Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Spike™
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Snakes on a Plane.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:28 am

- I used to have an open mind, but my brain kept falling out...

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:34 am

Dear Lord, is this type of tripe that people really want to see? As if the Anaconda movies weren't bad enough? Has the human race de-evolved that much? I'm ashamed of Hollywood, ashamed of the people who want to see this, and ashamed of myself for watching the entire trailer. Most of all, I'm ashamed of Mace Windu, who being a Jedi Master, damn well ought to know better than to make such a stupid movie.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

tsoulier
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:13 am

Now thats a stupid movie if i ever saw one
Core I7 2600K @ 4.6 | Asrock P67 Extreme 4 | 16 gig Corsair | EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Seasonic X-850 W

Phenom II 940 @ 3.6 | Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP | 2x2 gig G-Skill dr2 800 | 500 W Seasonic | WD 640 HDD | EVGA GTX 570

idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:21 am

ZOMFG I'M GUNNA GO LINE UP NOW!!!111ONELEVENTYONE
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:33 am

I gotta say I'm in amazement over just how bad that movie looks.
Real, real bad. :o

Wow.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:36 am

surely this is a joke.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:47 am

danny e. wrote:
surely this is a joke.

Sadly, it's not.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417148/

Hawkwing74
Silver subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:51 am

Yeah I am angry at Hollywood almost continuously now.

JavaDog
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:56 am

Samuel L. Jackson must be broke, I don't understand what else could posses him to do this movie...

Also, is this really the best name they could come up with?

daveagn
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:08 pm

Supposedly they were going to name it Flight something and then Jackson made them change it to what it is now. :lol:

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:10 pm

JavaDog wrote:
Samuel L. Jackson must be broke, I don't understand what else could posses him to do this movie...

He did Shaft, too, let's not forget that. Oh, and Episode I. :D

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:16 pm

Vrock wrote:
JavaDog wrote:

He's apparently doing Snakes on a Plane because of the title.

house
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:29 pm

Vrock wrote:
JavaDog wrote:

At least those movies had some potential before production, this is just a joke from the start. It's sad to see one of my favorite actors to go downhill like this.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:13 pm

It could be worse

Note that the date says 2007 for the above movie :o
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:59 pm

mattsteg wrote:
He's apparently doing Snakes on a Plane because of the title.

Yeah, I'm sure it's just for fun: certainly Samuel L. Jackson knew it wasn't going to get the Palm d'Or. And, I mean... doesn't anyone else see movies because you know they're going to be spectacularly bad? You're horrified but you can't look away: it's kind of like watching a car wreck or Hannity and Colmes.

Skyline57GTR
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:08 pm

wtf....interesting movie. :o
FX-55|Patriot 1GB DDR400|BFG 7600GT|Rosewill 550W PSU|Biostar nforce4 SLI|Samsung SATA 300GB HDD

steelcity_ballin
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:10 pm

I can't wait to hear L screaming, "A **** snake bit me, bitch!"...

I swear to God, they're not even trying anymore. At all. Just when you thought it was safe to join the mile high club...SNAKES.
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | Asus 1080GTX | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W | Asus ROG Swift Gsync 27"

Spike™
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:01 pm

You should check out the reaction on Shacknews, they got some serious lovin' going on over there about it.
- I used to have an open mind, but my brain kept falling out...

Pettytheft
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:35 pm

I think this movie will be a spoof or a comedy.....

It just has to be.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:01 pm

Pettytheft wrote:
I think this movie will be a spoof or a comedy.....

It just has to be.

The CG alone is a comedy. My GF 6800 can probably produce more realistic-looking snakes. I long for the day when it took talent and ingenuity to make convincing special effects. Fake-looking CG is worse than garbage mattes. Even the really good CG is, nine times out of ten, not as convincing as the real thing or a model would be. Bah.

Materiel
Gerbil

Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:13 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
It could be worse

It might be hard for Tackleberry to come back, seeing as how David Graf is dead.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:33 pm

Materiel wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:
It could be worse

It might be hard for Tackleberry to come back, seeing as how David Graf is dead.

That must be why it says "archive footage" :cry:

Lets all pause a moment and remember Tackleberry
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:25 am

But can you imagine the cheesy, inspired-by-the-japanese, theme tune?

Snakes on a plane,
Snakes on a plane,
Some guy with a grudge, he's a little insane,
Snakes on a plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane!

Don't think I'm going to see this movie, y'know? :lol:
-Mole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

daveagn
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:16 am

I think they should take the badger badger badger song and change it to Jackson, Jackson, Jackson, airplane, airplane, SNAAAAAAKE for the theme song.

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:33 pm

daveagn wrote:
I think they should take the badger badger badger song and change it to Jackson, Jackson, Jackson, airplane, airplane, SNAAAAAAKE for the theme song.

/me imagines Teh Jackson doing the badger squat in time with that :lol:
-Mole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:48 pm

daveagn wrote:

lol great post!

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:24 am

Wow...amazing.
They added lines and changes the movie to give the fans "what they wanted"... Seems to me to be more like a big joke that the studio is taking seriously? :o

Fan frenzy for "Snakes"is on a different plane By Borys Kit
Thu Mar 23, 4:54 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - As film back-stories go, this one is fairly serpentine. The Samuel L. Jackson thriller "Snakes on a Plane," which wrapped last September in Vancouver, went back before the cameras this month for five days of additional shooting in Los Angeles.

In this case, it wasn't the usual reshoot, hastily assembled to fix a nagging story problem. Instead, distributor New Line Cinema decided to create new scenes that would take the movie from PG-13 into R-rated territory.

The second round of filming also came about because of intense and growing fan interest in the movie, which is not scheduled to be released until August 18.

Jackson stars as an FBI agent who has to fight a planeload of snakes unleashed by an assassin bent on killing a witness in protective custody. Sight unseen, the movie has grown from something of a joke into a phenomenon slithering untamed throughout the Internet.

As a movie whose fan base has grown spontaneously and organically, "Snakes" is relatively rare.

Intense fan reaction to movies most often is associated with titles that have established themselves in other media, such as comic book movies or fantasy novels, before making their way to the screen. Or it becomes attached to surprise hits, like the original "Star Wars," that develop massive cult followings once they are released.

But original movies that develop a big prerelease following are uncommon. Artisan Entertainment pulled off that trick in 1999 with its viral Internet campaign for "The Blair Witch Project," but that success has not been easily duplicated.

"Snakes," directed by David R. Ellis from an original script by John Heffernan (with rewrites by four scribes), barely has an official Web site at the moment. But the movie already is the talk of a certain segment of the Net without any real prodding on the part of New Line.

It all started with the provocative and buzzworthy, if also reductive, title. New Line picked up the script after Paramount put it on the backburner in March 2003 -- in the wake of September 11, terror-on-a-plane movies had fallen out of favor. And even within New Line, there were skeptics who viewed "Snakes on a Plane" as nothing but a simple programmer with a "stupid title."

After Jackson came on board, the title was upgraded to the more generic "Pacific Air Flight 121." The studio said it was a temporary moniker being used for "casting purposes." Executives were searching for something that was more thriller-like and less campy. According to sources, Jackson's camp also was in favor of a title change.

"Who wants to be in a movie called 'Snakes on a Plane'?" asked one talent agent at the time, seeming to echo the studio's concerns.

But once production began, a funny thing happened. Movie fans began noticing the black sheep of the New Line slate. They seized upon the title and created fan sites, blogs, T-shirts, poems, fiction and songs. The title itself, sometimes abbreviated as "SoaP," has emerged as Internet-speak for fatalistic sentiments that range from c'est la vie to "s--- happens."

"The title is so clear and so straightforward," said Brian Finkelstein, a Washington, D.C., native who created the blog http://www.Snakesonablog.com and who hopes to score tickets to the movie's premiere. "You know exactly what you're going to get."

Like Harry Potter, whose first suggestion that he's got magic on his hands comes when he discovers he can talk to snakes in their language, New Line got the message. Deciding that so many anonymous fans couldn't be wrong, the studio decided to revert to the movie's original title.

Jackson publicly endorsed the move. "That's the only reason I took the job: I read the title," Jackson told entertainment site http://www.Collider.com. He added, "You either want to see that, or you don't."

New Line executives, concerned that it is too early to discuss the movie, declined comment. But sources now insist the studio never abandoned the "Snakes" title in the first place and that "Pacific Air" was just an internal working title.

In any event, "Snakes"-ophiles already were hard at work. Chris Rohan of Bethesda, Md., created an elaborate, R-rated audio trailer that lovingly mocks the title and movie. "It's a genius title," Rohan said. "It's so stupid it's great. It invites satire, but it's something you just love. It's something I can't explain. You either get it or you don't."

The audio bit uses a Jackson sound-alike shouting, "I want these **** snakes off the **** plane!" Soon, the growing legion of fans added their voices as they demanded that that phrase also appear in the movie. Apparently, the studio got the hint. When Ellis assembled Jackson and others for the recent shoot, the filmmakers added more gore, more death, more nudity, more snakes and more death scenes. And they shot a scene where Jackson does utter the line that fans have demanded.

Those involved with the film said the reshoots weren't prompted by fans but rather by the existing footage that already was a hairline into R territory. Within the studio, the thinking was, "We're already going to get an R, why not go all the way?" But the filmmakers do concede that the Jackson line will be in the movie for the sake of the fans.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:05 am

And with the release of the movie, "Snakes on a Plane", so closes the final chapter of the book called "Western Civilization". :lol:

gibson
Gerbil First Class

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:06 am

I suppose Samuel Jackson on a plane is better than Ice Cube in the Amazon?
"Not the wind, not the flag; mind is moving."

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:12 pm

gibson wrote:
I suppose Samuel Jackson on a plane is better than Ice Cube in the Amazon?

Oh yeah, I had nearly forgotten about those movies. The sad part is that enough people went to see the first one that they made a **** sequel. :evil: