Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

donna25
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Laptop suddenly off

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:20 am

My problem is that my laptop turns off suddenly. It works for some minutes but If I open some program or search in the internet, it goes off without any warning.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Re: Laptop suddenly off

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:02 am

Try that with battery by itself. See if you can reproduce that issue. Then remove the battery and use AC power alone. See if you can reproduce this issue. If it happens on one or the other, replace the offending item. If it happens on both, send the notebook in for service with AC and battery. (Most likely it is internal!)

Remember, you must test with just AC alone and battery alone in order to eliminate the possibility of an easy fix vs. serious repairs.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:42 am

Also, if its been a while, blow some compressed air through the heatpipes and make sure the fan spins. I have a seen a lot of dirty laptops turn off due to over heating.

Post the make, model and specs if u can as well.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:16 am

I would try riviera74s advise....yes it it safe to remove the battery from the laptop and run it with the battery removed and using the the power adapter.

Cleaning the fans and such is a good idea if you do not do it every once in a while, just when you are using compressed air be from a air compressor or canned air do it with the battery out. Also do not use the air and make your fans spin to as fast as you can it can kill a fan and yes using high pressure air can make then blow past 10k rpms......not a good thing. that goes for any fan you are blowing out. I use a toothpick or something to hold a fan so it cannot free spin.
I killed a graphics card fan on a older video card seeing how fast i could make it spin...stupid:)
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system