Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

biggles99
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Spacesniffer and Unaccessable Space

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:27 am

Hi everyone,

Every time I delete files, the space does not free up and keeps making what Spacesniffer calls "Unaccessable Space" my Free space on the hard drive never increases, it just gets smaller and smaller and the "Unaccessable Space" gets bigger.

I have confirmed as far as I am able that it is not Windows restore points either
Windows 10
Running spacesniffer as an administrator
I have run ccleaner many times
I have done command prompt as admin chskdsk /f /r and that does not do it

Anyone else have thoughts?
Am I able to upload a picture of the spacesniffer screen?

Thanks for any help you can be...

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Spacesniffer and Unaccessable Space

Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:48 am

Are you deleting files so they show up in the recycle bin or are permanently deleting them so the only way to get them back is to use recuver and the like?

If you are only sending to the recycle bin and not emptying the bin your free space will not change.

Also there are real files and there are pointers also known has soft and hard links.

You can delete a link but that does not delete the file, a good example of this is the sxs folder in windows. This folder usually only contains links and not files so if you delete anything there (BAD IDEA) you don't actually create any disk space.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD