Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

More points for Project 2684 WU's

Tue May 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Good news for -smp 8 -bigadv folders: They've changed the base points assigned for Project 2684 WU's. Instead of the 8955 points of the other -bigadv WU's, they're now worth 12790 points, which is over 42.8% more. Which is to say, they may well be worth folding now. Here's where I read about it on foldingforum.org, posted on May 6: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=185716#p185716, in the middle of a thread complaining about their run time.

I haven't gotten one lately, so it will be a while before I can verify how helpful the change has been, but any improvement is good.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: More points for Project 2684 WU's

Tue May 10, 2011 7:53 pm

I forgot another thing I learned on Foldingforum.org. From reading some of the posts, it appears to be the case that Linux allows -bigadv folding again. I haven't verified that, but this link in the announcements subforum would seem to indicate that's true: Re: upcoming core changes (bigadv will switch from A3 to A5).

The following thread is the one in the 'SMP with bigadv' subforum where Linux folding is being discussed, and it appears they're doing bigadv WU's: Re: Linux folding images. Which, for anyone running Linux machines, is good news. Maybe I'm the only one in the dark about the return of such WU's to Linux, but it's good for the effort and could help TR's team improve its output.

fuzzhead
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 12, 2011 7:11 pm

I have not had one lately. Which is fine! They where half ppd on a 6 core i7.

Fuzhead

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu May 26, 2011 9:28 pm

I finished one this morning, and it took 3.5 days or so. But I ran software which ate fair amounts of CPU during the WU's folding, so it's not a great measure. It started out in HFM.NET saying I'd get over 90000 points, perhaps over 91k, I forget now, and I think it was nearly 28k PPD, but it ended up somewhere in the range of 87k total, though I'd have to go back and look at some logs to be sure.

It's still better than it used to be, anyway. :wink: