Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

brain frog
Gerbil
Topic Author

what kind of linux/unix do you use

Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:10 am

i want to get into the world of linux but there are so many variation i am unsure what to choose

what kind of linux do you use or recommend trying?

also what kind would be best for an older machine with about 1gb of ram and 3400 amd64 cpu and for a machine with 64mb of ram with amd 500mhz?

thanks

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: what kind of linux/unix do you use

Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:23 am

I want to get into this too; I downloaded the latest 64bit versions of Ubuntu and Fedora, and tried installing Ubuntu, and failed. Ubuntu decided to install it's bootloader on my 'first' drive, which has my Windows 7 install on it, which had the only effect of me having to wipe and reinstall Windows 7, do to a GRUB error, and the drive I installed it on showed no operating system.

For this reason I'm a little perturbed with Linux right now, but I've used it in the past; the difficulty arises from trying to install it on a system that already has two other operating systems on separate drives, with four drives total.

Beyond that frustration, I'd like to try my hand at using Linux for daily recreational computing, such as browsing, instant messaging, watching TV shows, and listening to music. I'd also like to explore OpenOffice and it's compatibility and applicability toward working with Access databases, as I'm starting an Access based database management course tomorrow!

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:17 am

I have used Ubuntu and Mint, and loved them both.

Airmantharp: Try Wubi. It installs within one of the other OSes, and uses the native bootloader instead of grub. That's what I'm using right now.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:34 am

Ubuntu or Fedora are probably the best distros to cut your teeth on (personally I use Ubuntu).

The easiest way to get started with ubuntu is the "try without changing your computer" option on the install CD. This lets you play around without the risk of damaging anything (so long as you don't touch your hard drives!!!), if this doesn't work on your hardware then think twice before going any further!

The next step is either a virtual machine or wubi.

Wubi installs ubuntu "inside" windows... you get a listing in programs and features, it uses the windows boot loader so there's less chance of mucking things up there and all the linux files are stored on your windows filing system so you don't have to partition the drive... this is a bit slower than a normal installation!

Airmantharp wrote:
I want to get into this too; I downloaded the latest 64bit versions of Ubuntu and Fedora, and tried installing Ubuntu, and failed. Ubuntu decided to install it's bootloader on my 'first' drive, which has my Windows 7 install on it, which had the only effect of me having to wipe and reinstall Windows 7, do to a GRUB error, and the drive I installed it on showed no operating system.

For this reason I'm a little perturbed with Linux right now, but I've used it in the past; the difficulty arises from trying to install it on a system that already has two other operating systems on separate drives, with four drives total.

Yep, the bootloader always has to go on the drive your system boots from... couldn't work any other way I'm afraid! Normally having windows on a machine isn't anything to worry about, grub detects the other OSs and adds entries for them automatically. However what with W7 not being released yet there may be some kind of incompatibility, I haven't tried it myself yet... this is the price you pay for life on the bleeding edge!

brain frog wrote:
also what kind would be best for an older machine with about 1gb of ram and 3400 amd64 cpu and for a machine with 64mb of ram with amd 500mhz?

For the amd64 I'd go with 32bit ubuntu 9.04 (64bit gains you nothing but headaches trying to install java, though 64bit flash is now available)

For the older machine... well it would be OK as a server... but you really need a bit more RAM. For desktops you need 256->384 MB for server 64MB is the minimum. NB the ubuntu server version doesn't come with a desktop installed, everything is done from the command line. There are distros intended for old hardware like this but I've never used any.

Quick note on hardware... most hardware gets installed automatically without any problems. Most problems seem to come from things like:
Graphics cards (that aren't intel/ati/nvidia)
wireless network cards (though this has improved a lot recently)
scanners
cheap home printers (though most laser printers are supported without you having to do a thing!)
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

brain frog
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:47 am

thanks for the replys

in the past i have attempted some kinds but been put off but lack of compatibility and problematic install process

i still need to find out how to dual boot it with xp

i have begun loading mint and will download Ubuntu and Fedora once its done

during a computer class i bought a few cheap hard drives from other students to help with with getting the hang of some aspects of what i was learning and to do things like this so i dont need to worry about loosing whats currently on my system

cheesyking

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:02 am

Dual boot with XP should just work... I've never seen it fail. You just need to install XP first then install ubuntu. Or you can use the Wubi option which doesn't use GRUB.

The safest way to muck around with *nix without 2 PCs is a virtual machine. Though you could also get some drive cages and simply remove your windows drive from the machine when you want to play with linux.

EDIT:
BTW Mint is basically just Ubuntu with a few additional bugfixes and artwork changes... Personally I'd stick with plain Ubuntu to get started as there's more support available.
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!

brain frog
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:17 am

i am amazed i havent already asked this but what are the differences between Ubuntu and Fedora?

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:20 am

Ubuntu is a good distro.

Ubuntu is a terrible way to "cut your teeth" on Linux. There isn't much of a learning curve to it, and most of the stuff it does happens behind the scenes. Not much unlike another popular OS.

To really "cut your teeth" on Linux, you need to experience the command line, figure out which applications actually do what, and how things work the way they do.

And, Grub doesn't actually detect other OSes on the system and add entries automatically. There is another application that does that. It's probably only included on the Ubuntu install disc. (Much like the autodetection of LiveCDs only run on a LiveCD and not on an installed system.)
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:51 am

I should clarify how I'm setting up hard drives. I have two old Seagates that I'm using for secondary OS's, such as Linux and Windows 7, a 1TB WD Green that is used solely for storage, and a 1TB Black that has my Vista 64 install on one partition and a second parition for storage. One of the two Seagates already has a working RTM Windows 7 install that I would like to keep; I am currently migrating to it, and will probably acquire a license for it and migrate it to the Black when I'm ready, as my primary operating system.

Now, the installed order of the drives does not match how I use them, I use the BIOS boot priority to put my Black first, even though the two seagates are listed before it during discovery. The Black has a MS Bootloader on it for the Vista install it contains, and the Windows 7 install which is on the first Seagate, the first drive listed. The bootloader was unintentional, as I forgot to disable all drives except for the Seagate that I was installing Windows 7 on, so it decided on it's own and without warning to install a bootloader on my Vista drive (thanks, really). Supposing I can boot from the Windows 7 drive directly, I've meant to test this but haven't, I may disable the bootloader; but given that I'll have no need for the Vista install if the Windows 7 install keeps working as well as it does, I may just re-arrange the boot priority and go straight to 7.

My issue is getting Linux to work with this setup, basically, without touching anything else. It can have it's own hard drive, and that's where I want it's bootloader if it needs one; I just don't want it messing with the other drives at all. My Gigabyte board has the 'Press F12' option to select which source to boot from, and to get to Linux, or to Vista if I change the priority, I simply load up this menu and select the drive that it is installed on. This is how I'd like to continue to work, as it allows me the option of completely nuking or removing one operating system's drive without having any effect on the others.

cheesyking

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:54 am

titan wrote:
Ubuntu is a good distro.

Ubuntu is a terrible way to "cut your teeth" on Linux. There isn't much of a learning curve to it, and most of the stuff it does happens behind the scenes. Not much unlike another popular OS.

To really "cut your teeth" on Linux, you need to experience the command line, figure out which applications actually do what, and how things work the way they do.

Well I think it depends what the person is trying to achieve... I mean you could start off with something like Gentoo (this is what I did) but it's very scary for a windows user. Not a problem if you want to get into the nuts and bolts of how the OS works but not very good for an average user. All distros tend to hide quite a bit whether that's behind a fancy GUI or a text based system like apt-get or emerge. It is possible to be a linux user without touching the command line.
Airmantharp wrote:
browsing, instant messaging, watching TV shows, and listening to music. I'd also like to explore OpenOffice

These are all things that don't requite the use of the command line.

titan wrote:
And, Grub doesn't actually detect other OSes on the system and add entries automatically. There is another application that does that. It's probably only included on the Ubuntu install disc. (Much like the autodetection of LiveCDs only run on a LiveCD and not on an installed system.)

fair cop gov, I should have said "gets detected during the grub installation" :oops: Looks like os-prober does the actual detection.
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!

cheesyking

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:59 am

Airmantharp wrote:
My issue is getting Linux to work with this setup, basically, without touching anything else. It can have it's own hard drive, and that's where I want it's bootloader if it needs one; I just don't want it messing with the other drives at all. My Gigabyte board has the 'Press F12' option to select which source to boot from, and to get to Linux, or to Vista if I change the priority, I simply load up this menu and select the drive that it is installed on. This is how I'd like to continue to work, as it allows me the option of completely nuking or removing one operating system's drive without having any effect on the others.

Just install it with wubi or in a virtual machine and forget about the boot loader. I seem to remember that there are some advanced options at the end of the ubuntu install process that allow you to choose where the bootloader ends up but why bother when there are easier ways of achieving your goal?

EDIT: I think the only way you can keep them completely separate with no risk of accidentally damaging one OS while messing with another is to remove the other OSs' drives from the system, preferably make the drive mutually exclusive. Any other method carries a risk that you'll forget to change something and accidentally damage the other installations.
Last edited by cheesyking on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:04 am

brain frog wrote:
i am amazed i havent already asked this but what are the differences between Ubuntu and Fedora?

Ubuntu is marketed by and for the most part developed by Canonical. It's goal is to be user-friendly, so many things are hidden under the hood, there's a huge support community, and it's primarily geared to be a desktop OS.

Fedora is developed primarily by Red Hat, and while it too is free, Red Hat is best known for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which isn't. It's an extremely advanced server operating system for giant corporations' needs. Therefore, many of the things in Fedora come from things in RHEL or CentOS (which is similar but free). Fedora is less "user-friendly" or easy to switch to, but it also forces you to learn more about Linux to use it.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

cheesyking

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:33 am

grantmeaname wrote:
brain frog wrote:

Ubuntu is marketed by and for the most part developed by Canonical. It's goal is to be user-friendly, so many things are hidden under the hood, there's a huge support community, and it's primarily geared to be a desktop OS.

Fedora is developed primarily by Red Hat, and while it too is free, Red Hat is best known for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which isn't. It's an extremely advanced server operating system for giant corporations' needs. Therefore, many of the things in Fedora come from things in RHEL or CentOS (which is similar but free). Fedora is less "user-friendly" or easy to switch to, but it also forces you to learn more about Linux to use it.

I'd say the biggest single difference are their respective package management systems... .rpm Vs .deb

I'm not really the right person to talk about the historical difference between these systems but since they now both have nice GUI front ends for the end user that work in very similar ways there isn't much to choose between them any more.

Package management is something most windows users haven't encountered before... instead of installing a bit of software by clicking on "setup.exe" that came on a CD or web download you use a tool built into the OS to download and install your software for you. Want to install Thunderbird? just open the "Add/Remove" app in the Applications menu or "Synaptic" in the System menu, search for what you want and click apply, download and installation are automatic (though complex bits of software often need configuring before they can be used)

The fun starts when a bit of software or a specific version of the software you want isn't available through this system :wink:

On the plus side this system also handles your software updates... a bit like microsoft update except it handles all the software on your system not just one or two bits. So you don't have 10 different update programs running each time you log into your desktop telling you to update acrobat/flash/java/ etc.

Under the hood it's doing an awful lot more than just downloading and installing but that's a more advanced topic
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:33 am

cheesyking wrote:
Just install it with wubi or in a virtual machine and forget about the boot loader. I seem to remember that there are some advanced options at the end of the ubuntu install process that allow you to choose where the bootloader ends up but why bother when there are easier ways of achieving your goal?

EDIT: I think the only way you can keep them completely separate with no risk of accidentally damaging one OS while messing with another is to remove the other OSs' drives from the system, preferably make the drive mutually exclusive. Any other method carries a risk that you'll forget to change something and accidentally damage the other installations.

You are correct; my avoidance of this solution has to do with where my computer is placed, and the completely out of order arrangement of the SATA ports on the board. It would be a headache to isolate the drive physically, and a headache to put everything back in the right order, but it would also be the best thing to do. To keep from doing this, I've simply been disabling the other drives ports in the BIOS. This doesn't keep them from being seen, but it does tend to isolate the one enabled drive and has worked with Windows 7 several times before. If I'm unable to be certain as to where the bootloader is going, as I was certain at the time that it was going to the drive that Ubuntu was being installed on when I dug through the settings, then I'll have to dig that heavy case out again! Also, based on your comments above, I think if I have to install one OS it will be Fedora, as I'm trying to start a communications career.

Thank you for the info cheesyking!

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:45 am

brain frog wrote:
i want to get into the world of linux but there are so many variation i am unsure what to choose

what kind of linux do you use or recommend trying?

I recommend Ubuntu for Linux newbies. It is generally the most foolproof of the major distros, and things usually "just work" out of the box. They also track new features of the Linux kernel and desktop reasonably well, without being too bleeding-edge (most of the time).

If you're more adventurous (and willing to spend more up-front effort to climb the learning curve), Fedora is also a reasonable choice. Fedora tends to be the most "bleeding edge" of the major distros -- new features appear in Fedora pretty early, but the new features can be somewhat half-baked. Fedora is essentially a perpetual beta for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and it shows. (Fedora is supposedly the distro that Linus Torvalds, the inventor of the Linux kernel, runs on his own desktop.)

If you'd like to go "bare metal" and jump straight into the deep end, there's Debian. The Debian folks are much more conservative than most of the other distros regarding what they include in the official "stable" release, so they tend to lag quite a bit feature-wise, but also tend to have the fewest bugs. It is probably the least newbie-friendly of the major distros; expect to be using the command line a lot from the get-go.

Ubuntu is what I use currently. (I used Fedora until about a year ago.)

The Athlon64 system should be able to handle pretty much any current distro with ease. The 500 MHz 64 MB system is another story; you're not going to get a normal desktop distro to run decently on that. Your best bet for the 64 MB machine is probably Damn Small Linux.

Airmantharp wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I've dual-booted a few Windows/Linux systems, and while I agree that the partitioning part of the Ubuntu installer is rather non-intuitive, I've never had it destroy the Windows install. The worst I've had happen when I screwed up the partitioning was a hosed Linux install (with the Windows system remaining fully functional).

Beyond that frustration, I'd like to try my hand at using Linux for daily recreational computing, such as browsing, instant messaging, watching TV shows, and listening to music. I'd also like to explore OpenOffice and it's compatibility and applicability toward working with Access databases, as I'm starting an Access based database management course tomorrow!

I can speak from my own experience in many of the above areas:

- Firefox gives essentially the same user experience in Linux as it does in Windows. If you visit sites which use IE-specific features, you may have issues (just as you would using Firefox on Windows).

- I don't IM, so I can't comment much there. AFAIK all of the major IM protocols are well-supported.

- Hulu works fine under Linux. I couldn't get the streaming video on Fox's site to work (but didn't try very hard, since the show I was trying to watch was available on Hulu as well).

- The music player situation is somewhat frustrating right now. The default player in most distros is pretty bare-bones; and the one which was the best (Amarok) recently got a complete rewrite, and they took out important features (like graphic EQ). At this point my recommendation is to install the old (1.x) version of Amarok, which can be somewhat challenging if your distro officially supports only the 2.x version.

- OpenOffice is a reasonable (and capable) Word/Excel/Powerpoint replacement. I use it exclusively at home, and for most of my word processing / spreadsheet stuff at work too. I'd rate compatibility with MS Office file formats as... oh, probably around 7 or 8 on a 10 point scale. I don't think it supports Access databases directly, but it does speak ODBC so you should be able to set up an ODBC data source to get at your Access tables from OpenOffice. (If you're serious about databases on Linux you should be using MySQL or PostgreSQL though...)

titan wrote:
Ubuntu is a good distro.

It really depends on the individual. Do they want to be eased into Linux, or do they want a "dive into the deep end, sink or swim" approach? Ubuntu is basically still Debian under the hood. You can always dig deeper and drop down to command line if you want/need to, and at that level things will work more or less identically to how they would on a stock Debian system.

And unlike that "other popular OS", you can get down into the guts as far as you want to, without reverse-engineering things or signing an NDA! :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:19 pm

axeman wrote:
- DVD playback - ignoring the legal questions, there isn't anything that works as well as commonly available (even bundled) DVD playback software for Windows. The best you can hope for is for it to work well for basic playback, and forget about getting DVD menus to work well

I thought Totem with the xine backend (mostly) fixes this now? (Haven't tried it myself lately, as I don't watch DVDs much...)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

cheesyking

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:13 pm

axeman wrote:
Does anyone else even MAKE graphics cards anymore ? ;)

I know what you mean, but only today I was looking at a cheapo laptop with sis graphics :roll:

As far as DVD playback goes, Cyberlink do a player that's 100% legal... but they only sell it to OEMs
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:37 pm

I usually just install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package, which (last I knew) includes DeCSS code to enable reading DVDs.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

jabro
Gerbil

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:44 pm

Rather than install a Linux/UNIX distro directly on your main system in a dedicated partition and dual boot, I second cheesyking's recommendation to go with either Wubi or virtualization as a more painless method to install and experiment.

I have not had a chance to try Ubuntu Wubi, but I have had a pretty good experience with using VirtualBox to run Debian, Ubuntu, and openSUSE images on my Windows Vista system:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Installing VirtualBox on a Windows system is very easy, and installing Linux guest OS images within VirtualBox is also straight forward. The only challenges I've had have been getting the Linux guest OS addons installed (this is software you install within the virtual images to get better driver and UI support) - different distros are easier to work with than others. Also, I've had issues customizing the display resolution for virtual images even after installing the guest OS addons. Overall, though, Virtual Box has allowed me to try numerous Linux distros without messing with my main system, dual booting, etc. I've done that stuff in the past, and I really prefer not to fool around with it since VirtualBox is such a convenient option. Also, VirtualBox has good support for OpenSolaris, which is shaping up to be a great UNIX distro. And, VirtualBox is totally free!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:13 pm

Downloading and installing Virtualbox right now. Thanks for the heads up jabro!

jmcknight
Gerbil

Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:09 pm

I currently use Gentoo on both my workstation and notebook and Debian on my server.
AMD A10 7800, Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16GB DDR3-1600 Corsair XMS3, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, 2 WD RE4 500GB SATA III (RAID1), Cooler Master Elite 130