Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mythbuntu - DVD Playback

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:16 am

I'm new to the whole MythTV thing and I haven't really screwed around to far into Ubuntu since the Fiesty Fawn days... But I installed "Mythbuntu" (a derivative of Ubuntu) and I'm not getting DVD playback to work for me, odd. It simple goes to the "Please Wait" and then it returns to the main Optical Drive menu. Anyone have a clue whats going on with it? System is thrown together, specs below.

AMD skt939 3800+
AMD 4670 1gb
1gb Corsair XMS DDR400
Using a Random CD/DVD Rom out of an Acer desktop I scrapped some parts from.
The Optical drive works to my knowledge as I installed from a burned DVD for Mythbuntu.

I tried three DVD movies so far, Zoolander, Rush Hour 2, and Rainman.... The only one that looked like it was going to work was Zoolander. The menu loaded up but discolored (green in tint) and as soon as it loads it goes back to the main Optical Menu. Anyone have a clue whats going on? There is no TV Tuner installed in the system YET.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Mythbuntu - DVD Playback

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:17 am

Sorry to flog a link at you, but the info here may be useful:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Restr ... layingDVDs

If you already have libdvdcss2/libdvdread4 installed/active, then something else might be the problem. IME, getting green garbage when attempting to play a DVD *usually* means it's encrypted (pretty much every commercial DVD ever made is), and that the player is attempting to play the encoded data.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:45 am

Hmmm, lots of things I'm noticing with Mythbuntu that are kind of a pain. Out of the box there are a lot of default programs that are disabled for the sake of "simplicity". Including, but not limited to, getting rid of the volume notification that I recall using in vanilla Ubuntu. Used Alsamixer and adjusted everything down to right at green with the exception of the master which is now set to 100%... seemed to get rid of distortion and sound is nice and loud :)

Well I went ahead and installed the Libdvdcss2... I didn't quite get around to the dread4 yet. I was able to load into Rainman after installing Libdvdcss2 and restarting the MythFrontEnd. However, all of the colors seem to be inverted or something because tom cruises face makes him look like he is apart of the blue man group! I also tested a few videos that I dropped into the Video folder for Ubuntu and set them as the default directory in MythTV. I watched these MP4 videos and the same discoloring occurs. Play these same videos in VLC outside of the frontend and there is NO problem what so ever.

Oh and Flog away :) I found that article helpful to the installation process. Although I had to re-learn how to copy and paste in Ubuntu again ahah. Its the subtle changes that make it a learning curve.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:41 am

Sounds like you have the DVD issue nailed, just have to track down the video-weird-colors side. Have you posted this in any Myth or Ubuntu forums?

Also, if Mythbuntu makes you crazy, give XBMCbuntu a try. It's a narrower focus, smaller feature set, but higher function and more polish (IMO) as a result.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Got it fixed! Apparently with an AMD video card the hue gets set to 0% instead of say... 50%. Ran across a lot of notes about this for version 0.21 and 0.22 for MythTV but no mention of it in 0.25. Seems like a large oversight. I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that in the AMD drivers they consider the figure 0 as in "No Additional Change in Hue" or as a base starting point in hue. And in the MythTV - MythVideo that its plugin recongnizes 0 out of a scale of 0-100%, hence 0 is not normal... 50% is.

For future reference you DO NOT have to go into Live TV to fix this setting as all documentation suggests. Instead you can go into Optical Disc, and play a DVD. Once in the DVD press "M" to bring up the Menu, this is helpful for someone who does not have a TV tuner card and is using MythTV as a player or just hasn't gotten around to installing a tuner card. Then go to Video>Adjust Picture>Hue and press your right arrow until you reach 50% hue or whatever looks best on your system.

Thanks Forge for the links and suggestions. Now to just get around to installing a Tuner card and perfecting the use of it.

kc77
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:04 pm

I use Myth and XBMC (with Mythbox plugin) together and the combination is the best of both worlds. The only thing left to do is get XBMC upgraded which I may or may not do. Right now everything is compatible and works. So I'm not too keen on changing it.
Core i7 920 @stock - 6GB OCZ Mem - Adaptec 5805 - 2 x Intel X25-M in RAID1 - 5 x Western Digital RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB in RAID 6 - Nvidia GTX 460

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:13 pm

Well ive got the MythTV running on that 3800+.. but with a single core and DDR1 ram its sort of a weak candidate for this project imo. Id rather have it on this little E2200 that i had dropped in my lap. The board came out of a broken Acer aspire (case was actually bent to hell) with no ram. One of the two ram slots is cracked but the other is fine and i could easily repair the second one as its only the plastics. The nice thing about the board is that it has HDMI onboard with the nvidia gpu and spdif audio out :) as well as DDR2. The fan on the cpu is whisper quiet too so it would make a great htpc. Not to mention the e2220 is comfortably at sub 90*F temps even at full load.

The issue is that when trying to install either Mythbuntu or XMBCbuntu it gets to the respective load screens off of the disk and then times out claiming it can find an active drive with the files to install. Same story from a bootable thumb drive. I was able to throw a windows 7 disc and do an install flawlessly so ots not the drive that is the same one used on the 3800+ build ive been troubleshooting.