Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Coming back + second rig, best path?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:44 am

So I've got the system in my signature (FX-6100 @ 4.1 ghz, Radeon 6950) - when I stopped folding SMP was kind of 'meh' and Nvidia GPU killed it - I'm not sure this is still the case. When I glanced back in there were giant SMP units my CPU wasn't good enough for and I assume that hasn't changed either.

How is the point return on SMP, and what's the best GPU bet if that's a good path?
I'm going to be building a second rig soon, mostly as secondary storage and maybe to also hook up to my TV so I don't want a rig to sound like a jet engine, but it wouldn't be too bad if I geared the hardware of that rig towards folding somewhat.
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Coming back + second rig, best path?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:35 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
So I've got the system in my signature (FX-6100 @ 4.1 ghz, Radeon 6950) - when I stopped folding SMP was kind of 'meh' and Nvidia GPU killed it - I'm not sure this is still the case. When I glanced back in there were giant SMP units my CPU wasn't good enough for and I assume that hasn't changed either. How is the point return on SMP, and what's the best GPU bet if that's a good path?
SMP? Symmetric multiprocessing? I don't fold (and have never) so I think I'm missing some context here. "Nvidia GPU killed it"?
pikaporeon wrote:
I'm going to be building a second rig soon, mostly as secondary storage and maybe to also hook up to my TV so I don't want a rig to sound like a jet engine, but it wouldn't be too bad if I geared the hardware of that rig towards folding somewhat.
Hm. Maybe I should just reply to bump your thread. Having no experience with folding it's difficult for me to advise. I know the GPU compute performance of the Kepler series is mediocre at best, at least until you get into GK110-based parts. I think everyone is running Radeons for GPGPU stuff now.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:51 pm

auxy wrote:
"Nvidia GPU killed it"?

The folding compute performance of NVidia GPUs is miles ahead of what any enthusiast-affordable CPU setup can reach. Ergo, NVidia GPUs killed SMP WRT folding.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
auxy wrote:
"Nvidia GPU killed it"?

The folding compute performance of NVidia GPUs is miles ahead of what any enthusiast-affordable CPU setup can reach. Ergo, NVidia GPUs killed SMP WRT folding.

Oh! I see. Thanks Captain Ned!

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:43 am

AMD GPUs are also doing their fair share of GPU folding.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:05 pm

awesome. I ran into some PSU and bluescreen issues this week, hopefully should be chipping in a bit now as the WUs start crunching
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12