Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

iPROpc
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

One Router - Two Buffalo repeaters - This the way?

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:49 pm

SO I have a New Netgear WNDR4500 as the main router and want to use two Buffalo Technology AirStation High Power N300 Wireless Routers as extenders to go through a very long condo. So do I set the two routers up say on 192.168.1.2 and 3 and start the Netgear out at 192.168.1.4 or do I keep at starting at 2 so they are within the DHCP range?

I seem to have issues with extenders/repeaters/bridges because I seem to always read conflicting guides depending on the gear involved, what certain companies define as bridges, repeaters, etc. and I am more than a little confused overall.

Experience-wise I shouldn't be, been doing this too long. Just seems that it's become more foggy with more choices, and I am at a bit of a loss to find the best solutions for nay given job.

Suggestions welcome of course!

Chris
iPROpc

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: One Router - Two Buffalo repeaters - This the way?

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:34 pm

Extenders/Repeaters are the right tech to extend the range of a wireless network, but they have a specific downside. One radio must dedicate itself to communicating with the home base station. Meaning the effective bandwidth for those using the repeaters is halved. 300 Mbps will be 150 Mbps instead.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:49 am

You want to set them at fixed IPs outside of the DHCP range but within the subnet range.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:10 am

Looking to do something similar and might go with http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

I wanted to have one wireless network, same SSID, for the entire range of coverage and I wanted WPA2. From what I read, though, only dd-wrt or some custom implementations will allow this since it's not part of some standard yet?

So I, too, am confused as to wtf to do about this. The scenario is a DSL line going to a modem/router, then from there I'd plug in a wireless system. Totally separate from the main business line which is fiber--we keep the "free wireless for employees" on a totally different system out of paranoia.