Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

jsbach11
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Why Folding@Home could be helpful to all people

Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:43 pm

I rejoined the Folding Effort not too long ago. Within 4 days I had jumped from spot #439 (after a 9 month hiatus) to #177 (last time I checked). I noticed that our team, The Tech Report team, which was on a steep and consistent rise to one day take first place, i.e. #1 in the world as the top contributor to a common goal that could mean so much to us? But now, how could our performance drop, as it has, over the last few weeks? How could I, with only a single AMD XP 1800+, make a nearly meteoric rise in performance? What is going on, friends?

May I recall a quote from that great film, Ghostbusters, in which actor Ernie Hudson, playing the character Winston Zeddemore, also known as the "Fourth Ghostbuster," with celebratory cheer and dignity says after defeating the ancient Sumerian God, Gozer, "We had the tools, we had the talent!"

Do we not, have the combined resources and talent to rise to this occasion? Do we not have the tools and the talent to take back what must be ours? We were Tenth in the world! We can be #1!

I say that we all contribute a bit here about what we know about folding and why it is helpful to all humans and to our humanity.

If anyone cares to hear my shpiel, I will start off. Otherwise, feel free to go at it.

If you haven't heard anything about it yet, start here first:
http://www.tech-report.com/etc/folding/

And with that, I have metamorphosed from Gerbil Team Leader to Gerbil XP!!! BTW, XP == Extreme Programming, not "Windows XP."

nismo
Gerbil

Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:14 pm

It would probably take a few years(5+) to get to the level the #1 team is at. That may sound pessimistic, but it is a clear observation of what this team can accomplish. Even though we aren't #1, that doesn't mean we stop folding.

Right before Thanksgiving, I built my first computer. As I have nothing to take advantage of its potential, I remebered F@H. I read about how it can help us understand proteins, to the point that some diseases may be cured/treated. This is very important to me for personal reasons.

So now I'm running 2 comps almost 24/7 for the last month(2.8Ghz total). By now I should be in the top 100. I don't know if that is good or bad for the Team, but whatever I can do to help, I will.

Whatever reason people fold for, it should be the total of everyone's computing power that matters. There might even be people who fold just to get a high score(me, kinda), but at the same time they are helping. This is just my view of the purpose for F@H, so I could be wrong, but atleast think about how it will help future generations.

Phew, I'm spent.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:54 pm

Ok, I stopped jacking around and got all my stuff doing F@H.

Went from

1 1.8A P4

to

2 1.8A P4
1 1.9 P4
1 Athlon XP 1900+
1 Athlon 1333MHz
1 Athlon XP 2.2GHz

That ought to help a bit.

getbornagain
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Dec 22, 2002 9:02 pm

well my personal production as fell as of late as i've come home from college for christmas break...and also many of my friends comps who were also folding so my production will be down for a while :cry:

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 22, 2002 9:12 pm

Nice to see the religion still taking hold. I am doing everything I can to keep as much of my farm up as possible. Keep the folding alive :).
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse