Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

npore
Gerbil
Topic Author

What are you guys folding with?

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:58 am

I don't know if there is already a thread for this, but I thought it'd be kinda cool to see what kinda hardware everyone is folding with - number of machines/specs/cooling etc.. I imagine there's quite a range of gear folding for the team... ancient - new, low end - high end, server stuff..

GrimDanfango
Gerbil First Class

Re: What are you guys folding with?

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:35 am

Call me old-fashioned, but I haven't felt the need to upgrade from this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GRXp0NJ2L.jpg

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:42 am

I use the better half.

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:32 am

I've read about folding but every time all I can think about is folding chairs. What is so fascinating about folding? Maybe enlighten us noobs on it. :-?
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.

GrimDanfango
Gerbil First Class

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:40 am

I think it has something to do with discovering signs of extra-terrestrial life while sorting through your laundry.

...which happens more often than I'm comfortable admitting.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:50 am

I think FlipFold is great and a huge time-saver.

LOL
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:54 am

GrimDanfango wrote:
I think it has something to do with discovering signs of extra-terrestrial life while sorting through your laundry.

...which happens more often than I'm comfortable admitting.

:o :o :D :roll: :D :wink:
I want some ET coins!
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.

GrimDanfango
Gerbil First Class

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:42 am

Prestige Worldwide wrote:
I think FlipFold is great and a huge time-saver.

No need for that... Personally I just use the Ninja-fold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK1nGpvaHno

Now that's true high-end folding!

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:54 am

I am running a hex-core i7 and AMD 7980 GPU for over a year now. It brings in about 700,000 to 900,000 points per week and just keeps the home office toasty warm. I only shut down folding when I apply maintenance (about once every other week), or when I play a game, or if I'm working at home and don't want to compute nakedly... (from the heat, from the heat! :P )

Khali
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:10 pm

I'm not folding now, but when I was, I was running a i5-3570k with a GTX 680 and a i7-2670QM laptop.

npore
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:03 am

Haha, perhaps not the best thread title :D But now my time folding t-shirts will be drastically reduced :)

I'm running an over-the-top 4930K + 2x GTX 780 Ti system, overclocked under water. Gets up to 3 million points a week, if I don't get too many Core 15 WUs. The heat (/power consumption) is..significant. It's the only heating I use over winter in my little flat. The utility of clothing is certainly reduced in the warmer months! :D

Kougar

Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Two haswell systems, one GTX 480 FTW and one 750 Ti. Amusingly the 750 Ti outfolds the 480 by 2x on Core 17 projects and does it with less than half the power draw.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:13 pm

People still do folding?

npore
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:17 am

Yeah, seems the numbers folding are down a lot.

Maybe people are less willing to fork out for the extra power use. And the extra heat & noise would turn many off. Some maybe were pulled away by crypto mining.. Some have definitely switched to other distributed computing projects. I think many people had unrealistic expectations in terms of time it would take for some 'breakthrough' to come from the project. F@H has led to results already of course, but a lot of it is around testing and validating the modelling/simulation etc that the project is based on. This really should be no surprise to anyone with experience with this type of 'low level' research - it's a very new field, and a lot of ground work needs to be done to have greater understanding in the long term. But they are already running projects that could have (and have had) more immediate impact on the development of drugs or furthering understanding of the science behind different molecular systems and pathologies.

Is there a more worthy cause I could donate the extra power $$ to instead? Without a doubt. But they don't make use of the processing power of my PC, and keep my place warm over winter :) Are there more deserving/potentially more efficient distributed computing projects? Probably. I'm donating to F@H for now because it seems the software/infrastructure around it is more mature and the project has great potential in the long run for advancing understanding and development of treatment for many devastating diseases. I'll start looking at other projects and see if something is more deserving or interesting to me as time goes on.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:59 am

I didn't switch to mining or other DC projects. The primary issue for me was the cost of the electricity and the heat generated by having multiple systems running at 100% load. I ramped down gradually; for a while was turning the folding clients off over the summer months. These days I generally run it only to burn in new system builds and for the annual TR Frankenbot challenge (for which I use a couple of Phenom IIs, and as of last year an FX-8320).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:52 am

Power and heat are the main issues, but I also blame the points inflation brought on by the BigWU and the retirement of those. Those who custom-built setup's to fold BigWUs have been told rather bluntly that they are forced to go back to SMP folding where the points value are orders of magnitude smaller. So from a system perspective the points output for the entire cluster should have been down, and then we had some departures due to that and the continuous emphasis on GPU and the apparent neglect of SMP folders.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Kougar

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:21 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Power and heat are the main issues, but I also blame the points inflation brought on by the BigWU and the retirement of those. Those who custom-built setup's to fold BigWUs have been told rather bluntly that they are forced to go back to SMP folding where the points value are orders of magnitude smaller. So from a system perspective the points output for the entire cluster should have been down, and then we had some departures due to that and the continuous emphasis on GPU and the apparent neglect of SMP folders.

Not sure I'd agree with all of that, what sort of neglect? SMP has been trudging along as it always has with decent usability improvements under the v7 client.

The entire BigADV fiasco could've been better handled certainly, but that was a separate issue from the SMP client. It also makes sense they would focus on GPUs as that's where the performance is at, a 780 can already hit 200K PPD and that reflects more on the amount of actual work being done instead of tacked on bonus points just for having a 4P box going. If the current rate of PPD growth in GPUs remains constant, then the PPD for a single GPU could hit 1 million within three generations.... which certainly would've begun ending the BigADV craze in of itself fairly quickly if it keeps scaling like that. Can't wait to see what an optimized client will be capable of on a Titan II...

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:14 pm

Kougar wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

Not sure I'd agree with all of that, what sort of neglect? SMP has been trudging along as it always has with decent usability improvements under the v7 client.

Neglect in terms of writing proper SMP code (that can scale up with >4 cores) so better "science" can be done through CPUs. For folding, it is not entirely about the FLOPS, but the amount of "science" that is done. Points were supposed to be awarded that way. Given the current discrepancies of points generated per unit of GPU vs CPU, a lot of SMP-only folders are getting discouraged, especially the BigADV guys who are being forced back to "puny" SMP projects.

Kougar wrote:
The entire BigADV fiasco could've been better handled certainly, but that was a separate issue from the SMP client. It also makes sense they would focus on GPUs as that's where the performance is at, a 780 can already hit 200K PPD and that reflects more on the amount of actual work being done instead of tacked on bonus points just for having a 4P box going. If the current rate of PPD growth in GPUs remains constant, then the PPD for a single GPU could hit 1 million within three generations.... which certainly would've begun ending the BigADV craze in of itself fairly quickly if it keeps scaling like that. Can't wait to see what an optimized client will be capable of on a Titan II...

This will just mean the end of CPU folding, period. In that case, people will either stop or move on to other distributed computing projects which use CPUs. And that is fine, since there are lots of other worthwhile initiatives to be done.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:30 pm

personally I stick with paper Image
I've folded in past to see how things work.
I see no reason to start again... hydro is more expensive than ever, running my GPUs at full tilt for days on end is not only noisy but the heat!

Then you add on the drama. Sorry I try to live a drama free life.

Khali
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:49 pm

I gave it up because of the way the FAH team handled the end of the Big Adv. program. The science team ignored the donors who had concerns. The forum moderation team then proceeded to do Josef Stalin proud with their display of censorship and bannings for very lame reasons. When they were called on it they tried to delete the evidence to cover their back sides. It got bad enough that a lot of people were making copies of posts and putting them on other forums just so they had evidence of what was deleted or what they got banned for. In short it was a public relations disaster that was made worse by the forum moderation team and Dr. Pande's lack of doing anything to reign them in.

So I went over to Boinc to do distributed computing. There are several other projects that are studying proteins out there. I wasn't alone by looking at the ever shrinking of donor computers number. Then that number disappeared when it kept dropping to be replaced by a flops number that no one can verify.

Ok, its now time for some one to come along and give me grief for saying anything bad about FAH and mentioning Boinc. :-?

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:16 pm

Khali wrote:
Ok, its now time for some one to come along and give me grief for saying anything bad about FAH and mentioning Boinc. :-?

Don't worry, all forms of "distributed computing" are nonsense.

Khali
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Meadows wrote:
Khali wrote:

Interesting stance to take considering how many people do it. Could you explain why its nonsense?

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:39 am

Yes.

I didn't come all this way upgrading my computer with ever more efficient parts over the years just so it can run full tilt doing something I'll never reap the benefits of.
It's been years and years since "idle cycles were wasted cycles". Today's computers barely have idle cycles anymore, with their ever more numerous power saving states.

They should do what the coin mining people do and develop custom circuitry for this stuff that are a hundred times more efficient. Then all the Mother Theresas of the world could buy a couple and stick them wherever they please (wall socket or spare USB port) and "help humanity" without burning the goddamn house down.

Khali
Gerbil XP

Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:46 am

Hmm, not sure you will never ever get any benefits from a distributed computing project. You probably won't make a buck off of doing DC work so I guess your "whats in it for me?" approach has one point.

The Bio/Medical projects just might find a cure or treatment for a disease you might have or come down with in the future. For example, scientist in Japan have found 7 new drugs for the treatment of cancer in children and possibly adults earlier this year with the help of distributed computing via World Community Grid's Childhood Cancer project.

Then there are all the other projects in mathematics, physical sciences, etc. Who knows what might or might not come out of them. One little piece of information from a DC donors computer might show the way to all kinds of things like cheap non polluting power generation to finding ET coming to visit the Earth. Some of the possibilities are not very probable but they are still possible.

Its your, and my, choice to participate or not. You don't choose to and that's fine. I, and others, do choose to, for now.

LostCat

Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:48 am

Khali wrote:
The Bio/Medical projects just might find a cure or treatment for a disease you might have or come down with in the future.

I've always felt on the other side of that coin the inefficiency of it all is likely causing a lot of pollution and making me more likely to get ill in the first place.

Solving problems after making them worse...not really my thing.

(I would leave the thread alone normally though, since some people really dig this stuff.)
Meow.

LostCat

Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:52 am

Meadows wrote:

Coming into a subforum dedicated to DC just to crap on it seems like a poor choice.
Meow.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:03 am

I tended to view it as a form of charity. Actually, I still do; it is just that for me, my desire to "donate" isn't strong enough to outweigh the downsides any more. If electricity was cheaper (or if I could itemize the estimated electricity cost on my taxes as a charitable donation...) and I had more spare time, I'd consider assembling some sort of F@h farm in the attic.

As far as Meadows helicoptering in and taking a dump on things goes, it's just what he does. :roll:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:59 pm

Savyg wrote:
Coming into a subforum dedicated to DC just to crap on it seems like a poor choice.

I'm not against the idea in itself, but I do believe the current implementation is at least inefficient, if not outright bad. There exist better ways and we've seen them happen elsewhere.

Kougar

Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Neglect in terms of writing proper SMP code (that can scale up with >4 cores) so better "science" can be done through CPUs. For folding, it is not entirely about the FLOPS, but the amount of "science" that is done. Points were supposed to be awarded that way. Given the current discrepancies of points generated per unit of GPU vs CPU, a lot of SMP-only folders are getting discouraged, especially the BigADV guys who are being forced back to "puny" SMP projects.

Not to defend everything they've done... but the CPU work they're doing these days isn't highly parallel to begin with. All the projects types that benefit the most from parallel processing were migrated over to the GPU.

This was the problem with Bigadv folding, the SMP core & projects didn't lend themselves to multiprocessing well. A 4P system in reality folded around 3.5x instead of 4x of a single CPU. That was the specific reason they started the BigADV program, was to add enough bonus points to offset the performance loss. The entire thing got out of hand and they ended it badly... but I do agree it needed to be ended as it was simply harming Folding overall at that point.

Meadows wrote:
They should do what the coin mining people do and develop custom circuitry for this stuff that are a hundred times more efficient. Then all the Mother Theresas of the world could buy a couple and stick them wherever they please (wall socket or spare USB port) and "help humanity" without burning the goddamn house down.

That isn't physically possible. ASIC hardware requires what is being computed to not change... in effect, they would have to design a new ASIC every single time they added new projects which is almost weekly.

If you want to understand why it isn't possible, go read some Ars Technica posts on ASICs and coin mining. :wink:

BIF

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:02 am

just brew it! wrote:
I tended to view it as a form of charity...

I do too. Still do; still run at maximum warp, though now I have Process Lasso making sure I always have "just enough" CPU available for UI responsiveness.

Anybody looking at a chart of my numbers can easily see the days I am doing graphic rendering or other work. One x17 WU can take 15-16 hours when I'm not messing about with other stuff, so even one hour's delay for that work unit can push that "2nd WU" to the next calendar day, appearing to hurt my production.

My plans to build a new machine keep getting waylaid by life in general. Got some more house work coming up; will probably end up costing me $5k+ which was money I was expecting to spend on a new rendering server. Oh well. Gotta keep the rain out... :P