Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

F@H Control issues

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:05 pm

I had been using the F@H Control application to adjust my F@H but the last week or so its been unresponsive or not updating. I will throttle it back to light when I want to play a session of Skyrim or some other game. I used to be able to throttle things back up when I was done. Now when I move the slider it won't do anything, just hangs there like its frozen. Shutting down and restarting the F@H Control does nothing. It just sits there and showing what it was showing when I closed it. The only way to get it to update is to reboot the system. Its not just limited to Skyrim but throttling back to run anything else has the same effect. The odd thing is the web control works fine.

Looking in the Windows 8 Task Manager does not show anything that's not responding. Also, shutting it down via the Task Manager and then re launching the program does not help. It takes a full system reboot. I have tried a full delete and install and I get the same behavior.

Any ideas on what to try next?

(also posting this over on the F@H forums but thought I would add it in here as well)

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Re: F@H Control issues

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:05 am

Yep, http://foldingforum.org/ is your best bet for help with the latest widgets and do-dads. I run the console clients on XP and plan to upgrade to nix when I finally get a real world internet connection.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:34 am

Well, its been a few days and no one seems to have a clue here or over on the F@H forums. Not sure what else to try, checked the Task Manager not much there. Since it seems to clear up on a full reboot I can't imagine anything on the start up list is the issue.

Only things I can think of is something in the latest Steam update or maybe Nexus Mod Manager. But it does it with non Steam games as well. At first I thought it might be from a Skyrim mod but it does it after running Dragon Age and Crysis. Enough of a mix there to rule out things like Steam and Origin and the like.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Probably a bug... Just report it on official forums. If you fold using GPU - I would just disable the CPU folding completely and keep the slider on its default "Medium" setting for GPU.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:04 pm

The last few days I have netted a significantly lower PPD value. When we see this, I think it's one or more of these:

1. The work just changed. Nothing we can do about that.

2. There's a bad set of work units out there. I had that happen a few weeks ago where a number of WUs got thrown out. Then as suddenly as it happened, it was gone and everything started running fine again.

3. Sometimes I slide the client down so I can play a game (rarely) or render something (more frequently). I now make it a point not to slide it to the "off" position because I was doing that and then forgetting to turn it on again. Aaaaa! I forgot to slide it back up last night, so it ran all morning and all day in the "idle" setting. At least it got some work done, but it's definitely slower that way. Bah!

4. Sometimes a reboot helps clear the cobwebs and cockroaches out. On occasion, I also need to reset my network. Now I do all of this as an every-other-week maintenance task. Usually, after I get significant Microsoft patches, I'll install them, then will restart the workstation and also recycle my router and DSL modem to get a brand new connection.

5. A point to remember for Windows 8 users: If I recall correctly, shutting off the computer from Windows and then booting actually results in a "warm boot". If you want to really reset everything, just do a "restart" instead. That's what I usually do.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:18 pm

The issue turned out to be one of two viruses I found on my system. I'm still irritated that Avaria missed them on the first two complete scans I did trying to find out what my issue was with the folding client. One was a tracking bug that should have been found by SpyBot, it fell down on the job just like Avaria. Might just replace both of them with Lavasoft's Ad-aware antivirus/malware. No more needing a separate program for each, it does both.