Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Dragon_Sword250
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

New Hardrrive Giving No Signal

Sat May 18, 2019 6:12 pm

I bought a new hardrive (Seagate Barracuda 4TB) to replace one that is currently failing. I didn't want to have to install all of my programs and loose all my data so I decided to clone my old drive onto my new drive, which worked perfectly. The only problem is that I can't Boot to the new drive without having the old drive installed also.

Basically, I installed my new drive, cloned the old drive onto the new drive, Unplugged the old drive (keeping the new drive connected), and then when I went to boot to the new drive it didn't work as it should.

The computer will turn on properly, and it will give me the "HP" startup window where I can go into BIOS, but then 2 seconds later the screen goes blank and gives me "No Signal" I can still go into BIOS before the no signal but after that all I can do I force shutdown the PC via the power button.

I can start my computer with both the old and new drive installed. I can even look at the files in the new drive. But once the old drive is no longer connected then it gives no signal.

I don't know what to do, so any help is appreciated and I hope this all made sense.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: New Hardrrive Giving No Signal

Sat May 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Have you tried connecting the cloned drive to the same SATA port the old drive was connected to?

If that doesn't work, then the cloning was not done correctly.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Sat May 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Did you clone the entire drive or just the data volume/partition? Windows 10 requires three partitions: A Recovery partition, an EFI System partition, and then the main partition (also labeled by default as the Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Basic Data partition). Look in Disk Management and see if you see all three on the new drive. The Recovery and EFI System partitions will not (and should not) have a drive letter assigned to them by default.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Asus STRIX GTX 970 4GB | 4 x Corsair LPX 8GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x Hitachi Deskstar 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | Dell UP2516D

Dragon_Sword250
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat May 18, 2019 6:42 pm

It's only showing System (I:) and OS (G:)

I'm thinking I'm going to have to reclone.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Sat May 18, 2019 6:46 pm

What did you use to clone the drive? I'd recommend giving Macrium Reflect Free a look. I believe it will actually let you clone the running disk.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Asus STRIX GTX 970 4GB | 4 x Corsair LPX 8GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x Hitachi Deskstar 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | Dell UP2516D

Dragon_Sword250
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat May 18, 2019 6:47 pm

I used Clonezilla, which I've used before and it worked fine.

qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat May 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Perhaps the bootloader has not been cloned appropriately. Have you tried this first? https://www.dell.com/support/article/ca ... pc?lang=en
You can use any Windows 10 installation disk to run those commands.

Or perhaps this if you're running Ubuntu/Debian: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Recov ... ingWindows
Last edited by qmacpoint on Sat May 18, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon_Sword250
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat May 18, 2019 7:20 pm

qmacpoint wrote:
Perhaps the bootloader has not been cloned appropriately. Have you tried this first? https://www.dell.com/support/article/ca ... pc?lang=en
You can use any Windows 10 installation disk to run those commands.

I've never had a problem with the bootloader not being cloned right. I'm currently re-cloning with Macrium, but if this doesn't work then I will try your suggestion and see if that works.

qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat May 18, 2019 7:24 pm

Dragon_Sword250 wrote:
I've never had a problem with the bootloader not being cloned right. I'm currently re-cloning with Macrium, but if this doesn't work then I will try your suggestion and see if that works.

Me neither... but you never know :)

Dragon_Sword250
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2019 3:59 am

Re-cloned the hard drive using Clonezilla again, apparently I forgot to select the option where I also copy the bootloader. So, this time around I made sure that I did so, and it is now working perfectly. Lets hope it stays that way for a long time to come.

Thank you to everyone who replied with suggestions.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Sun May 19, 2019 1:50 pm

You're welcome...glad we could help!