Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

PC Chips is the worst company!

Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:24 pm

I was working on a computer for one of the guys I work with. He bought it at one of those stores that puts it all together for you, but doesn't tell you what the components are.

After formatting his HD, and reinstalling Win98se, I wanted to check on some of the settings in the system BIOS. When I got there it asked for a password, my buddy didn't know it, so I called the store, and was told it's not their policy to give out that kind of info, because it voids the warranty. The system was bought about 3 years ago, and no longer under warranty, so why do they even care anymore?

I called the store again to find out what kind of mobo it was, 'cause there was no manufacturer's name or logo on it, and the guy told me "It's one of our's" Not understanding this I asked him what he meant, and he told me that the store is a "satellite" location for PC Chips (carefully disguised with the name IPC). I tried to get info on the board, but they gave me none, not even a model number so I can find the jumper to reset the BIOS.

Tried to get info via the internet...........nothing.

So to anyone out there considering one of these mobo's...........DON"T

Kurlon
Gerbil

Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:46 pm

Yup, PCChips makes a bunch of mobos under 57 different brands, like Amptron, etc. They use just about everyone's chipsets, Intel, VIA, SiS, etc. There IS info on them on the net however. Just start looking around for PCChips sites and you'll find some that'll teach you the secret to identifying them.

(PCChips does not put PW's on BIOS's when they ship them, that was the system builder, aka the store. Just find the battery, remove it for a few hours, plop it back in, power up, and you'll be fine.)

BTW - The mobos themselves don't suck, its usually the fault of the chipset. : )
I am the Mad Midnight Anonybomber what posts anonymously at midnight!

Workstation
- Dual P4 Xeon 2.4ghz (OC'd to 2.9ghz)
- 512MB DDR RAM
- 60gb ATA100 7.2krpm IDE
- GF 4 Ti 4200 64MB

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:37 pm

:roll: I still rem the PC-Chips SuperSocket7 mobos that used an unstable o/c standard Socket7 chipset and lied about the FSB being 100mhz when it was in fact at 95mhz using a chipset only ever design to have an 83mhz maximum. VERY NASTY.

:( After this I heard nothing but bad things about reliabiltiy, quality and support regarding PC-Chips. Sure they were cheap, but nasty too. The do now re-badge their mobos, ECS is a common and relatively popular solution that I'm 95% sure is a re-badged PC-Chips mobo.

:D However, Kurlon's right in that (certainly now-a-days) the chipset really dictates the reliability and perf of the mobo. Most people seem happy with ECS from what I've read, so if you really want to save $20 on a mobo then PC-Chips might not be such a bad thing for modern day mobos!

:-? You should be able to identify the mobo via it's BIOS string (but it's not easy). You could try the free SiSoft Sandra Utility which should provide you with a lot of useful info including the chipset used. However the CPU Socket and speed should give you adequate information as to how upgradable the system is etc.

:wink: Best of luck.

george
Gerbil In Training

hold down the end key

Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:14 am

hi
have you tried holding down the <end> key on the key board while the system boots up? this worked on my pc chips board to reset the bios

pattouk2001
Gerbil Jedi

Fake Cache

Fri Jun 14, 2002 11:07 am

Hi, did anyone that PC-Chips fitted FAKE 1mb cache to a certain range of their motherboards? They simply stuck on bits of black plastic and called it cache. Just shows how **** they are......and deceptive! :x

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:05 pm

:lol: Yeah, I used to have a 2nd PC which was a Pentium133 on and 'Unnamed' i430VX mobo which had one of those fake plastic 'cache on a stick'. What a joke that was, well worth the manu saving the £5 256k cache would have cost! :evil:

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:22 pm

If the board has an FCC ID number on it you can go to the FCC website and look up the make and model. That might help out. I think you can go to this site: http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

jsbach11
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:55 pm

I had a PC Chips board once. No BIOS updates to speak of, no real tech support in case a part goes bad....just blah!!!

It was a SS7 board, and also had one of those bogus 1MB cache sticks too. Fancy!