Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Folding, why do we do this? Here is a reason...

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi all,
Some know me fairly well here but have been quite busy. I usually don't go on about personal issues on the web, but thought it was an appropriate forum for this.

My mother has a slow-progressing version of ALS, so folding@home has a personal meaning to me... My mom was a very healthy person. She didn't drink, exercised a lot, gardened, etc. She was the person in the extended family who took care of everyone, and helped everyone out. This just came and surprised everyone in the family, and angered all of us over the unfairness of it all. Now she is getting a lot of return favors, but you can only do so much...

My mom on the right, my wife and son.

She is unable to walk now, has only 50% of her breathing capacity, can barely talk, and her hands work like claws now. All the things she loves to do she can no longer perform.

She is on a Lithium treatment with high hopes, but every year there is a decline in abilities. I am hoping this folding effort will pan out to useful science in finding a cure and/or reversal for this disease while the s__t-heads in DC prevent stem-cell research which is probably one of the most promising ways in re-generating nerves.

Interesting article with ALS:

http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlser ... io.0060170

Please let me know if the link works.

Personally I have has to quit folding since my PC has become unstable under load and I have to make it live a bit longer to make some money with it. I have GOT to get a new box with a few decent GPUs in it, I just cannot pull it off right now.

So get off your duffs and fold for the TR team and give my mom a little more hope!

-LS

sluggo
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Folding, why do we do this? Here is a reason...

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:54 pm

Liquid - thanks for the reminder. I was just looking at my electric bill wondering why I was subsidizing Stanford and their $18B+ endowment. Good to remember that it's what you give that matters, not what you get.

My best to your mom and family.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action - Goethe

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:48 pm

Best wishes to your mom. Tell her we're pulling for her.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:51 pm

I've got three boxes folding. They aren't very fast, but something is better than nothing.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:07 am

I hereby dedicate my badassedness to liquidsquid's momma . . . 8)

i will fold until the cows stop mooing.