Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

SW: TOR

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:53 am

Ok so I cannot wait for this MMO. If the trailer is any indication of how good the game is, its gonna be awesome!
So umm yeah I will roll a Sith.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Da_Boss
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: SW: TOR

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:39 am

Yeah I saw the trailer too. VERY nice!

I wonder if the Jedi will end up being a class? I doubt it since there are so many balance issues that come into play then. The way I see it, everyone would wanna roll one.

Here's hoping we actually see the Star Wars license get used well...
2011 15" MacBook Pro Ci7 2GHz, 8GB DDR3-1066, Intel 510 256GB SSD

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:41 am

Looks interesting, then again so have several other MMOs that I've dropped money on. Hopefully I can hold off from running out and buying this right away and see how it fleshes out in the first couple of months. Probably not but I can pretend that I don't like to blow money on games. Plus I've loved several Bioware games in the past. :P

Depending on how many slots we get I'd probably make a trooper first and name him Minion42. :lol:

Any idea on when this is to be released? Rumors on the other classes? I expect two of them to be Jedi/Sith but that leaves 4 more classes.
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:49 am

This will make me leave WoW.

From the looks of the website theres going to be 8 classes in all 4 for the Sith and 4 for the Republic, and I guess and all encompassing Jedi (they really havent announced the Jedi as a class)

No word on gameplay either.....dont know if its 100% PvP, instance based PvE, or real time based PvE.

All I know is it looks good. I havent been this excited about an MMO since they announced WoW.

I will do it up this time and play the "Bad Guy"...... :wink:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Any word on monthly cost?
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:57 pm

Da_Boss wrote:
I wonder if the Jedi will end up being a class? I doubt it since there are so many balance issues that come into play then. The way I see it, everyone would wanna roll one.

It has always been my understanding that Jedi and Sith will be playable classes.
All civilizations become either spacefaring or extinct - Carl Sagan

lethal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm

The trailer was freaking awesome :D. As for the game itself, I'm not sure how could anyone manage the jedi thing. Granted, jedis were much more common in the old republic era, but making jedis or sith a somewhat rare encounter would help a lot with the sense of immersion. Then again, most people would be put off because they cant be a jedi. If jedis are everywhere (since I'm guessing most people would go for them rather than the other classes) from the beginning, when you go attaking creeps with a lightsaber and a rat then beating the crap out of you, it will probably be pretty underwhelming. It will be just like any other MMO but with shinier swords. I guess Bioware has the advantage of watching SWG crash and burn to learn from them, but I'll need to play it first to see how it works. So any beta timeframes for that :lol: ?

edit: spelling
Last edited by lethal on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Internet wrote:
"[The] 360 starts at the factory, moves to retail shelves, into consumer's homes, back to Microsoft. So THAT'S why Microsoft called it the 360...It all comes full-circle ;)"

khands
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:04 pm

I really think the best way to do it is making it an unlockable class, and make it well known that that's the way it will be from the get go. You'll at least initially limit the number of Jedi around. Also, you could do things like an arena or whatever that specifically prohibit Jedi (of course, also making one that allows them, but you know what I mean). They have the coolness factor up the ying-yang, so it's up to the developers to neuter it enough (in ways that won't make the class feel underpowered) so that not everyone wants to play one all the time.
X __________________________

thrtysvn
Gerbil

Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm very excited about this game. Hopefully, they get all the bells and whistles working right out of the box so they don't get any bad press. By all means, take your time releasing this...no need to rush and release a faulty product.

Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:11 pm

khands wrote:
I really think the best way to do it is making it an unlockable class

That would be almost the most disastrous way to go.

Bioware was smart to use the KOTOR time frame, during this period (4,000 years before the events of Episode 4) there are thousands of Jedi and Sith running around.

Limiting the Jedi/Sith classes would invite a whole lot of SWG comparisons and simply piss people off.

No this game is all about the Jedi and Sith classes and the PVP that will ensue in that kind of environment.

I imagine that this game will experience the same kind of disparity that World of Warcraft does between the Alliance and the Horde. (Alliance outnumbering Horde by fairly large numbers) But WOW shows that is can be managed.

khands
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:16 pm

I know that's the way SWG handled it, but I'm considering it more of an inevitability rather than a possibility. Of course, you could make it available from the get go and have some other major neuter. At this point though they might as well make a Jedi's Online and call it a day.

Fastfreak39
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Bioware has said that this game will have Jedi and Sith classes from the start. They've also said that this is a game of heroes so I'm sure every class will be quite epic. I doubt they will have a problem keeping it balanced and making the other classes desirable.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:03 pm

I would try it out. I hope they cater to the casual element instead of bleeding-edge raiders. WoW has systematically enabled casuals more and more with each expansion or patch, but it used to be worse for casuals like me.

Not everyone is a college student that can play 50 hours a week.

I am also sick of being in the faction that's outnumbered. Light side all the way for me.

Obsidian
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:50 pm

I've been drooling over this game for the last couple years and will definitely be picking it up as soon as it comes out. There shouldn't be any big balance issues because when you choose to be a republic soldier, smuggler, or other "lesser" classes you're one of the elite soldiers or smugglers, not just some ordinary dude. I think it's worth mentioning that TOR is completely voiced and won't have any of the boring walls of text for quests which most people just skip. My main character will probably be a Sith turned Jedi (yes, you can do that) but I really want to try out the bounty hunter class.

Even though 2009 is a bit of a slump, I think 2010 will be a very good year for gaming with titles like SW: TOR, MGS: Rising, FFXIII, and Halo Reach.
Last edited by Obsidian on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel [email protected] w/ Xigmatek HDT-S1283|Sapphire HD 4850 512MB|G.Skill Pi Black 4GB DDR2 800|Gigabyte EP45-DS3L|WD SE16 640GB|Antec Neo Power 500|Antec Nine Hundred|Dell S2209W|Logitech G9|Sidewinder X6|Razer Exactmat|Klipsch ProMedia 2.1|Windows 7 64

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:34 pm

Hoser wrote:

It's the monthly fee that has kept me away from MMO games. The KotOR games are probably my favorite games of all time, but I really doubt that I'll get TOR. Paying $50 for the game then $10 to $15 a month adds up to a lot more than I'd like to spend on a game.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:42 am

Obsidian wrote:
I think it's worth mentioning that TOR is completely voiced and won't have any of the boring walls of text for quests which most people just skip.

Do you have a confirmation link to that. I have been a member of their forums since day one And I never seen a comment like this made.

Besides what happens if you are interrupted during wall-o-speech?

Hoser wrote:

Well at first announcement/release they stated the game would be done in micro-transaction fashion. However after several threads on their forums (this year) they have said that they will be reviewing the "subscription" base model. The reasons are more for an "even keel" amongst players.

Microtransactions bring a whole slew of issues when it comes to PvP, game balancing, etc. Think of it this way, you pay 49.99 for the game and then another 50 bucks for things like equipment for your "toon". Oh that blaster you got from a quest or a drop isnt that good. But for 1.99 RMT you can BUY the top of the line blaster from the "market"

Honestly if it does go the microtransaction route I am out. I dont want to have to deal with that. jeez I can see my wife looking at the CC statement now........36 transactions all to SW:Tor - Blaster 44/44 1.99
SW:Tor - Lightsaber (red) 1ea 4.99
SW:Tor - Jedi Cloak w/ hood 1ea 9.99
etc
etc
etc
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Obsidian
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:03 am

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-star-wars/50075
Bioware and Lucas Arts just announced it at E3 on the first. They mention it two minutes into the video. I'm sure you can skip most of the non-key dialogue if you don't want to listen to it and just get your quest objectives.

I'm 99% sure that TOR will have a monthly fee of around $10-15. I highly, highly doubt that they would even seriously consider fully micro-transaction based and I don't expect it to be free after the initial buy either.
Intel [email protected] w/ Xigmatek HDT-S1283|Sapphire HD 4850 512MB|G.Skill Pi Black 4GB DDR2 800|Gigabyte EP45-DS3L|WD SE16 640GB|Antec Neo Power 500|Antec Nine Hundred|Dell S2209W|Logitech G9|Sidewinder X6|Razer Exactmat|Klipsch ProMedia 2.1|Windows 7 64

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:53 am

I'd be all over it if it were micro transaction based. That way people can choose how much they want to pay. I'm more interested in interacting with the Old Republic galaxy than doing PVP.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:15 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
I'd be all over it if it were micro transaction based. That way people can choose how much they want to pay. I'm more interested in interacting with the Old Republic galaxy than doing PVP.

Hmm, but would it even be playable if you don't do any micro transactions? I don't think Bioware would be that stupid. 15+ dollars a month, guaranteed, or gambling on the player base doing lots of transactions? I know I'd want to charge everyone $15.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:37 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Hmm, but would it even be playable if you don't do any micro transactions? I don't think Bioware would be that stupid. 15+ dollars a month, guaranteed, or gambling on the player base doing lots of transactions? I know I'd want to charge everyone $15.

Micro transactions will work out on a popular game if the developers put the "right" items available for purchase. Those "right" items are the ones that ruin the game for those who are not willing to spend a lot of money though. Look at WoW (or any massively popular MMO); there are tons of players who will openly spend hundreds of dollars on in game gold, items, and instance runs. Put a flat rate and make people at least go through EULA breaking means to put themselves ahead with their dollar instead of openly favoring those who spend more money.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:07 am

Skrying wrote:
Those "right" items are the ones that ruin the game for those who are not willing to spend a lot of money though.

Exactly and you will always be chasing the New hot item that came out in a patch cycle with real money. The only way that I can see microtransactions working in a MMO is if they only did it for items that had no real impact on the player base. e.g. A picture to hang in your player housing or an "about town cloak" with no stats. But this would also have to be on top of a subscription.

I dont care how you slice the pie Subscription = longevity = developers get paid.

(Besides I have reevaluated my "entertainment".... dropped cable/sat, get local channels OTA in HD, Hulu rocks, etc. Just by doing that alone has paid for my WoW sub 4 times over in a year.)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:20 am

Putting subcription based MMO's into perspective for myself.

It costs me more to go to a movie with snacks than it does to play WOW for a month and a movie it only 2 hours of entertainment.

I dont mind paying subscriptions and for this game, I am MORE than willing if the game turns out to be half as good as the trailer looks.

khands
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:02 pm

I was thinking, especially with the altitis going on a lot lately, what if they did a charge per character? Like your first one/two/five was free but they charged you $5, $10, $XX dollars to add another character to that account? A lot of the micro-transaction models in current use are either game changers or useless. A more meta-game enabling micro-transaction model, while not fundamentally altering the game economy, might make a lot of sense.

lethal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:54 pm

The Internet wrote:
"[The] 360 starts at the factory, moves to retail shelves, into consumer's homes, back to Microsoft. So THAT'S why Microsoft called it the 360...It all comes full-circle ;)"

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:12 am

Eagerly waiting for a release date to be announced...

Fastfreak39
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:23 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Eagerly waiting for a release date to be announced...

I think we'll have to wait at least another year, probably more. :cry: Bioware hates announcing release dates. :-?

Obsidian
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:08 am

Should be sometime next year. Other than that, nobody knows.

Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:28 pm

This will be one of those games where I pre-order whatever over priced "Unique in-game item" version that they offer.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:47 pm

Scorpiuscat wrote:
This will be one of those games where I pre-order whatever over priced "Unique in-game item" version that they offer.

Lol, does anybody really purchase those. I've never even considered them.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:56 pm

Seems like a way to say thank you to the developers, assuming you have the money to spend.