Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Dposcorp

Ari Atari
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

MSI Afterburner causing bootloops

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi, I wanted to try using MSI Afterburner to regulate the fan on my 7970, but for some reason whenever I set it to start at boot it crashes and gives me this weird error box on the next boot. I'm using windows 7 and the latest version of afterburner and the problem only occurs when it's set to start at boot; if done manually afterwards it works just fine. I've tried reinstalling it, and I can't find anything really like it on Google, only a similar problem with Google chrome where the fix was to give privileges to a config file. Any ideas?

Mentawl
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Re: MSI Afterburner causing bootloops

Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Rather than setting it to start at boot via Afterburner itself, try running it at startup via Task Scheduler, ensuring it's running under your privileges. Afterburner looks in C:\Users\Username\Appdata (or whichever drive you have Windows 7 on) for the various XML files, and I'm guessing it's trying to start itself without the permissions required to access your Appdata folder.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ule-a-task should help setup the task. :)
i5-4670k @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK | nVidia GTX1080 | 32gb DDR3| 4x SSDs 1x HDD | Antec Solo II | Dell U2713HM

Ari Atari
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Well, I'd never thought to use the task scheduler before, it sure is nifty. It also caused problems... after creating the task, checking the run with highest privileges and rebooting, I still got the bootloop, except it wasn't so simple as editing the task from safe mode. I used another computer to find that I had to delete the task manually, which was fun. Strangely enough, adding a delay of 30 seconds fixes the bootloop, probably because its not at startup. Still, why is it causing a total failure at boot if adding privileges isn't the problem?

Ari Atari
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:12 pm

Oh, forgot to add: I'm using windows 7 64bit Professional and there is no afterburner folder in my app data folder.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:45 am

Sounds like some other service it is relying on hasn't finished coming up yet.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

Mentawl
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:46 pm

Yes, try making it run at login rather than at startup.
i5-4670k @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK | nVidia GTX1080 | 32gb DDR3| 4x SSDs 1x HDD | Antec Solo II | Dell U2713HM