Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

notfred's CD not working...

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:22 pm

When I try to boot into the CD it said
Please double check your gateway and DNS information
Gateway:
DNS servers: 130.39.254.33

It's prolly my fault but, I can't get it working... I tried hooking my computer up using Ethernet also (normally Wi-Fi)... Idk if it is because my internet connection is password connected (but it doesn't require a password when using ethernet)... Also I left some boxes blank (like the interface one), wasn't sure what to put there... But I filled in mostly everything else such as Static IP, Default Gateway, DNS Server etc... Just a side note on my router's page (192.168.2.1) it has two DNS servers listed, so I just put the 1 one... Any ideas are much appreciated!

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: notfred's CD not working...

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:53 pm

It doesn't like what is in the default gateway box - that field is showing as blank rather than an IP address. If you have DHCP on your network, you shouldn't need to fill all that stuff in, it will work off DHCP. Oh, and just do it via wired Ethernet rather than wireless, there's no way to set up the wireless.

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Ok I will try that in one sec... Just goto format my USB... (Wasn't tagged as bootable)

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:20 pm

Ok it is working great! Just unsure what client it downloaded, because in the console it said version 6.02... Which is the old one...?

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Nvm guess it's 6.29... It works great, but after about 5 min my computer randomly turns off... Can you help???

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:14 pm

Ok, found out why it's turning off... But I don't get what it means exactly... It says
Warning: Processor Platform Limit event detected, but not handled. Consider compiling CPUfreq support into your kernel

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:15 am

Hmm, that sounds like you have Speedstep / EIST / Cool'n'Quiet enabled and it is changing when the kernel doesn't know about it. I don't remember if I enabled that stuff in the kernel or not, but I'm surprised that it is triggering without the kernel driving it. Try going in to the BIOS and disabling all that stuff, after all you want the processor running at the max possible when folding!

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:37 am

Hmm... Can't seem to find those in BIOS. but here are the options under the advanced tab...
Legacy USB Support: [Enabled]
Processor Assisted Virtualization: [Enabled]
Build-in LAN: [Enabled]
Wake on Keyboard: [Disabled]
Wake-up on LAN: [Enabled]
Critical Battery Wake-up: [Disabled]
Pointing Devices: [Enabled]
Illumination LED: [Enabled]
USB Sleep and Charge: [Disabled]
HDMI-CEC: [Enabled]
Remote Power On/Off: [Enabled]
SATA Controller Mode: [AHCI]

There are more tabs (such as security, boot, and main), but they don't have barely any options... (Maybe Processor Virtualization?, not sure what it was so decided to leave it)...

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Hmm, that's odd, I haven't seen a BIOS that limited in a while. It's not the Processor Virtualization option, that's a different kettle of fish.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:36 pm

Looks through the other BIOS pages for anything that sounds like it might be related to power management.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:47 pm

I'll take pictures of every page in my BIOS and post here...

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Ok, here are the pictures (In order by tab Main, Advanced, Security, Boot, and Exit... And yes, my screen is cracked :P

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:45 pm

Hmm... I got it working... Not exactly sure how... I disabled EVERYTHING in BIOS except for Legacy USB Support, Processor Assisted Virtualization, and pointing devices... I'm going to let it run a little longer... See how it goes...

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:22 pm

WOW! It's working great!!! It out folds my Ubuntu SMP Client 3:1 and my Windows Uniprocessor Client 2:1!!!

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:58 pm

Hmm... This is strange that message comes up when my A/C is turned off... Maybe it means the CPU is taking overheating measures?

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:48 pm

Ah yes, that would make sense. Modern CPUs do a thermal throttle to protect them from overheating, I suspect you are running in to that.

From the pictures it looks like a laptop - those can get pretty hot pretty quickly, especially if they are full of the dust bunnies that accumulate over time. May need to open it up and clean it out, but I would still be wary of folding on a laptop.

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Ok, thanks... Ya it is a laptop... I have a fairly good way to keep it cool... Just haven't been using it (it didn't overheat in Ubuntu while folding, but this is a lot faster)... Also, since I thought this was the problem, I went to it's IP and clicked on the link that said temperatures... It just brings up a blank screen (I am checking it with a Mac)... Just wondering how I get that to work...???

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:05 am

First make sure you have the latest version, dated 4th August. The version before that has a problem with the CGI scripts like the temperature ones. If you have the login enabled (i.e. the screen sits at a login prompt) you can just login as "root" with no password and type "sensors", this should work on all versions.

Secondly it only supports Intel Core and AMD K8 processor temperature sensors, not K10 nor all the varieties of sensor chips on the various motherboards.

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:35 am

I think it's the latest one, but I never logged is as root... And I believe it is K8... Edit: I am going to enable login shel... See what happens... Edit: nvm that didn't fix it... Going to disable login shel again...

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:45 pm

If you login as root, type "sensors" and get nothing then the processor doesn't have the temp sensors built in that I have support for in the kernel. It's just a way of checking whether the problem is in the web side of things or the temp sensors side of things.

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:27 pm

Ok I am going to test it now... One sec... (Btw when logged in as root, if you type reboot nothing happens... < Not that I would use that, just sayin)

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Seems like it's unsupported? When I type sensors it just displays # waiting for me to enter another command... Oh well, since it's a laptop I can touch it to see how hot it is :D... But I think it'll be ok anyways, since I have it in a VERY cool place... Edit: On a side note... I got another system just lying around, but I think it's suicide to fold on it... What do you think? It's CPU is a Intel Celeron 500MHz and it's RAM I'm not quite sure... It says 32MB SyncDRAM, I assume it means 32MB SDRAM... Never heard it be referred to as SyncDRAM < Even if that is it's proper name... Also is CPU Temp avail for this machine? Because it is extremely old and was never well maintained (by the person I got it from)... It seems to have a shooty PSU since if the power cord even moves a bit it turns off... And then you got to wiggle it around (and sparks of course)... Also I don't know how clean the fans/heatsinks but I can assume they are extremely dirty since no air comes out the exhaust fan... (Honestly I am not trying to crucify this system, but I want to know if it would meet the recommended requirements if I clean the fan)... Might give it a shot, if you think it could handle it... Edit: Ok I am trying... If it reaches the Deadline then I will just leave it... For temperatures, on a Intel Based system, by Intel Core you mean i3 i5, and i7 right?

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:08 am

Lots of things in that post! :-)

1) If "sensors" comes straight back to the prompt, then the code doesn't support the processor sensor types

2) It's not worth folding on a 500MHz Celeron. Even if it makes the deadlines, the productivity per watt is too low.

3) SDRAM is Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory. It came out after EDO (Extended Data Out) RAM and before DDR (Dual Data Rate) RAM. It's old as in about 12 years old.

4) 500MHz Celerons do not have temperature sensors on the processor die, so no this will not work.

5) By Intel Core I mean Core, Core 2 (include Duo, Quad, Extreme etc), i3, i5, i7 etc plus a few others. Basically see the list of Intel processors that CoreTemp supports http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/supportlist.html Note that I don't support all the AMD processors listed there as I only support those with K8 type sensors currently and not those with K10 type sensors.

DTHCND
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:52 am

Thanks... I think that's it :D...