Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Re: New to folding... list of random questions

Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Here's the place to get the Sysinternals utilities: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx.

Here's the latest Zip archive of the software suite itself: http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/SysinternalsSuite.zip.

cygnus1
Gerbil

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:51 pm

On the Vista task manager you can sometimes tell which service the svchost is by enabling the 'Command Line' column on the processes tab. If it's one the svchosts that run multiple services you'll need process explorer for sure.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:34 pm

Just to make it plain, Process Explorer is one of the utilities available from the Sysinternals "suite". The suite's really just a number of utilities, most of which are small and fairly simple. Fun to play around with, though.

Dagwood
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:43 am

With the holiday here, I'm going to put off finding the source for the high CPU use. For now the system is running fine without that service. I am going to let it crunch some work units. It's taking about 25 hours to do 1700 point WU's.

When I find anything out I post it here. Thanks for all the help. TR's forums is the one of the best.

[Edit: Grammar]

Dagwood
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Update:

System Internals processor explorer gave a name to the offender-- HPService.

It is a network monitoring program that looks for HP devices and connects them for you, at least that is what it says it does. After a few failed attempts at correcting the problem I found some advice that worked. I started "services.msc" from the command line and then changing "HP Network devices suport" from "automantic" to "manual" and that dropped the CPU use to near zero.

Great! now I am running at full speed...

Err... not really, I somehow destroyed the folding at home smp client and it refuses to run. It gives me nothing. Even after reinstalling it, all I get is the a flashing cursor in the command window. So, I am back to running the single core program. I am at work now and tomorrow I have a busy schedule that does not include "messing arround with the computer" So my output will suffer for a while.

Evaders99
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:35 pm

It probably expired, you'll need the new exe
http://folding.typepad.com/

Dagwood
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:24 pm

That was it! -- downloaded the "drop in binary" then cut and pasted it on top of the folding@home-win32-x86 file, then reran install.bat and -configonly. Now its picked up right where it left off.

Thanks