Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

petcherd
Gerbil
Topic Author

Performance Tuning on NotFred

Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:00 pm

Is there a way to set "-smp 8" on NotFred's Folding set-up?

What is the function of this honkin' huge .tar file in each folding directory instance? Is it just the periodic backup? If it is, can I set the backup interval to 0 and gain this USB "disk" space back for folding? I keep getting screens full of out-of-space messages on my higher-performance rigs.

petcherd
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Performance Tuning on NotFred

Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:31 pm

OK, I'll even settle for a not-so-easy way. Any takers?

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:49 pm

No easy way. You would need to edit the init script that is part of the initrd file and change it and then rebuild the initrd (and the CD image if using the CD). Now that Stanford supports "-smp 8" I think I should support that rather than running 2 lots of a 4 CPU setup in the Folding CD.

Yes, that tar file is the backup, yes setting backup time to 0 should stop the backups.

Edit: One more thing, I've been contacted by someone who developed a set of scripts to do taskset to set the processor affinity automatically. I'm going to look at integrating that when I get a chance.

petcherd
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:39 am

I had a feeling it would be that involved. I tried to "cheat" by editing the HTML code in /etc/folding/reconfigure.html to add a line for -8, but I couldn't get it to persist.

I guess this would constitute a feature request for the next revision.

Another thing I'd like to know: I fold on borrowed equipment (with the owner's permission) sometimes. Is there an easy way to tell one of your folding instances to refrain from requesting another Work Unit when the present one is done? When I hit the "Kill Folding Cores" link on the web page, it seems to stop folding only to resume almost immediately. Have I misunderstood the function of this feature?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:51 pm

You need the -oneunit switch when launching the Fah executable. It may be a feature request but I think there are some issues with adding support for that.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.