Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

ManiacDC
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Notfred - attempt to access beyond end of device

Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:43 pm

I keep getting the following error after running the notfred VM client after a few days. I'm running VMWare player on Vista x64.

attempt to access beyond end of device
hda1: rw=1, want=20#####, limit=2088387

(where # is a number)

The only way I've found to fix this is to delete the vmdk file and start it from scratch again. Is there anyway to take care of this?

It seems the /proc directory is getting huge, the folding directory seems to be replicated in pretty much every /proc/#/cwd/. All the other directories combined (besides /proc) only take up about 113 MB.

BTW, I also kept running out of memory. I increased the Memory as defined in the VMX file to 960MB and haven't had an issue with that afterwards.

Thanks!
Maniac

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Notfred - attempt to access beyond end of device

Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:30 pm

Don't worry about /proc, it's not a real directory and the only directory that is actually on the drive is /hda and that only contains stuff when the backup script is running (it is unmounted the rest of the time). Some other people have reported this in the past and I'm a bit suspicious about my disk image and the partitioning on it. Unfortunately I'm having a few difficulties in other areas right now (having problems building with a new compiler) so there isn't anything I can really recommend, but it is on my list of things to look at.

ManiacDC
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:58 am

OK, thanks. Just so you know sometime after (not right away) this starts happening my PPD starts dropping from over 2500 PPD to 1700 PPD on this client. Also my CPU doesn't get used fully.

~Wiz~
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi...New to this forum. :)

I have just recently installed two of your VM's via USB. They are great and many thanks. I do suffer the same as this posts OP though and see the GPU ppd drop quite a lot. Rebooting the VM cures this but tonight the reboot led to a corrupt WU that was previously at 70% on that VM. :(

Is there any other fix for this? I have tried googling but nothing surfaces. Also what is the recommended size of the USB drive? I initially tried two VM's on one 2GB disk but ran out of space. I now have one VM per 2GB stick.

Other wise I'm mightily impressed and I'm advertising this to other members of the team I'm in...:)