Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Folding or other DC project ubuntu server 10.10

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:52 am

It pains me to have my ubuntu file server on 24/7 idling most of the so I want to throw a DC project on it. I got an atom processor (D510) but I figure any help is better than none. I would ideally like to run F@H but I know there are tremendous issues with Ubuntu :cry: If there is a work around I would be willing to try it but I don't want to start opening major security holes in a server. Is there a BOINC project that TechReport does? Is that easier to setup in Ubuntu server? Any suggestions?
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Re: Folding or other DC project ubuntu server 10.10

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:35 pm

Since no one else has responded to this yet, I will. F@H really shouldn't be a security problem. It uses the same ports http uses for sending information back and forth. I don't know what your Atom processor can do, so that's something you'll have to determine for your particular model. But you can certainly download the vanilla Linux console client and run that. From there you can determine what else may be possible.

Edit: Checked Intel's site here. It says the D510 has 2 cores and 4 threads. I'd try -smp 4 on that thing just to see if it would get done in time. If not, then oh well, but you can do the calculations from reading the frame times. And if it can't finish on time, you can run 4 separate F@H processes, which should produce a noticeable amount of points, anyway.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Guess I missed this thread somehow.

An Atom processor isn't going to produce much, but the low power consumption (and the fact that it is on anyway) means it should still be worthwhile. I agree with Ragnar Dan that making the deadlines on the A3 SMP WUs is iffy, but you could at least run 2 single-thread clients on it. Running 4 clients may be counter-productive, since it only has 2 real cores and limited L2 cache.

You may need to apply a workaround for a bug in the FAH client (they're apparently using an undocumented library function which is no longer present in Ubuntu 10.04 and later).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:37 pm

Well I was going to look into trying a work around for the ubuntu but right now I just don't have the time (it definitely does not work natively), so I threw Milky Way @ Home on there for now. I have folded on the atom before when I was running windows on the system so I know it will produce a few hundred points every few days which isn't a lot but it helps team 2630. Hopefully this weekend I will have time to fiddle with F@H again and can put that on there.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:23 am

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Ubuntu? 64-bit is required for the F@h SMP client.

The workaround for the runtime library issue is linked in my previous post.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

PhilipMcc
Gerbil First Class

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:27 pm

There is another work-around about 1/3 of the way down this page, under the heading
"Folding@Home and Ubuntu 10.10: a rocky start"
I cannot comment on how well it works because I am folding fine with Ubuntu 8.x.