Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

espetado
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

GTX260 questions

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:07 pm

Hello people,

I just newly installed an Asus GTX260 and at the same time I was getting interested in folding again (my last uploaded results is from more then a year ago).
So here go my questions;
I upgraded from a 8800GTS 320 mb and installed the gpu client, i red a bunch of stuff on these forums but still don't understand where everybody is getting the speed readings of the gpu client. I do know my gtx260 is a lot faster in folding. I started a thread with the gts and then upgraded to my gtx260 and it finfished 2 hours faster the, it would with the gts.
Also I don't have any issues in games anymore when playing with the gpu client active. I'm running vista64 and now playing Fallout3.
Is there anybody who can give some clarity, maybe someone with a 260? Is yours running hot? I mean, it is a lot noisier then the gts but at idle it's still getting 80 degrees celcius. I now have the included Smartdoctor from Asus installed and permanently set my fan to 55%, that way it's constantly between 75-78 degrees celcius under load.

regards,
M
Last signature sucked.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Re: GTX260 questions

Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:44 pm

espetado wrote:
Hello people,

I just newly installed an Asus GTX260 and at the same time I was getting interested in folding again (my last uploaded results is from more then a year ago).
So here go my questions;
I upgraded from a 8800GTS 320 mb and installed the gpu client, i red a bunch of stuff on these forums but still don't understand where everybody is getting the speed readings of the gpu client. I do know my gtx260 is a lot faster in folding. I started a thread with the gts and then upgraded to my gtx260 and it finfished 2 hours faster the, it would with the gts.
Also I don't have any issues in games anymore when playing with the gpu client active. I'm running vista64 and now playing Fallout3.
Is there anybody who can give some clarity, maybe someone with a 260? Is yours running hot? I mean, it is a lot noisier then the gts but at idle it's still getting 80 degrees celcius. I now have the included Smartdoctor from Asus installed and permanently set my fan to 55%, that way it's constantly between 75-78 degrees celcius under load.

regards,
M

Hello M,
Welcome back to TEam TR and Folding! :D

You can monitor your points per day with FahMon. It is a fairly simple folding monitor utility. It is not 100% accurate but it does the job. I have a 260 GTX and I am getting 6480 ppd most of the time. It depends on the Work Unit mix you get.

When you install FAhMon and set it up to monitor your 260 GTS, the path will be:

In Vista - C:\Users \(Your user name)\Application Data\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu)

In XP - C:\Documents and Settings\(Your user name)\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu)

Happy Folding!

I don't have temperature issues with my 260 GTX. I have a pretty large case with 120mm fans that move a lot of air.
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

espetado
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:47 am

Thanks man. I now installed the gpu on xp also. There soens't seem to be a temperature issue there. Untill.. I installed the Smartdoctor from Asus itself. Now the automatic control just switches the fan off untill the gpu reaches 80 degrees and then turns it to 100% untill it's 60-ish again. Mmmh, junk software.
Last signature sucked.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:19 pm

Is 80C on a GPU really such a bad temperature? I remember the days when 100C was deemed ok for a GPU? :o
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

espetado
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:59 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Is 80C on a GPU really such a bad temperature? I remember the days when 100C was deemed ok for a GPU? :o

I don't have a problem with the temp being that high, I do have a problem with the cooler waking up the neighbours. I found the culprit though, it's the junk software that came with the card 'Asus Smart doctor'. When it is installed my card does't adjusts it's fan speed anymore, it only knows: 'completely shut down fan' and '100% leafblowing mode' when it hit's 80 degrees. Removed that software and all is fine again, I'll install an aditional 120mm fan to lower ambient temps.
Last signature sucked.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:55 pm

There are other software that can do the same job as SmartDoctor. I trust none of those motherboard manufacturer supplied software anyways. I believe RivaTuner is one of the tools that can do fan profiles and stuff (AtiTools, does that work with the GTX?)?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

espetado
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:06 pm

Ati tools works on xp but not vista. But I don't thing highly of that proggie. Riva Tuner is much better and I discovered that yesterday, installed it and happy with it. Thank you.
Last signature sucked.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:36 pm

RivaTuner works real well in XP & Vista.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:01 am

espetado wrote:
Hello people,

So here go my questions;

regards,
M

How is this bad boy running?! :o We have inquiring minds and we want to know!! :P

espetado
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:54 pm

It's running very good. Temps are under control now, Asus software removed, hello to riva tuner. And running an extra quiet Pabst 120mm cooler.

I do have some issues running the gpu client, for example; I can't work in any Adobe software, especially Photoshop, I have to pause the client and everything runs fast again. With the client running my system is running fine untill I startup any kind of movie or Adobe software; then it gets choppy to say the least.
Oh, I don't know if this is related but since I installed the 260 my SB Xfi extreme Gamer is blasting noise at 100% through my headphones at startup. This goes on untill I click 'standard settings' in the xfi software.
Reinstalled the whole software, no improvement on that.
Last signature sucked.