Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

grob49
Gerbil
Topic Author

Kbd and Mouse on a Asus Vivotab me400c?

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about buying an Asus VivoTab ME400c Windows 8 Tablet. I'll use it mostly for media consumption, but it might see some light use with word processing and spreadsheets using Open Office or Evernote.

The Vivotab only has a micro USB for "charging and data transfer". I was wondering if I could plug it into a powered USB hub along with a keyboard and mouse. Would it see and use the kbd and mouse?

If anyone has tried this, please let me know how it worked (or failed).

Thanks!

Gerald
grob49 - I only have 10 kinds of friends. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Kbd and Mouse on a Asus Vivotab me400c?

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:06 pm

USB ports generally are not symmetrical (unless they're a strange breed called a "USB On The Go" port). They're either a host port (designed to control peripherals) or a device port (designed to act as a peripheral).

It is not clear to me which flavor of port the Vivotab has.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:44 am

One word: Bluetooth.

Although if you're going to spend that much money on a tablet, you might as well pay the extra $180 for the laptop-style keyboard dock. Then you've got a keyboard, a trackpad, a USB port, and a card reader.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Philldoe
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:03 pm

ludi wrote:
One word: Bluetooth.

Although if you're going to spend that much money on a tablet, you might as well pay the extra $180 for the laptop-style keyboard dock. Then you've got a keyboard, a trackpad, a USB port, and a card reader.

+1

I bought the keyboard dock with my Asus Transformer. Very handy.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:07 pm

I have that tablet and an adapter. Confirmed it works to attach a thumb drive. Assume other peripherals would work as well but will confirm.
TR BBQ XIV is coming soon. Mark your calendars for 7/15/17.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Confirming it works with a Logitech Unifying Receiver. Would assume it works with anything.

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:19 am

Here's a fun one, upon buying two more ME400C's I was able to verify (as I suspected) that my cover was not magnetically installing as intended. I didn't know if the magnets we backwards in the cover or in the tablet but now I know for sure that it is the tablet at fault. I've contacted Asus. To make things more interesting I recently installed one of the much talked about "non-transferable" Office 2013 licenses on my ME400C - wonder if I will be able to re-install it if they elect to send me a new tablet.

Edit: Lol, I'm glad I posted this because it got me thinking - I can fix the problem with the cover because if I rotate it 90 degrees it latches properly - so I just need to take the cover and flip it so the soft inside is facing the screen when the magnet part is in its new position. Its still a problem with my tablet though because technically I need a non-stock cover for it to work properly. Now how to disassemble the cover without damaging it...

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:27 am

Fixed this in case anyone cares...