so that's why I haven't gone fullbore yet.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:48 pm

flybywire wrote:
I do, so that's why I haven't gone fullbore yet.

This is the underlying cause for UGN's reduced output. It's kind hard to put out 100,000 PPD when it costs a few hundred a month.

I also don't feel environmentally friendly... My take is that the better approach, for the environment, is to get more idle PCs folding than it is for me to purpose build folding PCs.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:56 pm

UGN is a collective, therefore the cost is distributed among its members. Is that not the purpose of forming this collective?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:05 pm

flybywire wrote:
UGN is a collective, therefore the cost is distributed among its members. Is that not the purpose of forming this collective?

That's my point! If you can rally a lot of people with idle computers to fold, that is a much more efficient use of power than custom building folding machines that otherwise have no purpose.

Having said that, I do go out of my way to make sure my existing PCs are configured hardware-wise to put out high PPD. :D

I mean, my wife does NOT need a Q9450 and 9800GTX+ to play Farmville. :wink:

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
flybywire wrote:

That's my point! If you can rally a lot of people with idle computers to fold, that is a much more efficient use of power than custom building folding machines that otherwise have no purpose.

Having said that, I do go out of my way to make sure my existing PCs are configured hardware-wise to put out high PPD. :D

I mean, my wife does NOT need a Q9450 and 9800GTX+ to play Farmville. :wink:

LOL Hey, harvesting those crops can get pretty intense!

I think the mean problem with UGN, or any group for that matter, is trying to maintain interest and momentum. I think that if you guys can make things more interesting for your members to keep folding then UGN would be a force to be reckoned with. I know you guys have discussed this matter before, but perhaps it's time to revisit this subject and initiate a new drive. Fuzz and I are on track to overtake UGN in a few short months and I don't think it's too late to get some more wind behind your sails

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:09 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Thanks! I was honestly surprised to see how low the power draw was myself. I had no programs running at the 77 watts rating (well maybe firefox was open, and AVG was in the system tray, but no major CPU draw). The GT240 stock is 550MHZ GPU and 1350 on the shaders. I agree the memory probably does little to help with folding. I OC'd the shaders last night. According to EVGA precision this card is running at a very cool 46C. I realize this card isn't the most powerful in the world, but I must admit it seems to be a very nice value for $55 (after MIR).

It's drawing 105 Watts now with shaders OC'd to 1550. It's folding a 5910 WU. Considering the 40NM tech I can't help but think the shaders have a bit more headroom. :)

Again, Wow! I haven't tried to OC my GSO's shaders. According to Riva-Tuner it usually runs at a warmish 65C, but drops down to about 60C on the 5910s. It has the out the back of the case enclosed cooler with the fan manually set to 67% which results in a little over 2600 rpm. I'm currently downloading EVGA precision for an apples to apples temperature comparison.

I'm a bit surprised you are getting a single stable power reading on the 5910 work unit. They spike one of my CPU cores to 100% fairly regularly and my Kill-A-Watt reading jumps all over the place in a range from 126 watts to over 160.

** edit **
The CPU core only spikes to around 20% with newish 191.07 video driver. Also, a couple of minor grammar tweaks.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:46 pm

My 9600GSO was able to overclock from stock 1700 to 1857 until the fan quit running at full speed. I have it running at 1735 or something and it's slower, and is running very hot (as high as 92C), but it's very reliable. If I were less lazy I'd fix the fan.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:54 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
My 9600GSO was able to overclock from stock 1700 to 1857 until the fan quit running at full speed. I have it running at 1735 or something and it's slower, and is running very hot (as high as 92C), but it's very reliable. If I were less lazy I'd fix the fan.

I'll be moving the GT240 into my own computer soon, and then I will see how far I can OC it(My GTX285 is failing on me). I just got an RMA approved so I'm sending it back to Zotac. This is the third RMA. I started out with a GTX280 AMP! edition, then got a second one, then they gave me a GTX285 AMP!... I think they've OC'd them too much. They just can't handle folding and keep their integrity. Sure it'll fold 24/7 no problem, but when I try to game it crashes after a few minutes. If I take it down to about 675MHZ it runs fine, but it should run fine at it's stock setting of 702MHZ. /rambling

Soooo, my PPD is gonna take a big hit just as I started folding on my own. :-?

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:04 pm

I've noticed the newer gpu units 3469 and 3470, worth 450 and 445 respectively, are quite fast. My 8800GS/9600GSO cards with overclocked shaders (1700MHz) are beating my stock GTX 260 216 (1350MHz) in ppd. :o

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:14 pm

flybywire wrote:
I've noticed the newer gpu units 3469 and 3470, worth 450 and 445 respectively, are quite fast. My 8800GS/9600GSO cards with overclocked shaders (1700MHz) are beating my stock GTX 260 216 (1350MHz) in ppd. :o

It does seem that there is diminishing returns after the shader count gets above 128. Makes me wonder how Fermi is going to handle folding...

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:41 pm

My GTX 260-216 is the slowest of my 3 cards on those WU's.

I've got a picture of it happening right now:

It does seem really absurd to watch my 9600 GSO do over 7000 PPD on those while the 260 peaks at 7120 when the machine isn't being used.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:

It does seem really absurd to watch my 9600 GSO do over 7000 PPD on those while the 260 peaks at 7120 when the machine isn't being used.

Your IBM is getting 41PPD huh? What is that, a Cyrix? :wink:

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:52 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Your IBM is getting 41PPD huh? What is that, a Cyrix? :wink:

It's a 550 MHz P3, but the WU is an 84 point Amber core, P 4604. It does ~80 PPD or so on the 336 point WU's it usually gets. It only folds because I leave it running all the time in the LR waiting for me to want to look up something while watching television. And it lets me monitor the other folding machines.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:16 am

I'm wondering what people's experiences are running the GPU2 client on various video cards with differing shader counts on the same rig.

I want to move my GT 240 into my main PC, which is currently folding with a GTX 285. Will this hamper the overall output of the two cards?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:06 am

Ragnar Dan wrote:

I've got FAHmon running on my pc with the GT240 now. I'm only getting 3600PPD. Shaders are at 1650.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:37 am

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:

I've got FAHmon running on my pc with the GT240 now. I'm only getting 3600PPD. Shaders are at 1650.

I see 4393ppd on the 9600GSO, so 3600 does not seem too far off? Where's the 7000ppd? Anyway, may be your GT240 is chewing on a slow WU?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:44 am

Flying Fox wrote:
I see 4393ppd on the 9600GSO, so 3600 does not seem too far off? Where's the 7000ppd? Anyway, may be your GT240 is chewing on a slow WU?

I've been watching it for a couple of days now. It stays around 3600 to 3800 on more than one type of WU.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:53 am

Flying Fox wrote:

The 7000 is just the figure I've seen for one of those 3470 WU's on the 9600GSO. At least that's the peak. It takes another second per frame every once in a while. In the screenshot, my 8800GT is running a 3470 at over 8000 PPD, while the GTX 260 is getting only 6865 there, though when I use the machine for browsing and posting it slows its progress a little bit.

Maybe Gerbil Jedidiah had an EARLY_UNIT_END he hasn't noticed? That'll slow it down for sure.

Edit: My 9600GSO's settings are: Core = 600, memory = 900 (* 2 = 1800 @DDR3), shader: stock 1700, now at 1735.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
My 785G system seems to be drawing more, but I forgot if I got those numbers when I had a HD4550 plugged in. I will measure again once I get my Kill-A-Watt back from a friend who I lent it to.

Idle with 785G and X2 250 @3.0GHz (stock and CnQ'ed) and undervolted to 1.280V: ~50W
Folding with VMware server and Ubuntu 9.10 at low priority: ~90W
The CPU can go up to 3.6GHz but it needs 1.36V and power consumption shoots up by 30W+ so I am not going there.

It is doing those 60xx's at about 22-23 hours with total points (including bonus) of around 1630-1760 each. According to HFM.net I'm doing around ~1800ppd for most projects, vs the E6300+G33 platform which is closer to 1650ppd. They are really close and I bet if I overclock the E6300 to the same GHz they will perform the same. As I said no more SSE discrimination against AMD CPUs for these A3's, which is a good thing.

GJ, do you have numbers when you use the 780G IGP? That way we can deduce the delta that the discrete card adds and if the additional power is worth the points.

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
flybywire wrote:

There are many issues, the unfortunate thing is that it ended up just a few heavy hitters contributing to the collective and when one has a down period the results suffer significantly. For the past few years it has been especially problematic with the crappy SMP and still-not-up-to-snuff GPU clients that even Damage said he had a hard time making a recommendation to the larger gerbil audience. Let's hope that the new SMP client once it is out of beta will bring enough improvements for us to do more effective recruitment again.

thecoldanddarkone

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:32 pm

It looks like I might be folding a bit again. I've got an 8800gt that my brother gave me. My Athlon x3+mobo are in the mail.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:24 pm

thecoldanddarkone wrote:
It looks like I might be folding a bit again. I've got an 8800gt that my brother gave me. My Athlon x3+mobo are in the mail.

Excellent! That hardware should be good for 6k to 8k PPD. Maybe even more if you can meet the deadlines on the a3 cores and get the bonuses.

Are you planning on unlocking the 4th core and overclocking?

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:27 pm

thecoldanddarkone wrote:

Good for you. But watch out for the 5910 WU's. Lately they seem to be dominating everything, and they are lower PPD compared to several others.

thecoldanddarkone

Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
thecoldanddarkone wrote:

Excellent! That hardware should be good for 6k to 8k PPD. Maybe even more if you can meet the deadlines on the a3 cores and get the bonuses.

Are you planning on unlocking the 4th core and overclocking?

We'll see when it gets here, I purchased a fairly cheap mobo. I'll see how much headroom (if any) it has. I'm going to aim for 4-5k. I figure with using the machine 3-4 hours a day that's a pretty decent target.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd