Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

How to get FACore 17 WU's?

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:01 am

Probably a noob question but I have been reading a lot of stuff on the F@H forums about FACore 17 WU's. How in the world do you set up the client to get them? I am under the impression I have to change something to get into "advanced mode" but have no clue what they are talking about and can't find anything explaining it. I looked at the wiki over there but it seems out of date when it comes to the 7.3.6 client.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: How to get FACore 17 WU's?

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:11 am

It's simple - open up teh client, go to "Configure", then "slots". Click on your GPU here, click on "Edit". Scroll down to "extra slot options", click on "add". In the textbox type "client-type" as Name and "advanced" as Value. Click "OK".
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:00 am

Thanks, made the change, now to see if I get anything good to fold. :D

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:53 pm

This is for anybody with older GPU cards. Bear in mind, the x17 work units can be ball-busters on older/slower GPU cards.

They're meant for fast GPUs. Some slower GPUs may still run them, but they'll take for-damned-ever and will return a lower amount of bonus points. If they run way too slowly, you'll miss the bonus points entirely and/or get so few of them for the amount of work your GPU had to do to get there, you might as well just go with the other WUs.

As with everything, "Your Mileage May Vary" definitely applies in this case.

For Khali, I see that your point-spread has changed since 9/12 when you changed your setting. It looks like you are trending 50K-60K every other day with 10K-20K on the in-betweener days, for an average of about 35k+ per 24 hours. The WU's are just too big for your hardware to get done in a single day, so you're spanning midnight. But overall, it does seem that your production has risen with the x17 cores and it may be worth it in your case. :)

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Actually I have yet to get a 17 WU from what I have seen. Its all been 15 WU's that seem to be larger than normal. Then again the CPU WU's all seem to be huge as well. Most take anywhere from 16 to 24 hours to run. But I was getting these before I made the change.

My daily point increase is from my i7 laptop running 24/7.

My high point days are when my CPU WU's finish, so far its been the same day for both my systems. The low point days are all my GPU output with nothing from the CPU's.

I'm guessing my GTX 680 is in the old/slow category now eh? Sad that, it was the best Nvidia choice right behind the 690, at the time I bought it. I am still considering upgrading to one of the 700 series cards with more vram. Having problems justifying upgrading only 9 months after buying the 680 though.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:20 pm

They have recently changed something so even with these settings you'll be getting x15 units (like I do too)... Not sure what's up but this is how it is now...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:49 pm

Well this is getting worse as time goes along. I now have a xa4 cpu WU that has 59% completed yet still has 16 plus hours to run. That roughly comes to three days of work for only 14k points. This is on my i7 running 4 cores and 8 threads. I said it before and I think time has proven me right, I am getting WU's that take far longer to run with less points as a reward than I did when I started to fold.

BIF

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:14 pm

I get a lot of A4 work units that take up to 1.2 days to complete for about 15k to 16k points. Once in a blue moon I'll have a day where I get a bunch of smaller A4 work units that only take a few hours to complete, and they usually give about 5k to 6k points. I use Process Lasso at its default settings to ensure that the system is always responsive, even when I throw some 3D rendering at it.

I'm still getting x17 work units fairly regularly, and they take about 7 hours to complete for 27k to 29k points, running full-tilt and only pausing the GPU on the rare occasion that I play a Civ V game because Civ will crash when the GPU folding unit is running.

In November, I am hoping to bring a second system online with both CPU and GPU units. My PPD should jump. I would do it for October, but I had some unrelated and unexpected expenses in August and September.
Intel i7 6850K, Gigabyte GA-X99 Designare EX, 64 GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX, two Geforce 980 cards, EVGA 1200W PSU, and various SSDs and HDDs

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:39 pm

I have yet to see a 17 WU. I'm beginning to wonder if my 680 isn't considered fast enough for them or something.

P5-133XL
Gerbil

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:18 pm

A GTX 680 is plenty fast for Core_17.

To get Core_17, you need a video driver with OpenCL built-in i.e. newish. If you are running a notebook, do not use the driver specific to the notebook (They tend not to come with OpenCL), but rather the Generic manufacturer's driver. Do not downgrade a driver version without running a driver cleaner first because you will end up with a driver with mixed versions of files where OpenCL won't work.

The other possibility that may prevent Core_17 would be if you have a machine with multiple video cards. The v7.3.6 client can often autoconfig multiple GPU's but sometimes it is outright necessary to manually configure it to get it to work properly. If you have multiple GPU's FAHBench can often help determining the proper configuration.

You should also have client-type = advanced configured for your GPU slot.

It would also be helpful, for diagnostic purposes, if you posted the system and config portions of the log (Click refresh and scroll up to the top).
Put those spare CPU/GPU cycles to good use - Folding@Home

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:21 am

Khali wrote:
I have yet to see a 17 WU. I'm beginning to wonder if my 680 isn't considered fast enough for them or something.

You are not guaranteed to receive these units - the server can still force-feed you the crappy x15 WU's regardless of your card, drivers or client settings.

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:47 am

Changes in Core17: update and move to full fah

details at -> http://folding.stanford.edu/home/change ... -full-fah/
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

BIF

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:48 am

I noticed a definitely different "rhythm" in the GPU work I've been getting since your post. I'm still bringing in 100K + PPD, but now they sometimes seem to be shorter pieces of work. Fewer points, but it seems to be a wash because my GPU can complete more of them each day.