Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Dual boot WinXP + WinXP

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:17 pm

Is it possible to dualboot with 2 copies of WinXP?

Basically I want one that is tailored for gaming w/ maximum performance with pretty much no ability to do anything else, and the other for just everday stuff. Dual-booting seemed the simplest way, but I don't know if that's feasible with two instances of XP.
(I'm thinking XP b/c it is pretty much the best in terms of gaming and also best (without getting into linux at all) for productivity.)

also, would I need two licenses for Windows, or could I just use the same one twice... I'm just thinking here, humor me plez.

Specs: Barton 2800+ (soon to be 400mhz fsb) w/ Radeon 9800 pro and WDRaptor 36gb's 10k SATA

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:25 pm

No harm done in trying :wink:

I'm pretty sure you can.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:34 pm

I would assume that it would be as simple as just partitioning into like 2 18gb partitions and installing into respective ones?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:02 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I would assume that it would be as simple as just partitioning into like 2 18gb partitions and installing into respective ones?
That's correct. Easy as pie.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:56 am

Of course, it's easy, as long as they both have their own partition to put the system into.

But the question I have to ask is: WHY?

I don't understand the logic in this pursuit. XP handles both tasks just fine in one system. This isn't Windows 98, or god forbid, ME. Somehow I think at the end of your game tuning, you're going to find that the performance difference is pretty minor, as long as your system is adequate to begin with.

And no, I don't think you could use the same license for both copies, since they would each try to activate themselves, and only one would succeed.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:18 am

Buub wrote:
I do it when I'm migrating into a new windows install if, for whatever reason, I feel compelled to reinstall (granted that's usually between separate versions, but I've migrated to different installs of the same OS before.) but stull need to get into the old OS occasionally. Another possibility would be using software that depends on certified drivers, maybe even uses a dongle or something, with weird compatability requirements. I agree the original poster's reason isn't a very good one, but reasons exist, and he's definately free to do as he pleases.

Yanish
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:23 am

Well that's qute a good question.
It should be no problem if you use a dual boot prog such as "Acronis OS Selctor Deluxe" but I doubt (but you never know) that you will be able to a dual boot using the internal functions of the windows cd.
When all else fails,
Fdisk, Format, Linux.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:27 am

Yanish wrote:
Well that's qute a good question.
It should be no problem if you use a dual boot prog such as "Acronis OS Selctor Deluxe" but I doubt (but you never know) that you will be able to a dual boot using the internal functions of the windows cd.
No, as has been mentioned already, it's quite simple, and happens automagically. It's not like I was lying 4 posts up or something.

fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:21 am

No problem, even without any 3rd party programs.
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:36 am

fc34 wrote:
Thank you Mr. Redundant.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:38 am

Buub wrote:

It's more like when just for gaming, there is no need for extra drivers (such as for my TV tuner) to be used or applications (like antivirus and the ATI Catalyst control panel and SBAudigy control panel) that take up resources. Rather than going into the task manager and killing all non-essential processes every time I want to game, it should theoretically be much easier to just have a separate install that I use for gaming w/ just the barebones OS. And then the primary has all the features and stuff so that I can get stuff done and be able to use the additional "eye candy" and stuff for when I don't need maximum performance.
you're going to find that the performance difference is pretty minor, as long as your system is adequate to begin with

I've noticed a difference of 5-10 Fps between playing after a fresh startup and after it's been on for a while and XP has started using up resources... and there is a definite difference >10fps when I go through and kill tasks that aren't needed... UT2k4 loves RAM.. enough said

And no, I don't think you could use the same license for both copies, since they would each try to activate themselves, and only one would succeed.

I have the corporate license for XP that doesn't need activation

EDIT: might I also add that I'm going to fold on the main install? :D
Last edited by Usacomp2k3 on Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

nordo42
Gerbil XP

Re: Dual boot WinXP + WinXP

Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:54 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Is it possible to dualboot with 2 copies of WinXP?

I've done this before by accident. hehe
i've left the forum. if you're reading a "post deleted", sorry.

red0510
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:47 am

Instead of dual-booting with two copies of XP, couldn't you just set up 2 separate user accounts, one being for Gaming, and the other being for other tasks? Then you could manage each account individually, turning on and off the services/apps that you need as you see fit.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:47 pm

For what it's worth, this isn't the same thing at all, since I don't "use" the second installation, but here is one legitimate use for two installations:

Sometimes you need an emergency OS to run when the main one gets corrupted. Maybe you're playing with drivers, or who know's what. In cases like that, I have installed a second copy on a separate partition (or on a jaz drive). The difference is, I don't use the second install unless I'm doing an emergency fix on the first.

fc34

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:35 am

mattsteg wrote:
fc34 wrote:
Thank you Mr. Redundant.

No problem. Just giving another vote of confidence in case he wasnt convinced. :D:D
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:55 am

red0510 wrote:
Instead of dual-booting with two copies of XP, couldn't you just set up 2 separate user accounts, one being for Gaming, and the other being for other tasks? Then you could manage each account individually, turning on and off the services/apps that you need as you see fit.

I've tried that, and it's just alot more difficult trying to work with different drivers in different profiles. The profiles aren't separate enough, IMHO.
Just seems liek it would be simpler to dealboot.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:08 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I've tried that, and it's just alot more difficult trying to work with different drivers in different profiles. The profiles aren't separate enough, IMHO.
Just seems liek it would be simpler to dealboot.
Would hardware profiles fit your perceived need? Perhaps that's what you are talking about, but it's tough to tell since the poster you replied to was talking about something different.

dolemitecomputers

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:21 pm

You could just install another copy of windows xp to another folder on the same partition. Usually it will give you that option during the install.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:16 pm

well just wanted to let ya'll know evidence of why I did this
on my main partition, I played through Far Cry at 1024x768 0aa/0af
i just reformated my gaming partition, and loaded up the first few levels, and now it runs 1600x1200 0aa/0af or 1280x960 2aa/8af...so yeah..i'm pleased 8)

btw, that's the max values I can have so that it is fluid