Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Folding area of the Forum could use a update/clean up

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:12 pm

When I first found TR I looked at this area of the forum and came to the conclusion it was a dead project, at least when it came to TR people participating, judging by the dates on the stickies and posts. Then I saw Lockheed_Tvr make a post the other day and thought I would give it another look since I was looking for something similar. I used to participate in Seti@home back in the day.

I wonder how many other people give this a pass for the same reasons I did? I would volunteer to help clean the forum up and up date it but I have no clue what is relevant any more and what should just be archived. But it does need updated badly.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Folding area of the Forum could use a update/clean up

Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:54 am

Folding costs money, uses power, and generates heat.

A lot of people are on the green kick now so folding has somewhat lost its shine. The forum (and Team Techreport's own activity level) reflects the change in trends and sentiment.

But maybe the new FAHCORE x17 will get people excited about folding again. Time will tell.

Diplomacy42
Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:22 am

BIF wrote:
Folding costs money, uses power, and generates heat.

A lot of people are on the green kick now so folding has somewhat lost its shine. The forum (and Team Techreport's own activity level) reflects the change in trends and sentiment.

But maybe the new FAHCORE x17 will get people excited about folding again. Time will tell.

curing malaria and creating new carbon-based solar substrates aren't "green" enough?

for the record, crunching w/ BIONIC > Folding.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:52 am

I have folded in the past for TR but gave it up over a year ago for lack of enthusiasm on TR's site and increased electric bills.
Maybe in the winter I'll take it up again.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

BIF

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Diplomacy42 wrote:
curing malaria and creating new carbon-based solar substrates aren't "green" enough?

No it's not. But as you may have observed, "green" is sometimes the color of myopathy. With blinders.

That's not my personal answer of course. I am folding this summer. Not with the laptop; it was making my home office 85 F. But the workstation gets a lot done with only a small rise in heat. It's tolerable until the sun hits the windows.

And I plan to build a monster folder for the back room as soon as I pay off some bills. Temporarily I'm thinking of bringing the Q6600 back into service, and loading it up with two Tahiti or Kepler GPUs to get some x17 work done while I save money for a server board and multiple processors capable of supporting 16+ threads. I want BIGADVs and x17's, if they are still available, that is...

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:46 am

rogue426 wrote:

If you are looking to come back for a cameo short term, then you know you can contribute to Frankie this year. ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BIF

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
rogue426 wrote:

If you are looking to come back for a cameo short term, then you know you can contribute to Frankie this year. ;)

Right, TRFRANKENBOT rises every October!