Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

 
mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 9:50 am
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi Team,

I notices recently there was alot of AMD new CPU was out on the market , As i'm currently running at AMD Phenom II X2 555 on ASUS M4A87TD/USB3

Shall i get upgrade my CPU while the existing stock of AMD3 still available , I believe my motherboard will not able to support the latest AMD3+ .

How you think ? as i 'm only using this machines for youtube/surfing/ R&D database technology /vmware.
 
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9350
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:56 pm

I suggest you wait, but that you keep an eye on product availability.

The rumor is that AMD has stopped production of quad core Phenoms. However, I believe they have not stopped producing the X6 Phenoms - so availability of those still extends for the foreseeable future.

Beyond that, if your CPU is not showing any signs of slowing you down, you may be able to stick with it for the long run until you end up doing a mobo upgrade too.
 
morphine
Silver subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11155
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Portugal (that's next to Spain)

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:59 pm

If the current processor is doing fine for your tasks, there's really no reason to upgrade :)
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
 
anotherengineer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1425
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Timmins, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:23 pm

Money would be better spent on an SSD if you do not have one.

I seen the crucial M4 256GB somewhere the other day for $388!!
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
 
Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2294
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:14 am
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:26 pm

I would willingly go back to using a single core if that meant I could get an SSD. Just get a small one and install the OS on it. What a difference.
Mothership: Thuban 1055T@3.7GHz, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, GTX470+Icy Vision Rev.2@840/3800, Vertex 2E 60GB
Supply ship: Sargas@2.8GHz, 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Macbook Air Ivy Bridge
 
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9350
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:55 pm

I'll continue to opt not to get an SSD for my home computer. Have one at work and it is faster, but I have absolutely no need for one at home. Now, I would like to get myself a big 2TB drive and put ESXi on it and one of these spare computers I've got lying around.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 44628
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Virtualization tangent split to here: viewtopic.php?uid=1482&f=30&t=77579&start=0
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson
 
WarriorProphet
Gerbil
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:43 pm

Unless you already own a phenom x6 I would get that vs waiting for IB-E or bullozer a/b/c/d/e... 6 real cores willl win for awhile...
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 44628
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:05 am

Yeah, I was actually kind of considering getting an X6 for my main rig (currently have an X4 955)...
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson
 
mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 9:50 am
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:59 am

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, I was actually kind of considering getting an X6 for my main rig (currently have an X4 955)...


Thank guy ,now I'm more confident to wait for the real X6..:)
 
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9350
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Shall i upgrade my processor now ?

Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:47 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, I was actually kind of considering getting an X6 for my main rig (currently have an X4 955)...

955 is what I have as well and there seems to be nothing it cannot handle for now. It will easily last till my next platform upgrade (I'm still on DDR2) at which point it will either be BD or SB, and rumors haven't been very kind to BD so far.

If the OP can overclock his Q6600 to 3.0 GHz that should meet or beat the performance of the X4 955.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests