This is what I currently would want to do with the system that I'm looking to buy:
- Coding - The primary purpose, and where the money that will buying this system is coming from, will be what I do for a living. Probably the most taxing of what I use is either running multiple virtual systems for testing, or application servers for Java, such as Tomcat/JBoss, so if it can handle compiling large apps or running multiple VMs at once, anything else I throw at it such as AMP stacks (apache/mysql/php), python, or mobile development should work fine as well.
- Moving watching - I've been collecting a nice amount of HD movies, but the current system cant' handle playing them back, so it is one of the tasks that this system will need to do
- Gaming - Once upon a time I was able to multi client with EVE, which can be taxing. I'd be looking to be able to run at most three of four clients at nce (obviously more is better)
- Handling multiple monitors - after being stuck on a 15 inch laptop for the last three years the more video real estate the better. Was thinking two 24's with a 27/30 in the centre, but I'm open to options.
- Quiet - For such a tiny system, the laptop that I have is quite loud, what with the fans and optical drives. Needless to say, anything that tones down the noise without affecting performance would be welcomed.
So that's what I need for it to do in a nutshell. Budget isnt' much of a concern if the system will say "how high?!" when I say "jump!", although I'd prefer to keep it on the right side of 2k.
Thanks to anyone that replies.