Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Zen2 build, upgrade from 2600

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:44 pm

Hi team,

I'm looking to upgrade my AMD 2600 to one of the soon to be available Zen2 processors, possibly the 3900X. I think it will be a nice performance boost allowing me to stream smoothly while gaming. The 2600 can actually do it already, but I'd like to minimize the frame drop as much as possible, and also allow me to stream in higher quality encoding presets which costs a bit more CPU time. It should hopefully sidestep the need to use a second PC for stream encoding. I don't really follow hardware as closely these days so looking for the inside word on what's good.

Current setup has A320 mobo, and 2x 4GB Memory. So probably will have to replace the guts. Probably looking at going for 3900X with 16GB Memory.

For AM4 motherboards, what's the go here? I'm guessing X570 is going to be price premium / overkill. My A320 won't support the 3000 series, but what chipset is generally best for performance / value? I haven't really followed the difference between X470 and B450. Realistically just looking for something that will be reliable and performant, with decent amount of USB ports. Dual ethernet would be a plus but not really required. I use an external DAC for audio so audio chipset doesn't matter too much either. Though good quality NICs would be a plus. Is there anything I haven't thought of here that's important to factor in?

Regarding memory is there anything particular to be aware of? I am aiming for 16GB, as far as I know there's no real need for 32GB currently for gaming / streaming. 3200Mhz memory appears to be the supported speed for the 3900X. Is there any reason to get DDR4 memory rated above 3200?

Cooling wise, are the stock retail AMD coolers adequate these days. Or am I better off with aftermarket? I'm not planning to OC. But I do appreciate a quiet stable PC.

I already have a case and PSU etc. It's a fractal meshify, and a seasonic something psu (forgot the model but should have enough juice). Running a 1070 but may look at jumping to a 2080 after the Supers launch.

I'm in New Zealand so will be looking for parts via pricespy

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Zen2 build, upgrade from 2600

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:50 pm

If you're not overclocking or requiring anything special from the board, every chipset that supports the 3000 series will probably work fine. You could easily go with a lower-end board, another 2x4 GB of DRAM, and be very happy. The faster memory speeds help, but it totally depends on whether you want to shell out extra for 16 GB of faster RAM versus just adding another 2x4 GB sticks to what you have.

The stock coolers are pretty decent in general, but it remains to be seen what the acoustic profile is when running the bigger 12 core 3000 series chips.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB NVME + 2 TB SATA + LSI (128x8) RAID
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:14 pm

Waco wrote:
If you're not overclocking or requiring anything special from the board, every chipset that supports the 3000 series will probably work fine. You could easily go with a lower-end board, another 2x4 GB of DRAM, and be very happy. The faster memory speeds help, but it totally depends on whether you want to shell out extra for 16 GB of faster RAM versus just adding another 2x4 GB sticks to what you have.

Pending BIOS support. Whatever board you look at, you need to verify it's being updated for Zen2. I've got a couple of Ryzen boards/builds here. Gigabytes AB350M Gaming 3 does support Zen2. ASRocks' similarly-named AB350 Pro4 does not.

And if your A320 board isn't getting Ryzen 3 support, be sure that whatever you do get does.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:39 pm

Exactly - find a board that supports Zen2/3000 series chips with the ports you want and you're good to go unless you want PCIe4 support or one of the other fancy features on the higher-end boards.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB NVME + 2 TB SATA + LSI (128x8) RAID
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS