Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Re: Earth to Segfault7!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:18 pm

Pretty close to what I meant, jeffry55, though I think my emphasis of the insignificance of UGN's worries compared to the team's can't be denied. If team 2630 continues its relative decline, your internal competition won't mean much any more.

When I can spend several consecutive days as the team's #8 producer with my small farm, we're in big trouble.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:43 am

Summer is upon us soon up here in the Northern Hemisphere, it is only going to get worse. :-?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Momento Mori
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:38 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
When I can spend several consecutive days as the team's #8 producer with my small farm, we're in big trouble.

Yep, that is a very good point... I have been drifting between #7-#5 and that is not a good sign for the team overall (my farm: PS3 x2 and this desktop GTX285 x2 + 1 i7 SMP). I also may end up turning some of my clients off in the heat of the summer here.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 01, 2009 7:13 am

Momento Mori wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:

Yep, that is a very good point... I have been drifting between #7-#5 and that is not a good sign for the team overall (my farm: PS3 x2 and this desktop GTX285 x2 + 1 i7 SMP). I also may end up turning some of my clients off in the heat of the summer here.

I've been debating what I should do myself. My system pumps out a LOT of hot air when it's folding(One GTX295 and one GTX280, CPU doesn't fold because I got tired of dealing with the SMP client).
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Fri May 01, 2009 10:51 am

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Momento Mori wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:

I've been debating what I should do myself. My system pumps out a LOT of hot air when it's folding(One GTX295 and one GTX280, CPU doesn't fold because I got tired of dealing with the SMP client).

Hey Jed, how did that water cooler work out? :o I think you would be better served by a water cooler that cools your video cards.

Summer heat sucks for sure! :x I've lived in Massachusettes and Ohio and I don't miss the high humidity heat one bit! :D You all should move to Redwood City, CA and be my neighbors! The summer is pretty mild here. Not much of a hit on your folding, especially when you keep your farm in the garage. :wink:
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 01, 2009 11:07 am

jeffry55 wrote:
Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Momento Mori wrote:

Hey Jed, how did that water cooler work out? :o I think you would be better served by a water cooler that cools your video cards.

Summer heat sucks for sure! :x I've lived in Massachusettes and Ohio and I don't miss the high humidity heat one bit! :D You all should move to Redwood City, CA and be my neighbors! The summer is pretty mild here. Not much of a hit on your folding, especially when you keep your farm in the garage. :wink:

I'm not a fan of water for videocards. The waterblocks are too expensive given how often I upgrade=) Plus, the hotness is still there, it's still heating up the house the same amount, just in a different way. Heck, overall it probably heats the house more due to friction of the water pump and mechanical losses of efficiency...

I posted results to my watercooling adventures in the other thread. :D
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2009 1:15 pm

Hmmmmmmmm .................................... every twelve days a small peak in production. :-? Something diabolical this way comes! :o :lol:

Shinare
Gerbil XP

Fri May 08, 2009 1:54 pm

Momento Mori wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:

Yup, I've turned off my 3GHz E6420 with 8800GTX already because of its heat output. That was 5000+ PPD. :( It was nice in January and February. Not anymore.
For with what measure you measure it will be measured to you.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 08, 2009 9:42 pm

Yep the summer is never kind to folding nodes. I am going to give it my best effort to stay 100% active though. I did last year, so it's possible. :)

I agree it's sad we have so few TR forum members contributing to the folding effort. The GPU client is so easy to run, and it is worth so many points... Tis a shame so few run it...

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 09, 2009 11:44 am

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Yep the summer is never kind to folding nodes. I am going to give it my best effort to stay 100% active though. I did last year, so it's possible. :)

I agree it's sad we have so few TR forum members contributing to the folding effort. The GPU client is so easy to run, and it is worth so many points... Tis a shame so few run it...

do ATI chips [radeon 4850 specifically] put up respective numbers yet?

Its way too hot in my room to run my processor, but if my 4850 is more than a drop in the bucket i may fire it up
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat May 09, 2009 12:14 pm

pikaporeon wrote:

Its way too hot in my room to run my processor, but if my 4850 is more than a drop in the bucket i may fire it up

Moderately powerful GPUs like the 4850 draws (and presumably dissipates) more power than a regular dual core CPU (and some quads). If your processor makes your room too hot already I doubt the 4850 will fare any better (if not worse) when loaded 100% all the time. Still a bit more points of the CPU SMP client though, so you may want to live with that compromise.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 09, 2009 1:32 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:

Moderately powerful GPUs like the 4850 draws (and presumably dissipates) more power than a regular dual core CPU (and some quads). If your processor makes your room too hot already I doubt the 4850 will fare any better (if not worse) when loaded 100% all the time. Still a bit more points of the CPU SMP client though, so you may want to live with that compromise.

Yeah the ATI cards can hit 5,000PPD now with the right WU so they are worth running. If it IS too hot, instead of shutting it down, just lower the utilization % until it doesn't put out too much heat, that way you still get to do a little science. :wink:

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 09, 2009 4:58 pm

im not sure if its how my case is organized or what, but ive always had my CPU be worse for room heat than my video card; its possible my video card is hotter but the air is being exhaled from my case in a way / direction that bothers me less

Right now im running both SMP [one instance of the Vista client] and the GPU; the SMP is being cannibalized by the GPU even when i set teh core affinity to one core for GPU - its going about 40 min a step which is... strange. I may just set up a VM for two cores and let the GPU pick up the rest

Im still on a 3000 ppd pace mind you (2421 from the GPU, 554 from the processor) and I haven't turned my PS3 on yet;
My laptop however seems to be choking all over both the GPU and SMP clients :( [its a core 2 T7200 or something, 2.0 ghz, with a geforce 8600GT]

Edit: im kinda daft; it's only being cannibalized when the GPU unit finishes and switches back to using all four cores; whats the best way of stopping that? (its using about 40% of each core)
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

JPinTO
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:08 pm

?

w00tstock
Gerbil

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:49 pm

wow Miracle thread resurrection. maybe you dont know what year it is?

JPinTO
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:23 am

Will the giant awake?

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:35 pm

He seems to come out of a long sleep, but then falls back asleep. He's building up a head of steam, but who can say how long it lasts?

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:59 pm

The Giant ....................................... is awake!! :o :D :P