Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Very weird Borderlands 2 problem

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:21 am

Ok, I've never seen anything like this before, and I'm hoping someone here will be able to lend a hand. I decided to pull the trigger on a pair of 4gb GTX680s to try to get some better framerates on my 3 monitor setup (there may be some good AMD cards showing up in the BB soon). Since installing them, I noticed BL2 was running in a very choppy fashion. I tried a lot of things with drivers, bios settings, etc., and nothing helped.

I then noticed the gamed only stuttered when I moved the mouse. If I didn't move the mouse at all it ran like a champ, now here's where it gets weird. If I hold down the right button on the mouse, the problem goes away. I first noticed this when zooming in with my weapon, but while troubleshooting the problem I found that clicking the right mouse button made the stutter go away on the character selection screen, so it has nothing to do with the zoom.

I spent about 2 hours all over google last night changing polling rates on my mice tweaking game settings, updating my BIOS and updating drivers with no luck. The problem even persisted through 2 motherboards (although it was the same windows install). Other games seem to run just fine, and from what I saw online this is specifically a Borderlands problem, although it doesn't seem like anyone has a clear solution.

Thoughts?

leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Very weird Borderlands 2 problem

Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:32 pm

64 views and no replies, is my problem that fringe?

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:23 pm

leor wrote:
64 views and no replies, is my problem that fringe?

leor wrote:
...pair of 4gb GTX680s...

Yes. Yes, it is.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:29 am

Have you considered removing one of your graphics cards and just flying solo to see if the problem persists?
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:28 am

Darkmage wrote:
Have you considered removing one of your graphics cards and just flying solo to see if the problem persists?

Which assumes you haven't tried the blindingly obvious already, and tried another mouse.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:32 am

Step one if possible.
Plug in a different mouse and see if moving it causes the problem to persist.
Step 2 move the mouse to a different USB port.
3 maybe update the mouse driver if it is one that requires software.
Reading on another forum said it could be caused by cpu overclocking or bad driver with even the sound card some how.

wirerogue
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:36 am

my borderlands 2 gets choppy if i have vsync and smooth mouse enabled at the same time. i have to turn one or the other off.

leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:53 am

I've tried it with vsync and smooth mouse off and off, as well as one on and one off. I swapped the graphics cards in position, tried 2 different mice (one from razer, one from madcatz) in different USB ports, reinstalled their drivers, changed the polling rates and sensitivity settings. I changed the mouse sensitivity in game, and a lot of other goofy things that one might try to do when the conventional options are exhausted. I also tried changing the quality of the in game settings all the way down tot he bottom, no change.

I changed every BIOS option I could think of, one at a time to split test. Please keep in mind this problem persisted through 2 motherboards, and the only thing that changed was moving from AMD to nvidia. I'm not as familiar with nvidia drivers, but I made sure SLI was enabled. I also tried it with SLI off and only using one card, there's some odd nvidia dark magic at work here.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:49 pm

leor wrote:
I've tried it with vsync and smooth mouse off and off, as well as one on and one off. I swapped the graphics cards in position, tried 2 different mice (one from razer, one from madcatz) in different USB ports, reinstalled their drivers, changed the polling rates and sensitivity settings. I changed the mouse sensitivity in game, and a lot of other goofy things that one might try to do when the conventional options are exhausted. I also tried changing the quality of the in game settings all the way down tot he bottom, no change.

I changed every BIOS option I could think of, one at a time to split test. Please keep in mind this problem persisted through 2 motherboards, and the only thing that changed was moving from AMD to nvidia. I'm not as familiar with nvidia drivers, but I made sure SLI was enabled. I also tried it with SLI off and only using one card, there's some odd nvidia dark magic at work here.

Silly question because i know you are old timer, but did you wipe the AMD driver before installing the Nvidia one ?
Last edited by Jigar on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

havanu
Gerbil First Class

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:42 am

I'm pretty sure less than 0,1 percent of people have ever installed 4 cards of that level of power to get something they wanted.
The game-makers themselves probably never ever tested for it.
I mean, seriously? Doing all that because some game won't work properly on a setup that is quite outragous to begin with?
I'd say leave it be, and try to enjoy the game in normal SLI or whatever.
I7-3770@4ghz, Asus P8H77-M, NVIDIA 980ti GTX, 16 gig DDR3-800 Kingston, 1x Samsung 840 EVO 512gb SSD, 2x 3000GB 7200rpm SATA WD Black, Lite-on Blu-ray 16x DVD+-RW, X-fi Titanium HD, Corsair 550D Obsidian.
Asus Zenbook UX302 with i5 and 256gb SSD.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:35 am

Obviously it's not SLI that's the issue, because he tried turning off SLI. Did you even read the thread before you commented?
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

havanu
Gerbil First Class

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:28 am

grantmeaname wrote:
Obviously it's not SLI that's the issue, because he tried turning off SLI. Did you even read the thread before you commented?

You're quite right, I missed that step. I just read up to the part where he swiched the cards around, thus assumed Borderlands had been working well BEFORE he installed the extra 3 (or 2 cards...).
Good luck with solving the problem!
I7-3770@4ghz, Asus P8H77-M, NVIDIA 980ti GTX, 16 gig DDR3-800 Kingston, 1x Samsung 840 EVO 512gb SSD, 2x 3000GB 7200rpm SATA WD Black, Lite-on Blu-ray 16x DVD+-RW, X-fi Titanium HD, Corsair 550D Obsidian.
Asus Zenbook UX302 with i5 and 256gb SSD.

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:06 am

Maybe I missed it but during your testing did you disable 2 of your 3 monitors and just run BL2 normally?

Also, I saw that you checked the polling rate of the mouse but did you check the refresh rate of your monitors in the nvidia control panel? Maybe nvidia identified one at a higher/lower refresh rate than your AMD cards did. Make sure they're all set to 60Hz first and work your way up (if your panels are faster than that, that is).

Oh, and this problem only happens in borderlands 2? No other game?

leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:08 am

Only 2 cards in SLI, not sure where the 3rd or 4th came from ;-)

It only happens in Borderlands 2, I haven't checked the refresh rates, ill have a look at that tonight. The monitors are connected using 2 display ports and one DVI, I wonder if that makes a difference...

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:14 am

leor wrote:
The monitors are connected using 2 display ports and one DVI, I wonder if that makes a difference...

I had forgotten to ask this so I'm glad you brought it up. I imagine that you would see the problem in other games if it were due to your cable setup but you might see choppiness due to cables if your one DVI cable is plugged into a single-link instead of dual-link port. Anyway, yeah try different cables and definitely only try one monitor if you haven't already.

Other thing you might wanna try is to disable adaptive vsync in the nvidia control panel. It's a new feature that comes with 6 series cards that AMD cards lack so that might just be the culprit.

SonOfZion
Gerbil In Training

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:40 am

Hi guys

System:
i5 2500k Stock and OC'ed
16GB Ram
660TI 2GB

I have exactly the same problem as the OP

Every time I play the game in triple monitor mode it has the exact same mouse problem. If I hold mouse 1 or 2 down and move the mouse it runs fine. If I dont hold it down the whole game freezes to 0fps untill I stop moving the mouse.
I have tried 2 generic optical mice and a logitec G9x and they all have the same problem ( no mouse driver other than the win7 HID). I Also changed the polling rate to 125 and the reg edit for 100dpi. New Drivers/Bios etc etc

When I run the game in 1920x1080 while in triple mode even though my other 2 monitors switch off the mouse problem persists. ONLY when I switch to single monitor mode in windows does the error go away.

Now here where it gets ****ed up I ran it on the 15th after messing around stopping processes in the task manager, hey presto it worked for the rest of the night in 3 monitor mode with 0 problems. Rebooted and the problem came back now for the life of me I can not get it to work again even after stopping all the processes I can in the task manager. STRANGE!

To the OP I would like to ask a few questions:
When you changed from your old ATI cards did your driver still leave a task running in task manager? aticelxx or somthing like that?
Do you have a Drawing tablet like a Bamboo?
Do you have any 3rd party software for your controlers? for example Motionjoy?
What Brand mobo>?
What driver does you mouse have in hardware manager?

The only thing I an see we have in common is going from ATI to NVIDIA

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:11 am

My friend had this issue with borderlands 1.
Do you guys have that on your computer? If so check and see if the issue is there as well.
To fix it we ended up reinstalling windows. It was not fun.

SonOfZion
Gerbil In Training

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:41 am

Thanks for that SpartanCaptain

This is the very last thing I want to do though as it takes me absolutely forever to get set back up again, I have also seen in one or 2 places on the web that this didnt help a few people.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:34 am

If it is Windows 7 you could try to Sysprep the machine. See if a reset of the hardware and services might unstick things. It'll leave your programs intact.

As always, please make a complete PC restore with Windows Backup and Restore before you Sysprep the box.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:47 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
If it is Windows 7 you could try to Sysprep the machine. See if a reset of the hardware and services might unstick things. It'll leave your programs intact.

As always, please make a complete PC restore with Windows Backup and Restore before you Sysprep the box.

I wonder if this wouldn't be harder than a traditional wipe and reload for the uninitiated?

leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Looking at the task manager, I do see a process called atieclxx.exe which calls itself AMD system manager. I'll disable that process and give it another shot.

Thanks for the sysprep advice Ryu, but I'm thinking of just migrating the whole shebang to Windows 8 on a different drive and doing a gradual transfer. I already have access through my action pack subscription.

leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:42 am

Well the clean install method seemed to do the trick, even if it was Windows 8. A really fun part was while installing some software I got a message on the top right of my right hand monitor asking me to "tap here to decide how you want windows to handle this disk."

I opted to click with the mouse rather than poke my Dell u3011.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:11 am

leor wrote:
Well the clean install method seemed to do the trick, even if it was Windows 8. A really fun part was while installing some software I got a message on the top right of my right hand monitor asking me to "tap here to decide how you want windows to handle this disk."

But... what if it worked?
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:52 am

morphine wrote:
leor wrote:

But... what if it worked?

^ made me actually laugh