Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

New 'easy' version of the V7 F@h client

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:32 am

https://folding.stanford.edu/home/the-r ... op-client/

Version 7.4.4 also know as the "web control" client is apparently ready for prime time and I believe it is the default windows client if you click the "start folding" button. From the picture it looks like a fairly compact control panel with handy buttons and useful information. I plan to attempt the slightly over 30 MB download when I go for a nap.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

BIF

Re: New 'easy' version of the V7 F@h client

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:25 am

So how's it been working for you?

I'm genuinely curious.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:22 am

Is that a CPU & GPU client rolled into one? For AMD and Nvidia?

farmpuma
Topic Author
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:36 am

Well, in a word, it isn't working.

The over three hour download on my half speed dial-up connection went smoothly and was successful on the first try, always a relief when the server doesn't time out. The first install failed to launch with an error message I don't remember, so I uninstalled and reinstalled to the default location which failed with the same error message. Launched the .exe file from the program folder but it failed to download a work unit. Time to RTFM.

The installation guide tells me for Win XP I need SP3 (which I have but I haven't bothered to update this particular machine), MS .NET 2.0 (also on a couple of hard drives somewhere from some forgotten project), and 2008 C++ Redistributable (32 bit). It also tells me the single core projects were declared End of Life in August 2013 making this a truly pointless exercise in frustration, although there are probably still a few single core work units in the pipeline, maybe?

Guessing from the error messages and further reading, it appears the pretty control panel may only be available while connected to the internet. I suspect this client is an off-shoot of the Chrome browser plug-in client and due to my control freak nature I have no use for it or the Chrome browser with it's lack of off-line functionality. Perhaps I will change my tune when I finally have an always on broadband connection.

With warmer weather teasing me I will be retiring my single core / Prime 95 torture test heaters. If the current plan comes together this fall will see multi-core SMP machines and a couple of meaty GPUs fed by a light pipe.

For someone with Win 7 or 8 who is looking for a "web control" client that just works this might be just what you need. Good Luck!

To drfish: Yep, it should configure itself for your machine with a few personal fill in the blanks and just run. AMD 5xxx and newer GPUs _ Nvidia 8xxx (with at least 512MBs of memory) and newer GPUs with 4xx (Fermi) and newer recommended. Be sure to use you passkey as even the GPU work units have early return bonus points now.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:55 am

farmpuma wrote:
If the current plan comes together this fall will see multi-core SMP machines and a couple of meaty GPUs fed by a light pipe.
If this happens then we will officially welcome you to the 21st century. :P

farmpuma wrote:
For someone with Win 7 or 8 who is looking for a "web control" client that just works this might be just what you need. Good Luck!

I always just skip to the Advanced Client anyway which brings up a non-browser based app, with all the tweaks and stuff available. But yes, it is a unified CPU and GPU client and it should do the right thing depending on AMD vs Nvidia.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Hmm... I might have to give it a try. If I mined enough Arscoins to get myself a tinfoil hat I figure I should at least extend the same processing courtesy to my old addiction...

Maph
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:12 pm

Thanks for the update! i was tempted to update a few comps to that client after I see your post. most of mine are still running really old cli versions (or the early standalone GPU client, which apparently started to get units again earlier this year after 1 yr or more of can't d/l any work.

farmpuma
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:48 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
farmpuma wrote:
If the current plan comes together this fall will see multi-core SMP machines and a couple of meaty GPUs fed by a light pipe.
If this happens then we will officially welcome you to the 21st century. :P

Once the ground thaws it's a matter of how much it will cost to bring the pipe the literal 'last mile and a half' plus the 200 yards up my driveway.

Flying Fox wrote:
farmpuma wrote:

I always just skip to the Advanced Client anyway which brings up a non-browser based app, with all the tweaks and stuff available. But yes, it is a unified CPU and GPU client and it should do the right thing depending on AMD vs Nvidia.

With the new core 17 GPU work units the AMD GCN video cards produce very nearly the same points per day as their equivalent Nvidia cards.

farmpuma
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:15 pm

drfish wrote:
Hmm... I might have to give it a try. If I mined enough Arscoins to get myself a tinfoil hat I figure I should at least extend the same processing courtesy to my old addiction...

It's always good to see drfish activity for team 2630. Although the warm weather additional cost definitely justifies limited participation for all but the most hardcore.

Khali
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:28 pm

You might consider putting Boinc on those older machines. Most Boinc project WU's use just a single core. They have a applications version for Windows 95 and up, 32 bit and 64 bit. Plus if your wanting to stick with Protein research there are several projects working with proteins. POEM, SIMAP, Rosetta, and GPU Grid all study proteins. GPU Grid is mainly set up to use your GPU, recommend Nvidia 500 series or newer, but they also have WU's for CPU's.

Boinc
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

Poem@Home
http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/

SIMAP
http://boincsimap.org/boincsimap/

Rosetta@Home
http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

GPU Grid
http://www.gpugrid.net/

Just a option for older hardware and OS's that FAH does not support any more.

BIF

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:28 pm

Thanks for the update Farmpuma; sorry you had trouble.

I decided to upgrade mine last night. The new web interface is pretty, but I still prefer to use the client to look at my folding slots. Espcecially the logs, which are not available to the web interface. The new client has also been updated a bit, and it's fine.

I had no problems with the upgrade, and my current work units (at the time...and one of them rans between 12 and 16 hours) were picked up at the latest checkpoint with no problem.

Khali wrote:
You might consider putting Boinc on those older machines...

Glad you like Boinc. But some of us have chosen FAH. Yes, even for older systems. I know you had a philosophical disagreement with FAH, but barring that, a little technical trouble is not a big enough reason to change. :)

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:49 pm

BIF wrote:
I decided to upgrade mine last night. The new web interface is pretty, but I still prefer to use the client to look at my folding slots. Espcecially the logs, which are not available to the web interface. The new client has also been updated a bit, and it's fine.

I had no problems with the upgrade, and my current work units (at the time...and one of them rans between 12 and 16 hours) were picked up at the latest checkpoint with no problem.

You should still be able to get to the Advanced Control which is basically the old GUI?

farmpuma
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:18 pm

Maph wrote:
Thanks for the update! i was tempted to update a few comps to that client after I see your post. most of mine are still running really old cli versions (or the early standalone GPU client, which apparently started to get units again earlier this year after 1 yr or more of can't d/l any work.

Yeah, I'm still running the 6.23 and 6.41 GPU console clients on my 9600GSO which sadly didn't make the white list for the core 15 and core 17 work units due to having only 384MBs of GDDR3 memory. So I'm limited to just the core 11 data double check charity work units which could end completely at any time.

From what I've read in the F@h blog and the folding forum it seems the V7 clients may have better access to the assignment servers. So when I have the time or am forced to fire up my 650Ti I will most likely run V7.3.latest version, although I fear the finished work unit upload file size with my current internet connection.

farmpuma
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Khali wrote:
You might consider putting Boinc on those older machines. Most Boinc project WU's use just a single core. ... Just an option for older hardware and OS's that FAH does not support any more.

Yeah, in 20/20 hindsight I probably should have gone that route. Although I did discover my socket 7 Sempron overclock wasn't nearly as stable as I thought with the Prime 95 torture test, plus I didn't need to bother with all the manual downloading and uploading.

Thank you for the information and the links. I plan to include them when I find the time to update the how-to section and will probably use them myself since I can't seem to let go of my good old A64s.

farmpuma
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
BIF wrote:

You should still be able to get to the Advanced Control which is basically the old GUI?

Being a firmly entrenched console client guy I can't help but feel all the pretty GUI is stealing cycles from the work unit crunching. And tweaking the nuts and bolts with a GUI just doesn't feel right. Guess I may need to make the jump to Linux.

Khali
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:05 pm

BIF wrote:
Thanks for the update Farmpuma; sorry you had trouble.

Khali wrote:
You might consider putting Boinc on those older machines...

Glad you like Boinc. But some of us have chosen FAH. Yes, even for older systems. I know you had a philosophical disagreement with FAH, but barring that, a little technical trouble is not a big enough reason to change. :)

If the technical trouble prevents you from running FAH at all then it is a good reason to look at Boinc instead of making that hardware useless for DC projects. I am not advocating people jump ship from FAH to Boinc. I am just suggesting there is still a way to get some use from older hardware and OS that FAH does not support. What projects people chose to run is their business. Yes I made the choice to stop running FAH and moved to Boinc. Yet I have not tried to push my choice on any one else so I don't understand the attitude I get when I mention Boinc here. :roll:

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:19 pm

farmpuma wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
BIF wrote:

Being a firmly entrenched console client guy I can't help but feel all the pretty GUI is stealing cycles from the work unit crunching. And tweaking the nuts and bolts with a GUI just doesn't feel right. Guess I may need to make the jump to Linux.

There is a command line interface too I think, but it is totally new and I just did not bother to run it. Suffice it to say the a4 and x17 WUs are just too good to miss out on. Provided you have modern hardware of course.

farmpuma
Topic Author

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:10 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Suffice it to say the a4 and x17 WUs are just too good to miss out on. Provided you have modern hardware of course.

I have four modern enough systems, two even more modern systems lacking one part, and a virgin GTX 650Ti.

What I don't have is enough internet bandwidth to support the work unit traffic, and soon not enough cooling to keep them running fine and lasting a long time.
:(

RMAC9.5
Gerbil In Training

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:33 am

farmpuma,

I have 3 PCs with 9600GSO video cards that are using slightly older but still "modern" versions of folding@home (version 7.3.6 and 7.1.43). Work units for these folding@home versions appear to be plentiful. I am on broadband, run 24/7, and these PCs almost never run out of work.
I would encourage you to update your XP PC to SP3 as soon as possible and to download a more recent version of folding@home.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:35 pm

Whoa! 136k PPD from my GTX 780? If I ran it for three months it would double the points I earned from years of previous work. :o

Edit: Just looking back though some of the old images I post circa 2007 during "peak folding":

268 PPD for a 3800+ X2...

25k PPD for my entire farm of dozens of computers... Crazy...

farmpuma
Topic Author

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:51 am

RMAC9.5 wrote:
I have 3 PCs with 9600GSO video cards ... and these PCs almost never run out of work.

Welcome to the Tech Report folding forum! Congrats on your position and F@h production for Team Egg Roll.

My 9600GSO has also been given a steady stream of core 11 work units (except for a couple of rare server crashes) with both the 6.23 and the 6.41 GPU console clients thanks to the temporary extension to the August 2013 'End of Life'. If your GSOs have 512MBs or more of memory you have probably also been crunching core 15 and core 17 work units.

Sadly, when the core 11 pipeline runs dry my 384MB GSO will be relegated to domestic duties or a different distributed computing effort no matter what F@h client I try. Thus spake the G80/G92 F@h white list.

P.S. Edit - My 9600GSO machine is running SP3 and .NET 2.0.

farmpuma
Topic Author

Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:00 am

drfish wrote:
Whoa! 136k PPD from my GTX 780?

Yep, 2304 cuda cores and those big mutha core 17 work units will do that. Hope you can hang around until the weather gets too hot. Looks like three months should put you back in the top twenty-five.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:15 pm

I don't think I'll run my main rig too long but I'm getting the urge to build a dedicated rig to plunk in the basement again, something with a low power CPU and maybe a few Maxwell based GPUs... Unless Radeons are the way to go? What's the consensus on the best PPD/$/Watt these days?

Edit: Based on lowest current NewEgg prices (per CUDA core)

$0.234 - 750
$0.234 - 750 Ti
$0.208 - 760
$0.208 - 770
$0.208 - 780
$0.229 - 780 Ti

Hmm...

Edit 2: Looks like the 750 folds similar to the R7 265 for less money and with less power. I could buy a handful of those and use them for something else later if I wanted... Seems like a better idea than buying a 770... Thoughts?

BIF

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:59 am

Khali wrote:
... I have not tried to push my choice on any one else so I don't understand the attitude I get when I mention Boinc here. :roll:

Your first post on the matter was not about trying to help, but to suggest Boinc. So yes, I made a conclusion, but not "with attitude."

BIF

Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:05 am

drfish wrote:
Whoa! 136k PPD from my GTX 780? If I ran it for three months it would double the points I earned from years of previous work.

And THAT is why it pays to keep our folding systems somewhat modern. An order of magnitude more production for the same or less power usage. It serves the science faster for less resource usage.

I do understand that not everybody can afford upgrades. But it DOES pay to not let things get too old. :)

Khali
Gerbil XP

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:11 am

BIF wrote:
Khali wrote:
... I have not tried to push my choice on any one else so I don't understand the attitude I get when I mention Boinc here. :roll:

Your first post on the matter was not about trying to help, but to suggest Boinc. So yes, I made a conclusion, but not "with attitude."

So suggesting a DC project that will let him use his older hardware and OS is not helpful? :o Since when did this become a FAH only part of the forum? Its called the TR Distributed Computing Effort after all and Boinc is a Distributed Computing project. Just because its not YOUR project I am not allowed to talk about Boinc here? :roll: And yes there is a definitely a "its not FAH so you can't mention it here" attitude coming across. :cry:

Just so you know, I am not the only one on these forums that uses Boinc.

BIF

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:45 am

I never said anything about FAH only. I just observed that your first solution was for him to quit FAH, even before you found out more about his situation.

Obviously, my observation was very unwelcome and is even more unwelcome now, so I'll just stop. You win.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:14 am

So I've done two of the big ~70k WUs on my GPU now and the latest one finished last night but they aren't on my EOC stats yet? Is that normal?

Khali
Gerbil XP

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:25 am

BIF, I never said he should drop FAH and jump to Boinc. I SUGGESTED it as alternative if he could not get the new FAH client to work. From what he said it was getting to be more effort than it was worth for a single core machine running XP.

The installation guide tells me for Win XP I need SP3 (which I have but I haven't bothered to update this particular machine), MS .NET 2.0 (also on a couple of hard drives somewhere from some forgotten project), and 2008 C++ Redistributable (32 bit). It also tells me the single core projects were declared End of Life in August 2013 making this a truly pointless exercise in frustration, although there are probably still a few single core work units in the pipeline, maybe?

Kougar

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:14 pm

I'm liking the 7.4.4 update. Mostly because I think they fixed the occasional hard-lock I'd get when pausing my GPU client while interacting with Chrome... was a surefire way to hard-freeze the system inside 10 seconds. The slot pause/startup routine seems to work smoother too.

drfish wrote:
So I've done two of the big ~70k WUs on my GPU now and the latest one finished last night but they aren't on my EOC stats yet? Is that normal?

Should be up there after a day even if there was a stats and/or EOC site issue going on. If not I'd suggest verifying your F@H has the right name & info!