Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

 
vonk
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi all, :D

I'm new here, hoping to get some help in finding the keyless entry remote for my 2011 Jeep that became misplaced in my home. I have a portable RF Singnal Meter for cell phone bands and was hoipng there might be something like that vailable at 300 MHZ.

Thanks for any advice.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 44148
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Keyless entry remotes don't transmit continuously (the batteries would run down). They only transmit when a button is pressed.
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson
 
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7489
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Sherlock Holmes says to consider every place it can't be and whatever is left is where it is.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
 
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Don't worry, you'll find it eventually... After a year or two :wink:
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
 
vonk
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Keyless entry remotes don't transmit continuously (the batteries would run down). They only transmit when a button is pressed.

Thanks, but my remote needs no button to be pushed. When I walk up to the car and touch the door handle, all door locks snap open. How does the car know that the remote is in my pocket?
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 16830
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:58 pm

It's like an RFID.
 
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:33 pm

vonk wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Keyless entry remotes don't transmit continuously (the batteries would run down). They only transmit when a button is pressed.

Thanks, but my remote needs no button to be pushed. When I walk up to the car and touch the door handle, all door locks snap open. How does the car know that the remote is in my pocket?

You walk up to a car, touch special area, which makes the car itself to transmit special signal... Your key detects it (it is not constantly transmitting, but it is "listening" to certain signals, which takes less power), transmits the unlock signal to the car, the car opens... If you can emulate your car's transmitter signal - I guess you can make the key to also start transmitting its own signal... But that's probably not as easy as it sounds, especially if, for example, the key's battery is low or is completely dead (the key won't transmit anything without power source... That's why these things usually have a back-up mechanical key).
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
 
vonk
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:04 pm

JohnC wrote:
You walk up to a car, touch special area, which makes the car itself to transmit special signal... Your key detects it (it is not constantly transmitting, but it is "listening" to certain signals, which takes less power), transmits the unlock signal to the car, the car opens... If you can emulate your car's transmitter signal - I guess you can make the key to also start transmitting its own signal... But that's probably not as easy as it sounds, especially if, for example, the key's battery is low or is completely dead (the key won't transmit anything without power source... That's why these things usually have a back-up mechanical key).

Thanks JohnC, that makes a lot of sense. And I bet the remote would only respont to the car's special signal.
Another way to find it is to buy a new one.........
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 16830
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:26 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Sherlock Holmes says to consider every place it can't be and whatever is left is where it is.
Could it be in the laundry? Maybe it's under the cushions in the couch or La-Z-Boy?

For the future, I suggest that you designate one spot to store this item when you're in the house. Then it will always be either in that spot or else in your pocket. You won't have to hunt it.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 44148
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:41 pm

vonk wrote:
JohnC wrote:
You walk up to a car, touch special area, which makes the car itself to transmit special signal... Your key detects it (it is not constantly transmitting, but it is "listening" to certain signals, which takes less power), transmits the unlock signal to the car, the car opens... If you can emulate your car's transmitter signal - I guess you can make the key to also start transmitting its own signal... But that's probably not as easy as it sounds, especially if, for example, the key's battery is low or is completely dead (the key won't transmit anything without power source... That's why these things usually have a back-up mechanical key).

Thanks JohnC, that makes a lot of sense. And I bet the remote would only respont to the car's special signal.
Another way to find it is to buy a new one.........

So all you need to do is drive the car through your house, then. :D
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson
 
UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Posts: 10171
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 pm

just brew it! wrote:
So all you need to do is drive the car through your house, then. :D
But he can't do that, because he needs the key to drive the car. I suggest passing the house over the car, turning it as necessary to get each of the rooms closest so as to narrow down the search. The actual means of doing this is left as an exercise for the reader.
 
yogibbear
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 868
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:20 am

But then he needs his house keys which are stuck in the car :P
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64
 
wintermane666
Gerbil
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:48 am

Ok what you do is grab all the piles of stuff in your house one at a time and plop em on your car and try and open it. Sooner or later it will open and you will know what pile its in.
 
UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Posts: 10171
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:12 am

wintermane666 wrote:
Ok what you do is grab all the piles of stuff in your house one at a time and plop em on your car and try and open it. Sooner or later it will open and you will know what pile its in.
Ok, now we're headed into Katamari Damacy territory...
 
vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1881
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm
Location: philly suburbs

Re: Find keyless entry remote lost in home

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:03 am

Did a dog eat the remote? I saw that volkswagon commercial with the guy looking for his keys and then he looks at his bulldog.......next thing ya know he is holding the dog up to door to opem it ..then when he gets to vets he holds dog up to car to lock it.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest