Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

 
elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 1030
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada
Contact:

Odd network files issue - Windows 8

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:31 am

Guy,

I'm having an issue where when resuming from sleep, folders and files located on a Windows 2008R2 share are greyed out with an x... I seem to recall a fix for this (flushing network cache?) but my google-fu fails me.

Workstation is Windows 8 Pro (64bit), Offline files disabled, gigabit wired connection to small 8 port Dlink switch (same switch as server).

I don't see this behaviour on my Win7 laptop or Win7 kids desktop.
iMac Retina - 32GB- 1 TB SSD - M295X
Gamer - i5-6600K, 16GB, GTX960, 950 PRO, 840EVO
 
Arvald
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:14 pm
Location: Gerbil-land, Canada

Re: Odd network files issue - Windows 8

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:38 am

ipconfig /flushdns ?
 
Ryu Connor
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 4066
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA
Contact:

Re: Odd network files issue - Windows 8

Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:06 pm

I've seen 7 exhibit that behavior too.

IIRC it is harmless, just access the share and viola it works.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
 
elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 1030
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada
Contact:

Re: Odd network files issue - Windows 8

Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Its harmless for sure, just a PITA.

I have to try from an actual mapped drive, the problem is with the libraries.. ie: My Documents pointed to \\server\docs, etc.

They've fixed something since release though, when I first tried Win8, it would see my network shares, but would not access them without a bunch of hack.. a problem with SMB 3.0 IIRC..
iMac Retina - 32GB- 1 TB SSD - M295X
Gamer - i5-6600K, 16GB, GTX960, 950 PRO, 840EVO
 
Ryu Connor
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 4066
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA
Contact:

Re: Odd network files issue - Windows 8

Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Updating your NIC drivers may help.

A delay in the NIC driver resuming from sleep could be the source of woe.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
 
Arvald
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:14 pm
Location: Gerbil-land, Canada

Re: Odd network files issue - Windows 8

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Updating your NIC drivers may help.

A delay in the NIC driver resuming from sleep could be the source of woe.


Sorry did not completely get at what you had asked initially.

I've seen the same issue on Windows 7 (have not seen on Windows 8)
in transitioning to sleep Windows marks the paths as "down" sometime during the "sleepdown". on waking back up it does not seem to test open windows again on use but on on system startup (ie network is not yet up). Hence the only way to use an open folder is to browse in another window to the same drive to get windows to re-check the connection then you can go back tot he old explorer window.

Updating NIC drivers does not help this behaviour as it seems to be windows centric.
 
Ryu Connor
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 4066
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA
Contact:

Re: Odd network files issue - Windows 8

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Arvald wrote:
Updating NIC drivers does not help this behaviour as it seems to be windows centric.


I'm afraid I can't agree with your viewpoint.

You could also try preventing the NIC from going to sleep.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
 
Arvald
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:14 pm
Location: Gerbil-land, Canada

Re: Odd network files issue - Windows 8

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Arvald wrote:
Updating NIC drivers does not help this behaviour as it seems to be windows centric.


I'm afraid I can't agree with your viewpoint.

You could also try preventing the NIC from going to sleep.


Well I for one have updated NIC drivers to no change in the behaviour, since I had a work around and was not that attached to my open windows I left it at that.

and that setting you showed would have no effect on power down in a sleep/hibernate situation. a Wake on lan setting would but that is UEFI or BIOS based.

But you are entitled to your opinion, as always.
 
Ryu Connor
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 4066
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA
Contact:

Re: Odd network files issue - Windows 8

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:07 pm

Arvald wrote:
Well I for one have updated NIC drivers to no change in the behaviour, since I had a work around and was not that attached to my open windows I left it at that.


Going from one driver with a broke feature to a newer driver with the same broke feature doesn't constitute proof. ;)

and that setting you showed would have no effect on power down in a sleep/hibernate situation. a Wake on lan setting would but that is UEFI or BIOS based.


The second checkbox has to do with WOL, not the first.

Link

But you are entitled to your opinion, as always.


I tend to deal in fact, not opinion. ;)

What I can't promise is that what should work, will work. See the driver line at the beginning.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
 
cphite
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 am

Re: Odd network files issue - Windows 8

Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Arvald wrote:
Ryu Connor wrote:
Arvald wrote:
Updating NIC drivers does not help this behaviour as it seems to be windows centric.


I'm afraid I can't agree with your viewpoint.

You could also try preventing the NIC from going to sleep.


Well I for one have updated NIC drivers to no change in the behaviour, since I had a work around and was not that attached to my open windows I left it at that.


There is no guarantee that a driver update is going to fix every problem. If the folks who wrote the drivers were perfect, they wouldn't have needed to write an update...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests