Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Devices and Printers slow to show - W10

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:15 am

It used to be instantly displayed but now it is very slow: The frame is instant but initially nothing in it and takes sometimes until it is filled with icons.

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Devices and Printers slow to show - W10

Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:25 pm

I don't know if this is related but Microsoft apparently decided to give me an unpleasant Win10 April Fools joke this morning by resetting my Advanced Sharing Settings from "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers" back to the default "Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections (recommended)" making all Linux and other non-Windows 7-8-10 devices disappear.

It's like they cannot believe you would really mean it when you intentionally change from the default settings or something (or that anyone would dare). This kind of thing makes Win10 like a game of Whack-a-Mole and unsuited for production use.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:19 am

Churin, it's a guess but it might be a driver problem. Ya should check your system, chipset, and device drivers, and see if anything is flagged under your Device Manager.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Kougar wrote:
Churin, it's a guess but it might be a driver problem. Ya should check your system, chipset, and device drivers, and see if anything is flagged under your Device Manager.

Thanks for your reply.
I checked the Device Manager but saw nothing wrong.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:23 pm

Is it by chance looking for anything (discovery) on the local network?
Edit: I've had it slow to respond when the printer on the network is in sleep mode. I'm guessing though, not really sure what the slow responsiveness is causing your issue.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:20 pm

biffzinker wrote:
Is it by chance looking for anything (discovery) on the local network?
Edit: I've had it slow to respond when the printer on the network is in sleep mode. I'm guessing though, not really sure what the slow responsiveness is causing your issue.

Yes, there are two printers and one TV that are WiFi connected to my home network. I have no problem with other machines on the same network.

This morning the system tray(or notification area?) appeared too clouded with icons so I minimized the startup softwares and that seems to have cured the problem. But I am guessing because I did not undo that to see if the problem comes back or not.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2016 12:09 pm

pczc wrote:
What is the brand of the printer? And I assume this is wireless?

The printers are connected to my home network through WiFi. They are Brother HL-L2360D and Epson SC P600.