Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

HurgyMcGurgyGurg
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Hope for 4000 Series and ATI for folding overall?

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:19 am

Everyone knows that Nvidia is pretty much undisputed for value in folding power, evidently with the 8800 GS or GT out preforming the 4870, its hard to dispute that fact.

However, when some new WU's were released about two months ago PPD nearly doubled for the 4000 series. Many of course thought this was the end of bonus for the 4000 series and found whatever reason they could to explain the 4000 series folding deficiency. I ended up purchasing a 4870 (Not just for folding) with hopes that more improvements would happen in the future. I clung to a few stray post in the Folding Support Forums mentioning how Standford classified the GPU WU as Small and Medium sized, with no large WU available.

Since the 4000 series has a good deal more SP's than Nvidia cards the main hope is that the larger WU with more atoms will be much more efficient.

So anyways, I found this article
http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2008/11/04/amd-folding-explained-future-reveale/

And the last paragraph seems to offer some good hope:

"So, we have shown you the problem, and now the time is for the solution. ATI can’t fix the performance issue on previous-gen hardware, but it will solve multitude of issues on Radeon 4800 boards. The team at Stanford is taking some necessary steps to re-do the workflow and introduce local memory share. This could take months, so realistic goal is to have a new client coming in Q1′09.
Once that Radeon 4870 gets fully utilized, those 800 shaders and 70% of theoretical value (700-800 GFLOPS instead of 1-1.2 TFLOPS) should be good enough for reaching the level of GTX280."

The guy cites he contacted Stanford in regards to his article so if this is accurate, folding is looking a lot brighter for the 4000 series, especially those 4870X2's some of you have. :D

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Re: Hope for 4000 Series and ATI for folding overall?

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:36 am

The new ATI client, when it arrives, will be a boon for sure. :D
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:40 am

HurgyMcGurgyGurg wrote:
Everyone knows that Nvidia is pretty much undisputed for value in folding power, evidently with the 8800 GS or GT out preforming the 4870, its hard to dispute that fact.
<snip>
The guy cites he contacted Stanford in regards to his article so if this is accurate, folding is looking a lot brighter for the 4000 series, especially those 4870X2's some of you have. :D

Given how Stanford's support is for Folding clients, I have my doubts that the onus is entirely AMD's. The point disparity between AMD and nvidia is far less important to me than a good WinSMP client.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:47 am

TheEmrys wrote:
HurgyMcGurgyGurg wrote:
<snip>

Given how Stanford's support is for Folding clients, I have my doubts that the onus is entirely AMD's. The point disparity between AMD and nvidia is far less important to me than a good WinSMP client.

Amen brother! I would like to be able to run the SMP and GPU clients together without fear of a crash.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:55 am

jeffry55 wrote:
TheEmrys wrote:

Amen brother! I would like to be able to run the SMP and GPU clients together without fear of a crash.

I would just be happy if SMP client in general is more stable. :-?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:57 am

Ditto. :x

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:27 am

Flying Fox wrote:
jeffry55 wrote:
TheEmrys wrote:

I would just be happy if SMP client in general is more stable. :-?

Now that we are digressing a bit from the original thread content, I even had issues with the Linux SMP client stalling or freezing up in Linux! :o

At least the NVidia GPU client is stable (knock on silicon), for now. :lol: :roll:

And now, back to the thread .......................

Is the current ATI GPU client reliable?

00-Evan
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:31 pm

it's reliable if you're lucky.
[email protected], P8P67 PRO, 8GiB [email protected], GTX 570, Xonar DX, Intel 510 120GB, Deskstar 7k3000 3TB, Corsair 600T, OCZ Fatal1ty 750W.