Personal computing discussed

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

 
DrkSide
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:08 pm
Contact:

.COM, .CO, or .NET Does it matter?

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Looking at starting a small local business but the domain that I am really wanting is only available in .CO or .NET. I can change it and make it a more local (tied to the area) and get a .COM. My main question is does it really matter anymore if you have a .COM or not?

Thoughts or ideas?
 
absurdity
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: VT

Re: .COM, .CO, or .NET Does it matter?

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:37 pm

.net is a very recognizable domain, so that might be a good way to go. I don't see any reason why it would matter, otherwise. Personal preference and recognizability, maybe. Might be worth looking into who is actually hosting .co before planting yourself there.
 
DrkSide
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:08 pm
Contact:

Re: .COM, .CO, or .NET Does it matter?

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:40 pm

What do you mean who is hosting the .co?
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 45504
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: .COM, .CO, or .NET Does it matter?

Tue May 01, 2012 2:45 am

.co is nominally assigned to the Republic of Colombia, but anyone is allowed to register domains with a .co suffix even if they're not associated with that country.

Personally I'd go with the .net, or find a different domain name in .com. If you go with .co, people are going to think that the m is missing and type it anyway (whether consciously or not).
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson
 
TravelMug
Gerbil
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:53 am

Re: .COM, .CO, or .NET Does it matter?

Tue May 01, 2012 3:22 am

I think in OPs case the .co means something like .co.uk or .co.nz rather than Colombia.
 
dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3642
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:24 pm
Location: Oz

Re: .COM, .CO, or .NET Does it matter?

Tue May 01, 2012 4:22 am

If your selling in the USA then get .com. If your selling in a specific country then get that countries address e.g. com.au, .com.fr, co.uk, etc. It gives the users a mental short cut to currency, shipping, relevancy, etc. Also it will help your search, google normally puts local shops higher in the search results.

Side Note: I wish they had of dropped the .com, .net, etc and just had the name. It only confuses users, why is whitehouse.gov different to whitehouse.com, whitehouse.net or whitehouse.com.au.
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.
 
DrkSide
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:08 pm
Contact:

Re: .COM, .CO, or .NET Does it matter?

Tue May 01, 2012 6:16 am

Well, when they started registering .co I just thought that it was a global TLD like .com. Looking it up it is recognized as a global tld but I did not know that it is acctually Columbias tld. With that being said I think that I will register them both and redirect one to whichever one I want to use.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 45504
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: .COM, .CO, or .NET Does it matter?

Tue May 01, 2012 7:55 am

DrkSide wrote:
Well, when they started registering .co I just thought that it was a global TLD like .com. Looking it up it is recognized as a global tld but I did not know that it is acctually Columbias tld. With that being said I think that I will register them both and redirect one to whichever one I want to use.

People are still going to confuse the .co one with .com, and since that one is already taken you can't redirect to/from it.
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson
 
Jambe
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 750
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: .COM, .CO, or .NET Does it matter?

Wed May 02, 2012 1:05 am

just brew it! wrote:
People are still going to confuse the .co one with .com, and since that one is already taken you can't redirect to/from it.


He'll redirect the .co to the .net (as opposed to the .com to the .net).
 
UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Posts: 10192
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: .COM, .CO, or .NET Does it matter?

Wed May 02, 2012 2:04 am

Jambe wrote:
He'll redirect the .co to the .net (as opposed to the .com to the .net).
But that doesn't help in the very (most?) common case of the users just typing .com and getting taken somewhere else entirely with no way for him to redirect them back. While it's true that many people will find their way to the site via search engines (rather than typing in the domain), the domain is likely going on things like business cards. And most people will just type .com on the end of whatever domain you tell them; they'll even type it when copying it off a business card that plainly says something else (and if it's ".co" pure muscle memory will add the "m").
dragmor wrote:
Side Note: I wish they had of dropped the .com, .net, etc and just had the name. It only confuses users, why is whitehouse.gov different to whitehouse.com, whitehouse.net or whitehouse.com.au.
Well, then who gets to decide where a given domain points? Without TLDs, you would've had a situation where essentially the USA was the arbitrator who got to decide if (say) "Victoria" pointed to the website for a state in Australia, the capitol of British Columbia, a city in Minnesota, a lingerie company, or the personal website of Ms. David Beckham. Sure, that would've gotten worked out with "VictoriaBC" and "VictoriasSecret" etc, but would Australia be happy with the US (or US registrar companies) dictating how its government domains were named?
 
Jambe
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 750
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: .COM, .CO, or .NET Does it matter?

Wed May 02, 2012 3:07 am

UberGerbil wrote:
But that doesn't help in the very (most?) common case of the users just typing .com and getting taken somewhere else entirely with no way for him to redirect them back. While it's true that many people will find their way to the site via search engines (rather than typing in the domain), the domain is likely going on things like business cards. And most people will just type .com on the end of whatever domain you tell them; they'll even type it when copying it off a business card that plainly says something else (and if it's ".co" pure muscle memory will add the "m").


I strongly protest thy compact-quotery.

And yeah, I get it, I was just clarifying DrkSide's (apparent) position. If he publicizes the .net, he'll just let the .co hang out in the shadows and redirect if somebody leaves the m off the other person/group's URL (not sure they'll appreciate that...).
 
Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2317
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:55 am
Location: Latvia

Re: .COM, .CO, or .NET Does it matter?

Wed May 02, 2012 2:10 pm

COM is the best one, because people automatically try it first. NET is sometimes also very nice, especially if site is network related. CO is bad, I never even knew such suffix existed.

Sometimes you can also use ORG.

But for commercial domains I would try in the following order:

1) COM
2) NET
3) CO.UK
4) EU
5) ORG (maybe)
6) Domain doesn't matter, only Google leads to your site.
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 45504
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: .COM, .CO, or .NET Does it matter?

Wed May 02, 2012 8:45 pm

.org has traditionally been reserved for non-profits. I don't believe there's any hard-and-fast rule against commercial entities using it, but some people may consider it misleading and/or bad form.
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson
 
AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1663
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Australia, the backwater of all things Technology!

Re: .COM, .CO, or .NET Does it matter?

Thu May 03, 2012 7:17 am

Might be worth trying for .com, very popular extension.

On one of the sites I helped create, we've got a .com.au domain and we've been offered a fair amount of money for it because its the first result that pops up in google, if you search "Aussie Diggers", haha.
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests