Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Kevin

 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 44254
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:21 am

sroylance wrote:
well, in my own defense I may have been editing a live file, but I never saved it in an inconsistent state. I didn't break it any worse than it was broken anway :oops:

Yup, it was actually kind of fun to watch things evolve in real-time. "Hmm... what's it going to look like now? :lol:
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson
 
morphine
Silver subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11119
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Portugal (that's next to Spain)

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:39 am

There are two things still wonky with subSilver, the post text spacing (when viewing threads) and a shrill-white background on the posting edit boxes.

The second I can easily live with, the former makes posts harder to read :(

Other than that, it's a full thumbs up!
 
SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 12261
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:47 am
Location: a regular hole

Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:45 pm

Links really need to be underlined by default. They're really hard to spot and could pose some moderating problems later.
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 16847
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:00 pm

I am using the SubSky style and I also miss the contrast for hyperlinks. If we can't get underlines, can we at least get them to appear in a contrasting color?
 
Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8316
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In a lab playing with blood
Contact:

Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:07 pm

I've been using both subsky and subsilver all day and I see nothing wrong with either of them. *shrug*
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran
 
sroylance
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:16 pm

We've updated the styles, link underlines and text spacing should be fixed.
 
Kevin
Administrator
Posts: 6581
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:20 pm

If you don't see the changes right away, be sure to do a "shift-refresh" on a forum page so that you load the latest CSS file.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 22534
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:26 pm

This probably explains why I've had to log in today. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
 
LicketySplit
Gerbil God
Posts: 24502
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Soap Lake, Wa
Contact:

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:29 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
This probably explains why I've had to log in today. :lol:


Yeah...same here...FF and IE both..and i thought "GREAT...JUST GREAT" here we go again :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.
 
morphine
Silver subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11119
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Portugal (that's next to Spain)

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:32 pm

I assume that some anti-spam armoring was added?
 
king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4300
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:23 pm
Location: Browsing the web far and wide.
Contact:

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:38 pm

Hopefully, IMO its just a matter of limitng the maximum number of "lines" in a post.
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS
 
morphine
Silver subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11119
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Portugal (that's next to Spain)

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:41 pm

Hmmm that wouldn't be enough I think. A "CAPTCHA" test needs to be added on registration. That alone would stop 99% of it.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 44254
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:44 pm

morphine wrote:
Hmmm that wouldn't be enough I think. A "CAPTCHA" test needs to be added on registration. That alone would stop 99% of it.

Didn't we already have that before the upgrade?
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson
 
king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4300
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:23 pm
Location: Browsing the web far and wide.
Contact:

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:46 pm

I thought we did as well.
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.



AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS
 
morphine
Silver subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11119
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Portugal (that's next to Spain)

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:33 pm

:oops: Sorry, probably missed it, haven't been on the register page much :oops:
 
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7489
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:18 pm

text spacing in posts appears to be back to normal, but the background for text boxes on the Post Reply page is still that eerie, lifeless white. In fact, there are a few aspects of the subSilver theme that are using lighter whiteish colors, it seems. I can deal with the white, though it will take some getting used to. Why the change, anyway?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
 
Hance
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7757
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:58 pm
Location: Grace Idaho
Contact:

Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:56 pm

My name is showing up in green in the forum index and white in the fourms themselves :-?
 
LicketySplit
Gerbil God
Posts: 24502
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Soap Lake, Wa
Contact:

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:29 pm

Well...just about everytime i visit the site now i have to re-log in. Both browsers effected. FF and IE.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 21401
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:32 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Interesting... if you visit the "View posts since last visit" page twice within 30 seconds or so, you get:
You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.

I imagine it is a defensive measure against DOS attacks which try to overload the database backend by issuing many search requests in rapid succession...

That feature is getting annoying really fast. *sigh* For those of us that sit on TR for somewhat lengthy periods of time, the newposts 'search' is the best way to see new posts, but when you can't easily scroll through said new posts, then how is one to navigate?
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 44254
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:58 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Interesting... if you visit the "View posts since last visit" page twice within 30 seconds or so, you get:
You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.

I imagine it is a defensive measure against DOS attacks which try to overload the database backend by issuing many search requests in rapid succession...

That feature is getting annoying really fast. *sigh* For those of us that sit on TR for somewhat lengthy periods of time, the newposts 'search' is the best way to see new posts, but when you can't easily scroll through said new posts, then how is one to navigate?

Ehh...?

Not sure what you mean by "can't easily scroll through said new posts". What exactly is it that you're trying to do which is running afoul of the search timeout?

I only hit it once or twice by accident; it hasn't been affecting my normal browsing of the forums to any real extent.
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 21401
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:13 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Ehh...?

Not sure what you mean by "can't easily scroll through said new posts". What exactly is it that you're trying to do which is running afoul of the search timeout?

I only hit it once or twice by accident; it hasn't been affecting my normal browsing of the forums to any real extent.

Well when I'm sitting here at work, I have the 'TR forums' link on my toolbar point to the newposts page. So I follow that, read a particular thread, then click on the link to get back to the list of threads. My reading rarely takes 30 seconds unless it's the first time I've looked in a particular session or I'm replying. Especially after I've read all the interesting threads and so keep checking the newposts to read the comments people have left since I last read it. Reading a new comment only takes a few seconds, but then I have to wait another 27 to go back to the newposts page, thus delaying my ability to go to a different thread.

I guess I'll just have to change my approach and open all links as tabs so that I don't have to go back to the newposts page as often. *sigh*
 
Kevin
Administrator
Posts: 6581
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:27 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I guess I'll just have to change my approach and open all links as tabs so that I don't have to go back to the newposts page as often. *sigh*

That's what I do.

Just think, now you'll be reducing the load on the server. :D
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 21401
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:28 pm

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I guess I'll just have to change my approach and open all links as tabs so that I don't have to go back to the newposts page as often. *sigh*

That's what I do.

Just think, now you'll be reducing the load on the server. :D

Actually, I'll be opening more pages in a given time frame, so that's actually more load on the server. Rather than loading/viewing pages serially, it'll be done in parallel. :wink:
Plus, I hit the 'reload' button repeatedly until it actually reloads. :lol:
Last edited by Usacomp2k3 on Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
fishmahn
Gerbil XP
Posts: 401
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Near Chicago, IL, USA

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:29 pm

I use the back button... :-?

Mike.
Someone on some other forum wrote:
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing.
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 21401
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:33 pm

fishmahn wrote:
I use the back button... :-?

Mike.

For some reason, my Firefox sometimes reloads when I go back. To keep the data fresh, I'm assuming.
 
fishmahn
Gerbil XP
Posts: 401
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Near Chicago, IL, USA

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:40 pm

I notice IE reloads on a 'back' whenever I've opened a new window/tab in the meantime. May do it other times, but I haven't noticed.

Mike.
Someone on some other forum wrote:
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing.
 
bhtooefr
Silver subscriber
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8133
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:20 am
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:42 pm

I believe you can adjust that in about:config.

Opera has extremely agressive caching, so I haven't noticed that, but I have noticed it on other forums that institute a search timeout, when using IE (as in, only browser on the machine, and don't have time to download Opera).
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 44254
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:53 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I guess I'll just have to change my approach and open all links as tabs so that I don't have to go back to the newposts page as often. *sigh*

That's what I do.

Just think, now you'll be reducing the load on the server. :D

Actually, I'll be opening more pages in a given time frame, so that's actually more load on the server.

It's still less total load on the server, averaged over time.
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 21401
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I guess I'll just have to change my approach and open all links as tabs so that I don't have to go back to the newposts page as often. *sigh*

That's what I do.

Just think, now you'll be reducing the load on the server. :D

Actually, I'll be opening more pages in a given time frame, so that's actually more load on the server.

It's still less total load on the server, averaged over time.

But wouldn't the whole point of a DDoS prevention be to reduce instantaneous load, not total?
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 44254
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:39 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Actually, I'll be opening more pages in a given time frame, so that's actually more load on the server.

It's still less total load on the server, averaged over time.

But wouldn't the whole point of a DDoS prevention be to reduce instantaneous load, not total?

Even if you run down the list and open a dozen links in rapid succession, you're still limited by how fast you can move and click the mouse, and your overall impact on the (instantaneous) system load is "lost in the noise". Furthermore, the instantaneous load created by the retrieval of a single post is probably an order of magnitude (or more) less than the load created by refreshing the "posts since last visit" window. So by doing things the "new way", you're creating significantly less load on the server.

DDOS prevention is all about blocking malware from executing expensive operations frequently. This feature does exactly that.
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests