Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Slowly moving up the ranks

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Well its been about a week and I have made up to the top 500, 447 at last glance, for TR's team. Makes me wonder how many of those I passed are even folding any more. That has me wondering why they do not separate out those that have not done at least one WU in a weeks or months time frame. I'm curious what the team scores would look like on a currently active contributors only list.

I know I will never be at the top of any of the rankings but I think I am doing pretty good at 153982 points with my i5-3570k, running at 4.1 GHz, running full time and my GeForce GTX 680 folding when I am not running any games.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Slowly moving up the ranks

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Yep, that is pretty good progress.

Due to my ability to leverage x17 core work, I too am moving up the ranks and passing a lot of "skulls at the side of the road" on my way. Scattered among them are the odd ones here and there who just keep plodding away generating 100 or 300 points per day. I feel like I'm galloping my way between two cities separated by a wide swath of bone-dry desert, without even a wandering lizard or camel in sight.

I don't think the stopped folders should be removed from the lists, however. Many people just don't fold during the summer months due to electric and aircon cooling costs. We'll see more activity in the fall when people start to ramp up again.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:36 pm

The list as it is now is fine as a all time grand total. I would like to see one that tracks just active folders as well.

Its interesting to see how much resources your computer really needs for certain tasks. I can surf the web and fold at full speed. Most games I have to drop the folding down a notch to medium. I have yet to find one where I had to go lower than the low setting.

BIF

Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:08 am

It seems we ran out of the lucrative x17 work units. My system spent all day Saturday on a single x16 and for a whopping 2000 points, and now has another one that is only 6% done and is going to run for another 20 hours. After all that, it'll bring in 2,200 points. Somehow I eked out barely 13,000 points for Saturday when I normally net close to 100k.

a4's are even worse this weekend, I have one that is only 30% done and is going to run for another 2.01 days and bring just over 6,000 points. So my movement up the ranks is going to be slow until some new x17 work comes along.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:24 pm

I noticed I was getting some huge wu's with low scores as well. I think their time estimates are screwy though. I went to bed and one said it had 21 hours to go to completion. I got up and did a few things around the house and when I got back to the computer that WU was done and I know it has not been 21 hours, more like 14 hours or so.

BIF

Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Mine have been quite accurate, always within the ETA by +- a couple minutes.

And it looks like I may be done sending up WUs for the day. Got socked with a 2.5 day A4 and a big x17 too; no more production points for today, but will have one hit right after midnight central time (that's the time that Extreme updates their database).

I might pass (I'm assuming our very own) "dissonance" sometime tomorrow. ;)

fuzzhead
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:02 pm

Use this to look if you don't already know. You can sort by points 24hr average.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... ?s=&t=2630

I should hit 800k today. Got to turn off some of these systems to save POWER!
The race to the top is/was fun. Tougher to stay there.

Happy folding,
Fuzzhead

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Thanks for the link. There is a lot of information to be found there. I can now see the trend relating to summer versus winter folding activity.

I am surprised by making it to number 12 of the top 20 producers for hourly production for the TR team. I know I will never make it to the top but I am tempted to get my old core duo with its GTX 550 running again just to fold. Might even toss my i7 laptop into the mix. Just to see what I can do in a weeks time using them. (wonders off thinking about adding another desk to the computer lounge for more computers)

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:17 am

Using the info from EOC's data base I should make the top 20 for the team in about 14 years. :lol: Assuming things stay like they are with the current people that are active. Not likely. More realistic is my getting onto the top 100 list in three months or so. I get that far I will most likely save some wear and tear on my 680 and confine myself to running jobs on the CPU. Might even set up my old system and run what I can on its 550 at that time if not sooner. Need to do some re arranging of desks before I get to that point.

Right now I am happy with being at number 14 of the top 20 daily producers. I was at number 12 until I lost internet for a few days. Then add in the wu's I have been getting with lower rewards.

In the end none of this points business matters but it does add a bit of fun seeing how our computers compare to each others along the way.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:00 pm

Well here we are and its almost Thanksgiving, so I have been folding for about three months. I have worked my way up to 87 in the team rankings. Out of the 86 ahead of me 14 of you have nothing to worry about. I am not ever going to catch up to you as things stand now. Some I will catch up to will take up to 18.8 years. :lol:

This has been a lot of fun, in a passive drawn out watch and see what happens sort of way. At first the point values where super important to me, it's the only way to judge how well your doing after all. Now I care less about the points and more about how many Work Units I complete. The more I get done the more information the scientist have to work with trying to find a cure for these diseases.

I got a bonus today when I looked to see the goal of one my current work units. It's looking at Alzheimer's disease which is why I got involved in this project to start with. My Father has Alzheimer's and his Father had it. I may get it as well since it runs in the family almost consistently. I can see it in one my older cousins now, the small signs I did not notice at the time with my Father.

BIF

Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:08 pm

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Khali.

Mine just keeps running away at home and I check it once or twice a day and reboot it every other week or so; whenever I get Windows updates. Basically I know there's a problem when the home office is not toasty warm.

I too got into this at least partly to help with Alzheimer's research. Best to you and your family.