Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Re: Welcome to team 2630!

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:25 pm

I thought it was both, but you may be right. I never got them until I went and registered for a passkey, but maybe it was just that they didn't have many A3 WU's and it coincidentally happened that way.

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Hello all!

SOG here. Really wanna get back into the rough with you all! 8)

Ok, I have a new rig that needs to be put to work. I wanna use all the resources that I can. So, I need help. I will be using the SMP client as I have a 8 threader CPU. But I really want to utilize the ATI card. It is a 5870 that was bought dirt cheap and it really needs to be put to work! I have gotten the CPUs to work right on the SMP client, but I can't get the ATI to show up... Am I missing something?

Thanks!
A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
Edward Teller

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:42 pm

Nice to have you SomeOtherGeek. I just joined again as well.

Make sure you sign up for a passkey, that way you will start raking in the big points. Can you show us the log for the ATI client?
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:59 pm

mmmmmdonuts21 wrote:

Make sure you sign up for a passkey, that way you will start raking in the big points. Can you show us the log for the ATI client?

Hi! That is the problem, I don't think my ATI is kicking in. I used the -smp 8 flag and it shows my CPU using all 8 theads, but nothing about the ATI. Is there a flag for running the ATI?

Thanks!

PS, I still have all the parts that Jeffery gave me. All the cards and processor, but the MB is shot... :cry: Still looking for a board for that farm.
A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
Edward Teller

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi! That is the problem, I don't think my ATI is kicking in. I used the -smp 8 flag and it shows my CPU using all 8 theads, but nothing about the ATI. Is there a flag for running the ATI?

The GPU and the CPU use two different clients. You need to run one for the CPU and one for the GPU. Here is a guide to setting up the GPU: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide

Make sure when you set up the GPU make sure you go to advance settings and set the priority to low instead of idle and that you allow big WU's.
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:43 pm

mmmmmdonuts21 wrote:

The GPU and the CPU use two different clients. You need to run one for the CPU and one for the GPU. Here is a guide to setting up the GPU: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide

Make sure when you set up the GPU make sure you go to advance settings and set the priority to low instead of idle and that you allow big WU's.

Hey, thanks! I saw where I missed the -forcegpu flag! I knew I was missing something. Well, I got the GPU up and running now. About 4K in points coming for UGN.

Hooking up the CPU now.
Edward Teller

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Ok, all hooked up. ATI definitely sucks at folding. Awaiting the GPU3 to come out. About 11K to UGN.

I know I'm not using all 8 threads. It hogs my main machine... Oh well.
Edward Teller

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:47 am

SomeOtherGeek wrote:
mmmmmdonuts21 wrote:

Thanks!

PS, I still have all the parts that Jeffery gave me. All the cards and processor, but the MB is shot... :cry: Still looking for a board for that farm.

May want to test out if -smp 7 is better overall, since the GPU client does use some CPU cycles.

BTW what motherboard do you need?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
May want to test out if -smp 7 is better overall, since the GPU client does use some CPU cycles.

BTW what motherboard do you need?

Ok, will do. Jeffry gave me a MSI X38 MB that had at least 3 16X PCIe slots. Really was kickin' with that baby. Pumping around 24K a day! :o
Edward Teller

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Need to get a new heatsink for the CPU. It is sitting around 80C folding. Not comfortable with those numbers. Any suggestions for a heatsink? I'm looking at the Cooler Master V8 or V10. I would like to overclock the CPU anyway.
Edward Teller

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:26 am

I suggest the Corsair H50 and pick up two fans Scythe kaze Fans from newegg and put them in a push pull configuration (or really any two fans that are the same that push a decent amount of air). My 1055T is running overclocked at 3.5Ghz at something like 28 degrees at half fan speed. I love this heatsink plus it does not take up a lot of room at all.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Back to folding, just with a PS3 (if it still works?), my macbook (2.2ghz dual core), and my desktop's SMP (Q9300 at around 3.2ghz)

I'm assuming it's not worth trying to convince my Radeon HD4890 to try anything? This is all in my bedroom and I dont think the added heat for negligable points is going to be good.

Edit: Ew, only 225 for this WU? I knew GPU was better but I didn't realize it had actually actively g otten worse for SMP ppd
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:45 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
just with a PS3 (if it still works?)
Fixed at 900ppd. If you have one of the older versions that draws about 200W at the wall, not exactly power efficient. (I would say it is good for an effort such as Frankie, that campaign will last for another week or so)

pikaporeon wrote:
my macbook (2.2ghz dual core)
Not sure how Folding performance is under OS X. Also, make sure you have enough cooling for the MacBook.

pikaporeon wrote:
my desktop's SMP (Q9300 at around 3.2ghz)
Ew, only 225 for this WU? I knew GPU was better but I didn't realize it had actually actively g otten worse for SMP ppd
You need to get the passkey so that after your 10th A3 unit (the new units are mostly A3 core based), you get early return bonus that will make the WU equivalent and most of the time better ppd than the old A1/A2 WUs. If you want instant gratification you can join TRFrankenbot and PM DancinJack for that key. Moreover, you need to use HFM.NET to get the bonus points shown. FahMon AFAIK has not been updated with the bonus so it will give you the wrong numbers.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:41 pm

Turned the Macbook off because it was just way too noisy, I'll keep the PS3 rolling while I'm not paying utilities and just the SMP client going for now.

Even if I'm not doing well, there's something I've liked about working under my own name. I might ask if i can use my brother's machine for the franken.

I'm not sure what you mean about this passkey to get bonus points, can you elaborate a bit?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:30 am

pikaporeon wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean about this passkey to get bonus points, can you elaborate a bit?

It is a new security measure they implemented to control cheating, essentially a digital signature that is assigned to a particular user name. As a reward for using the passkey they give you bonus points on some of the SMP WUs; if the WUs are turned around in a timely manner, the bonus points can be quite substantial.

More info at these links:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70789
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 65&start=0
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:03 pm

just brew it! wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:

It is a new security measure they implemented to control cheating, essentially a digital signature that is assigned to a particular user name. As a reward for using the passkey they give you bonus points on some of the SMP WUs; if the WUs are turned around in a timely manner, the bonus points can be quite substantial.

More info at these links:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70789
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 65&start=0

Cliff's Notes version:
1. Use your email address to request the passkey for your F@H user name on Stanford's site
2. Put the passkey when you do a "-configonly"
3. Wait for 10 Fah_a3.exe WUs
4. Watch the points roll in with HFM.net/EOC/Stanford

JBI: I am still not seeing how this can be a security measure. If someone wants to give points to me why would I refuse? :P

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:50 am

Now at around 3000 ppd. Not a massive number as I don't want to replace my video card, but it feels good to be back.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:16 am

Flying Fox wrote:
JBI: I am still not seeing how this can be a security measure. If someone wants to give points to me why would I refuse? :P

IIRC there were some incidents a few years back where people were illegally "borging" systems at work/school, not always under their own user name. Stanford was faced with the unpalatable choice of letting the points stand, arbitrarily zeroing out the totals (of both legitimate and illegitimate WUs) for the affected users, or sorting through all of the WU submissions to try and determine which ones were really legit.

Encouraging contributors to use a passkey that only they (or people they trust) know has the potential to help them deal with situations like that.

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Hey TR. Joined the effort recently with my Atom contributing a poor 29 ppd. Borged my sisters laptop while it's here and she's away to contribute (it's one of the best pre-i7 dual cores). Also decided to start the space heater up since I feel this room is a little cold: Pentium D with HT. It's passively cooled, so I'm a little worried about temps at the moment but it flying compared to the Atom. Also got a passkey so should be helping out soon.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Welcome to the team!

An Atom, eh? Can't say I've heard of anyone else trying that. I'm pretty sure that is less PPD than my old K6-III was doing (back when it was still folding).

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:23 pm

It's what I've got for the next six months or so. It'll do for now. Since I'm only running 32-bit Linux it can only run one thread though. It's a bit of a pain in that respect.
Edit: Quick look says the Pentium D running at 2.8Ghz on two cores is about 6x faster than the Atom.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

kitsura
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 am

Welcome, we could use every single point. I started folding on PS3 but stopped once it started turning in too little points to bother.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Welcome to TechReport Folding "Summer Vacation Tour 2013".

There, I just dropped an anchor here. I'm folding for now until the heat becomes unbearable. :-? Anybody else?

Khali
Gerbil XP

Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Been at it for a week or so myself. In that short time I am closing in on 200k points. Not too shabby for just one week from what I can tell. I will probably keep going until I have a good reason to slow down or stop for a bit.

PranavG
Gerbil In Training

Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:43 am

Hi guys! also kinda new to this thread. I've been looking for a group similar to this,,, well it is a relief that I found you guys. Been thinking of replacing my unit. Well, upon scrolling I saw that some units are mentioned. Will definitely check some out.
MrPranavGandhi :lol: