9. Install the SMP folding client by typing the following: mkdir -p ~/folding/FAH cd ~/folding/FAH wget http://folding.stanford.edu/release/FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz tar xzf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz
10. Configure it. Note that this client works fairly similar to the console client. cd ~/folding ./fah5 -configonly
This is similar to the standard console configuration (the team is 2630) http://www.techreport.com/etc/folding/
. However answer yes for "Allow receipt of work assignments greater than 5MB in size" and don't accept WU without deadlines (in advanced setting). Suggest to accept advanced work units. And if run into timing problems with an AMD cpu, can set ignore deadline information.
11. Run it by typing cd ~/folding ./fah5 -forceasm -verbosity 9
(and any other parameters desired)
It should download the SMP Gromacs core and then a work unit (WU).
Note to stop it, just hit Ctrl-C. It will take up to a minute before all 4 threads are shut down, so don't restart the client before then!
12. To create an easy script to start this, type the following cd ~ nano startfah
This opens a simple edit program. Type the following and then press Ctrl-X and then Y to save it. cd ~/folding ./fah5 -forceasm -verbosity 9
Finally type chmod +x startfah
Now when open the terminal, just type ./startfah
and it will start SMP folding with the usual parameters.
Note if want different parameters (e.g. for -oneunit or reconfigure the client), then the original method applies (see step 11).
A few things I noticed, and am not sure whether they've always been this way:
10. Seems like it should say cd ~/folding/FAH
, and in 11. and 12. where appropriate.
12. After the script text you should probably say "and save the script by pressing CTRL-X and then answering Y to the editor's prompt" or some such, and then say "Finally, at the command prompt type chmod +x startfah
I also think the extra FAH directory is unnecessary, but it's not a big enough deal to care about... That idea originally comes from the SMP FAQ
at Stanford, and it's probably best to leave it simple by following their lead.
I'd prefer if this post could be deleted afterward, and if you make the corrections (If I'm right about them) and I notice before anyone posts after me, I can still delete it. Otherwise this thread will get filled up with useless stuff until a moderator can delete posts, if they're so inclined.