Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

F@H server maintenance: Monday, August 26

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:04 am

[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Khali
Gerbil XP

Re: F@H server maintenance: Monday, August 26

Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:12 pm

I just found that myself. Thought I had a issue not getting a new WU. It would be nice if they had some way to put announcements on the client for things like this.

BIF

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:30 pm

Bah!

I was worried that I hadn't posted any updates for the last three 3-hour cycles, so I drove home half expecting the power to be off, or the house to be burned down or something. I mean, why else would my system not post any WUs?

The x17 slot was stuck waiting waiting waiting for a work unit. I think it gave up, because I couldn't get it to retry until I rebooted. Given the time of day and length of "outage," I think the delay I had will impact my production for today and Tuesday. Bah!

I was moving along at a nice clip, too! :evil:

But at least it wasn't some unexplained phenomenon, so I did sigh with relief. Back to work!

EDIT: Uh oh, it looks like the totals on Extreme's page don't agree with my totals on Pande's page, and it appears that the difference is exactly the points I got in my last x17 work unit... I guess I'll wait and see if maybe it will be pushed off to the midnight update...

farmpuma
Topic Author
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:15 am

Email updates for Dr. Pande's blog subscribed to and activated. Scheduled maintenance should not catch us by surprise again.

Also, one of the first places I check when things go south - http://fah-web.stanford.edu/pybeta/serverstat.html

BIF

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:27 am

Both of my cores (CPU and GPU) got strangled about 30 minutes before this writing. At the same time, each one "lost lifeline" and was shut down. But they restarted, found their checkpoints, and seem to be running normally for now. At least both have gotten beyond their respective "% complete" values prior to core shutdown.

I also see in my log I had a bad x17 core last night (maybe about 12 hours before this writing). So bad that the server rejected the work multiple times, then timed out, dumped it and assigned me a new work unit.

I don't think I'm having any issues at my end because all seems well. No problems accessing the web or using applications that do so.

Maybe Pande servers are having an upset stomach from the maintenance last Monday? :-?