Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Maph
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:39 pm

is more than 1 serial needed if using it on more than 1 system?

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:00 am

Sounds like something you could test for the rest of us. :D

Maph
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:39 am

well it ask u to put in the number of serials needed, i figure the others arleady went through this :) i hope my Japan area code works...

sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:17 pm

any advice on how to get it working while running on a network with ISA Server 2004 ?
Science is forbidden. Laboratories manufacture danger!

Maph
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:34 am

I am getting the same error on my machines. when i restart a system(i had set to auto startup when computer starts up) and click on the vmware console icon, clicking the connect host icon which brings up local host/connect to remote dialogue, it gives me a '511 vmware-serverd service is not running' error. i had already installed xubuntu using the iso way...but now i cannot connect to my virtual machine. anyone has an idea on how to solve this?

sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:19 pm

well i fixed my issues and got the FAH to download the core and unit... however I think my client can't get passed the "NNODES=4" lines... any ideas?

Maph
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Seems the only solution is to stop and restart all of the vmware related services by hand. I am running 2k so not sure if this happens under xp as well. also due to using vnc the mouse control w/i vmware is very off. lost 2 vmware folder this way(they have the windows client running still) but added 2 native linux SMP folding machines.

as for the serial, i put in the same one and it didnt seem to matter, tho i did request more than one just in case

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:13 pm

I'm intrigued by this, basically I know nothing about Linux ,the directions seem to be very detailed for someone of my limited knowledge.Maybe I'll try this on my 4200 X2 .
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:08 pm

I'm intrigued by this, basically I know nothing about Linux ,the directions seem to be very detailed for someone of my limited knowledge.Maybe I'll try this on my 4200 X2 .

It does run well on X2s and C2Ds with VMware (your X2 should do close to 800PPD!). Although can set VMware process priority to low, this is not the same as setting the regular console client to idle. i.e. you might notice an impact for some things. I sometimes stop it (ctrl-C) in those cases (and restart it after I'm done).
Very brief notes on Linux. 1) case sensitive 2) directory uses / and not \ 3) ls lists the directory 4) to get back to the user's main directory, just type cd 5) spaces are important (i.e. can't do stuff like dir/B as in Windows console)
And we're here if you have any questions
Good luck! :D
edit: see the new instructions - it now permits to change the priority with taskmgr to below normal and low.
Last edited by Tarx on Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep folding!

-Druid-
Gerbil First Class

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:12 am

Don't use ISA, sure fire way to fix that problem.....

The REAL reason I posted on this thread is can we get it stickied?
I give up trying to get my fricken signature working.... damn tags. I'm a folder not a HTML/PHPBB programer JIM!

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:40 pm

NotFred's mini SMP Linux client setup is even better!

We should also have one on the Windows SMP client (including the tricks needed to get it working as a service!)

For this one, I also want to make a few changes/improvements to the first post (I need to rerun the updated procedure to make sure it is ok first).
I noticed that with the current setup, that can't adjust the vmware.exe priority with taskmgr. With a few changes it can. Also memory (400MB is fine) can be less if just folding. And would add a quick launch "batch file".
And once have it running, there is no need to keep the VMware Server console running. It will keep running when the console is closed. Nice stealth mode! And when reopening the console - there it is! still running!
For those with Windows and X2s, and perhaps C2Ds, I think Linux SMP client under VMware is the way to go until the Windows SMP client is improved.
Keep folding!

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:34 am

The first post has been updated and improved!

If want to use taskmgr to modify the priority of guestOS, will need to create a new guest OS.

Currently using Ubuntu 7.04 instead of 6.10 - either works fine, but if you want to play with Linux, strongly suggest to use 7.04

Let me know if there are any mistakes, or improvements needed - I'll update the first post again with that in a week.
Keep folding!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:47 pm

Tarx wrote:
9. Install the SMP folding client by typing the following:
mkdir -p ~/folding/FAH
cd ~/folding/FAH
wget http://folding.stanford.edu/release/FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz
tar xzf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz

10. Configure it. Note that this client works fairly similar to the console client.
cd ~/folding
./fah5 -configonly
This is similar to the standard console configuration (the team is 2630)
http://www.techreport.com/etc/folding/. However answer yes for "Allow receipt of work assignments greater than 5MB in size" and don't accept WU without deadlines (in advanced setting). Suggest to accept advanced work units. And if run into timing problems with an AMD cpu, can set ignore deadline information.

11. Run it by typing
cd ~/folding
./fah5 -forceasm -verbosity 9 (and any other parameters desired)
It should download the SMP Gromacs core and then a work unit (WU).
Note to stop it, just hit Ctrl-C. It will take up to a minute before all 4 threads are shut down, so don't restart the client before then!

12. To create an easy script to start this, type the following
cd ~
nano startfah
This opens a simple edit program. Type the following and then press Ctrl-X and then Y to save it.
cd ~/folding
./fah5 -forceasm -verbosity 9
Finally type
chmod +x startfah
Now when open the terminal, just type ./startfah and it will start SMP folding with the usual parameters.
Note if want different parameters (e.g. for -oneunit or reconfigure the client), then the original method applies (see step 11).

A few things I noticed, and am not sure whether they've always been this way:
10. Seems like it should say cd ~/folding/FAH, and in 11. and 12. where appropriate.

12. After the script text you should probably say "and save the script by pressing CTRL-X and then answering Y to the editor's prompt" or some such, and then say "Finally, at the command prompt type chmod +x startfah..."

I also think the extra FAH directory is unnecessary, but it's not a big enough deal to care about... That idea originally comes from the SMP FAQ at Stanford, and it's probably best to leave it simple by following their lead.

I'd prefer if this post could be deleted afterward, and if you make the corrections (If I'm right about them) and I notice before anyone posts after me, I can still delete it. Otherwise this thread will get filled up with useless stuff until a moderator can delete posts, if they're so inclined.

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:55 am

Thanks for correction Ragnar Dan!
And yes I agree that since the official FAQ mentioned FAH, I matched that in these instructions.
Keep folding!

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:44 pm

This works great guys. I just did the install with vmware and ubuntu 6.10 64-bit.

You should add a step to update the app-get list. I had to do this before my i chould download the 32-bit lib files.

Also would this work with xubuntu - 64 bit? I've read that its a little easier on resources.

Thanks

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:38 pm

liquid_mage wrote:
This works great guys. I just did the install with vmware and ubuntu 6.10 64-bit.

You should add a step to update the app-get list. I had to do this before my i should download the 32-bit lib files.

Also would this work with xubuntu - 64 bit? I've read that its a little easier on resources.

Thanks

Good to hear that it worked well! I'm not sure what you meant about the app-get - it just worked as is, but I was using Ubuntu 7.04 when I last tested it.
It probably would work with xubuntu as well, and other 64bit Linuxes (as long as get the 32bit lib files installed). Anybody want to try it out? :D
Keep folding!

Maph
Gerbil Elite

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:28 am

all of mine are running xubuntu 6.10 w/o problem

sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:17 pm

has anyone noticed any difference between vmware 1.01 and 1.02?

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:37 pm

sativa wrote:
has anyone noticed any difference between vmware 1.01 and 1.02?

For me, nope. The release notes mentioned it fixed a few bugs, improved security, fixed a memory leak and improved performance for some Intel CPUs.
http://www.vmware.com/support/server/do ... erver.html
Keep folding!

iamajai
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun May 06, 2007 12:55 am

Thanks for the great guide Tarx. I followed the instructions and I've just turned in my first Linux workunit...working now on a 1760 pointer...woohoo.

Note: Step 10 still needs to be corrected for path should say cd ~/folding/FAH otherwise it works great.

Interested to see how much my ppd improves as I was running the Windows SMP client for the past few weeks. Only drawback so far is that the VMWare client doesn't give up CPU cycles like the normal Windows SMP client does so I need to shut it down or pause it to play games...but that just makes the incentive to keep it folding all the time greater.
Acer AO521, Asus EEE2G, and an e6300 (EP45-DS3L, 4GB Corsair, 320GB 7200.10, EVGA GT250, Corsair VX450W and Samsung 2043BW)

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun May 06, 2007 7:48 am

Fixed! No idea how that snuck by...
Thanks iamajai!
Keep folding!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon May 14, 2007 11:52 pm

HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows. Should be useful for those wanting to read the Ubuntu Linux SMP FAHlog.txt file from in Windows, or another computer on your network. I use a particular editor to read it so the fact that it lacks carriage returns doesn't make it look wrong in Windows.

If you want to do this the fastest way, open the link above from a browser running inside Linux. That way you can copy the config. file the page lists, and quickly edit it and get things running. I had to edit the path and username, and my workgroup name, and that made it work.

pedro
Gerbil First Class

Sat May 26, 2007 4:55 am

I've just d/led ubuntu-7.04-desktop-amd64.iso. It seems very, very tiny (8983 KB) - this can't possibly be right can it? This is an OS afterall? Linux distros I've used before have all been in the range of 6-700 MB.

Any help appreciated on this one - I want to fold this way. Cheers.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat May 26, 2007 7:11 am

pedro wrote:
I've just d/led ubuntu-7.04-desktop-amd64.iso. It seems very, very tiny (8983 KB) - this can't possibly be right can it? This is an OS afterall? Linux distros I've used before have all been in the range of 6-700 MB.

Any help appreciated on this one - I want to fold this way. Cheers.
It's 700 megs for me. May be you have a broken download? Use a download manager or bittorrent to download it properly.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:23 pm

With the arrival of the 2608/2609 projects for the Linux SMP project, it has had a noticeable impact on many CPUs. So, I've updated the first post (the FAQ) with the following:
"- The computer needs to be on most of the time to be able to make the tight deadlines. It is the preferred deadlines that must be considered as although will still get points for completing within the final deadline, the WU will be reissued if can't complete before the final deadline. With the latest cache loving projects (e.g. 2608/2609), lower end X2s with a small cache (e.g. non-OCed X2-3800+) would have trouble completing within the preferred deadline, especially if running under VMware and so isn't suggested to use this client.
- The SMP client currently often doesn't use 100% of the CPU (can see as low as 80% use). Some people also run a regular folding client (or two) to take advantage of remaining idle CPU cycles. However with recent projects (e.g. 2608/2609) that often use 95%, this will have a noticeable impact on the SMP client."

edit: New! This information no longer applies as the preferred deadline for the troublesome projects for X2s (2608/2609) now have been increased to match the final deadline! So keep running those X2-3800+ with the Linux SMP client in VMware! (note Turion TL-50/52 however are still most likely too slow.) The FAQ has been changed back as a result.
Last edited by Tarx on Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep folding!

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:53 am

The FAQ has been updated. The main items is the additional -smp flag (otherwise will just get regular non-SMP WUs) and that the name is now fah6 instead of fah5.
Also VMWare server is now version 1.4. Just download it from http://www.vmware.com/download/server/ and rerun it

edit: Thanks for the updated download address Ragnar Dan!
Last edited by Tarx on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep folding!

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:51 pm

This is **** ridiculous. Does someone have a working, spare license/name/company thing?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:09 am

Nitrodist wrote:
This is **** ridiculous. Does someone have a working, spare license/name/company thing?
If you mean VMware Server then it is actually free for download. Only VMware Workstation and VMware Virtual Infrastructure (formerly known as ESX Server) are for-fee products.

Edit: well, free registration for keys anyways.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:25 am

Flying Fox wrote:

Edit: well, free registration for keys anyways.

Which aren't working....

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:42 pm

The registration page http://register.vmware.com/content/registration.html isn't working?

I also noticed server version 2 beta looks interesting (e.g. finally USB2 support!). I'll try that out in the next few days.
Keep folding!