Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Question about folding with video cards

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:15 pm

Would it possible to add in another video card just for folding to my current system, i5-3570k with a GTX 680? I have a fairly new GTX 550, only used about 6 months as a replacement for a dead 8800gts, in a older machine that I would like to get more use out of. If I add it to my current system will it work for just folding or am I going to run into issues trying this? I have a ample PSU that could support the added power draw.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Question about folding with video cards

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:59 pm

Yes you can add a video card for folding, even if you are not planning to plug a monitor into it.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:13 pm

I suspected as much. I knew I could add the older card to drive another monitor but I was not sure how folding would work with two dis similar cards in the mix. Thanks for the reply.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:55 pm

You may want to test it to see your results so that you can determine whether or not the work being performed is worth the cost of power and the heat being put off.

Also, I think older cards might not run the new x17 work units, which use less CPU and more GPU. Of course, I am assuming that the distribution server probably won't give your older GPU slot an x17 WU, but I don't know that for sure.

You may want to read up on that before proceeding.