Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

ATI (errr AMD) F@H

Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:21 pm

Has there been any advances in the ati gpu client? I'd like to fold with the video card and my i7 but i was under the impression Nvidia cards still held a wide margin above ATI cards. Anything new I should know about or do?
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Re: ATI (errr AMD) F@H

Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Unfortunately no. IMHO, its just not worth the power draw to fold with an ATI/AMD card. They are also a fairly heavy cpu intensive card compared to NVidia which would mean your ppd on your i7 would probably drop fairly significantly because the bonus is directly related to the time of completion.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:51 pm

Hopefully that improve with the new stream SDK and such new products coming out?
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:22 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Hopefully that improve with the new stream SDK and such new products coming out?

You would hope but I would not count on it :( Many people have been waiting for it to happen for the pass few years.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:02 pm

It's a shame.
I've got some ATI cards just sitting around for long portions of the day. Properly utilized they might give the UGN a bit of a much needed boost. But I just can't justify having them run for such meager results.

mghong
Gerbil XP

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:00 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:
It's a shame.
I've got some ATI cards just sitting around for long portions of the day. Properly utilized they might give the UGN a bit of a much needed boost. But I just can't justify having them run for such meager results.

oO...If it is the case then i will leave my new build 4850 to sleep , and let my Atom to fold at least it contribute to the earth with less power wasted. :D

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:12 am

mghong wrote:
MaxTheLimit wrote:
It's a shame.

oO...If it is the case then i will leave my new build 4850 to sleep , and let my Atom to fold at least it contribute to the earth with less power wasted. :D

AMD GPUs may be slower folders, but it should still be better than the Atoms. Remember they are like Pentium IIIs at best.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

mghong
Gerbil XP

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:57 am

Flying Fox wrote:
mghong wrote:
MaxTheLimit wrote:
It's a shame.

AMD GPUs may be slower folders, but it should still be better than the Atoms. Remember they are like Pentium IIIs at best.

I'm running a Win7 64bit wit a AMD processor.

just download the GPU client for Win7(32bit) , when i start the service , it mention viewer is not open ..is there something wrong i havent setup properly ? :)