Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Windows 7 Libraries - crippled to the point of useless

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:38 am

So, I really want for this feature to be useful, but the fact that it is difficult to add a network location and the fact that you can only add folders to a library - you cannot add single files - is just stupid and kills the usefulness. Anyone else feel that way? Ugh. It makes me mad.

Edit: OK, I just got so mad at the uselessness of the whole thing that I disabled the hideously crippled feature.
Last edited by flip-mode on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Re: Windows 7 Libraries - crippled to the point of useless

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Hmm... so no one else is using libraries?

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:02 pm

One thing that annoys me is that turning them off breaks a couple of things.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:05 pm

cheesyking wrote:
One thing that annoys me is that turning them off breaks a couple of things.

I have not noticed that. What breaks?

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:46 pm

just been trying to think and now it comes to it i can't remember . All that comes back to me is that it had been in use with libraries off for a few months before I ran across what it broke so it's not something you use every day.
You're being a bit harsh on libraries though, for most people they're pretty handy.
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:53 pm

I don't use them myself. But I really don't have a need to, as I keep things mostly well defined, and don't have them scattered across several folders.
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 760
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:16 pm

cheesyking wrote:
You're being a bit harsh on libraries though, for most people they're pretty handy.

I'm trying to understand how. I could understand the usefulness of being able to make a library of individual documents - a way to extract the gems from the dirt, so to speak. But as it functions now, libraries are a way to combine all the dirt that I took the time to sort into different types of dirt to begin with. I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm trying to see the usefulness. I see a very small amount of usefulness here; there is some, but it seems the most useful functionality is missing.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:00 pm

flip-mode wrote:
So, I really want for this feature to be useful, but the fact that it is difficult to add a network location and the fact that you can only add files to a library and you cannot add single files is just stupid and kills the usefulness. Anyone else feel that way? Ugh. It makes me mad.

I believe there is a way to add network location? However, there's a price to be paid as indexing across a network is not always smooth. I am not a heavy user of the feature, I just put multiple folders under a Library I found it to make sense (example: I can have Anime, TV, Movies, all under the Videos library. As these subfolders grow I can move them to different drives/partitions and I can still navigate them from the same starting point.).

I don't even know you can add individual files to a library? I thought it is always per folder... :oops:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:37 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
flip-mode wrote:
So, I really want for this feature to be useful, but the fact that it is difficult to add a network location and the fact that you can only add files to a library and you cannot add single files is just stupid and kills the usefulness. Anyone else feel that way? Ugh. It makes me mad.

I believe there is a way to add network location? However, there's a price to be paid as indexing across a network is not always smooth. I am not a heavy user of the feature, I just put multiple folders under a Library I found it to make sense (example: I can have Anime, TV, Movies, all under the Videos library. As these subfolders grow I can move them to different drives/partitions and I can still navigate them from the same starting point.).

I don't even know you can add individual files to a library? I thought it is always per folder... :oops:

Sorry, typo in my original post, should have said: you can only add folders - you cannot add single files. Fixed first post.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:42 pm

They worked fine for what they're meant for?

I have too many video files to fit on one hard drive so I leave them on two and just combine them into a single library. Seems to work fine.

flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
They worked fine for what they're meant for?

I have too many video files to fit on one hard drive so I leave them on two and just combine them into a single library. Seems to work fine.

OK, I can see the benefit of libraries when working with multiple hard drives, though that is still useless to me.