Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Laptop paintjob *PIX*

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:13 pm

It seems as if every summer, I have had one outstanding goal that I feel I must accomplish before summer ends. This summer, I have been given the job of painting the oars for the crew team. Sure, it seems like a fairly simple task, but as I began I realized the true complexity of it. First you must transport the oars. Lucky for me, we have roof-mounted oar racks available. So I get them all home...
Well, most of them home anyways. We have quite a few more.
First we stripped the paint and sanded down the oars, then taped off the design for the first color.

Now I'm sure most of you are wondering why I am talking about painting oars on a techsite, let alone in the cases thread (that is unless you noticed the title :lol: ). It came to my attention that we are going to have some paint left over. Like a lot. So I decided to go ahead and paint anything i can think of. Naturally, the color are crimson and cream (boomer sooner) and it is auto paint. I decided to paint my road bike and my laptop case. So, I began the deconstruction of my laptop...
That removes all the parts I want to paint! There are a ton of screws in these dells. My 9300 had a lot.
I then taped off the outer white trim on the case and left only the silver/grey area available. Next I primed.
There, now its all primed and ready to be painted! Unfortunatly, we paint the white of the oars first, so my laptop will sit in pieces for awhile. The idea is to have all of the silver painted crimson, and just do touchups on the white trim if needed. I have a few ideas for the back cover. I can either tape off an OU and paint it white like we are doing on the oars, or use a sticker. I would like to do some more customizing, possibly LED's in the exhaust vents or speaker spots. I would really like to make this thing look awesome. Any ideas guys?

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:08 pm

might as well post pics of the roady too.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:05 pm

Cool! I've got a Dell sitting here that I've thought about painting too.... Keep it coming! :wink:
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:19 pm

oh yes! more pics will come! as for right now, I need to tape off my roady and prep it for the first white paint coat. ill keep you guys updated.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:47 pm

I want to see pics of the leftover screws after you have it put back together... ;)

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:36 am

UberGerbil wrote:
I want to see pics of the leftover screws after you have it put back together... ;)

Haha, ain't that the truth. Every time I take my iBook apart, I have 5 extra screws, take it all back apart and can't find where they go cuz theres 'none' missing? WTF?

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:37 am

Keep us updated, on the roadie too! Good luck on it anyways, better hope you put it back together as solid as it was built.
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:12 am

Will do Mysty! I think I might tape that tomorrow after work, since I can't go to practice. I have a ulcer on my tonsil or somethin like that, so I'm avoiding all things that would put stress on them as much as possible. But the roady doesn't do any of that, plus I can bring it inside where its not all hot and humid!

As for the extra screws, I found about 10 screws that I didn't have in the picture that go in there. That makes the grand total around 44 screws with 3 different lengths. Oh boy, better get out the guidebook..

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:16 am

N_4_7_3 wrote:
As for the extra screws, I found about 10 screws that I didn't have in the picture that go in there. That makes the grand total around 44 screws with 3 different lengths. Oh boy, better get out the guidebook..

You mean this one? http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... #wp1398087

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:20 am

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to paint the bike yet. It has the basic frame of the bike shown at this site: http://www.sonofabike.com/albums/landshark/01_G.jpg
I don't have the bike with me right now, or I would take a picture. I think that I will paint the front fork white and the upper back fork part white also. The rest will be red. It seems pretty simple. I also want to put some sort of design on it. I'm thinking possibly tribal designs going horizontally across the top bar in white, but I really have no idea. Theres really no limit on what I can do as long as I can find a design or cut one out. I'm def. going to put my last name on it somewhere, probably on the bar that runs from the seat post to the pedals. I'm looking for suggestions though!

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:22 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
N_4_7_3 wrote:

You mean this one? http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... #wp1398087

Perfect! Much appreciated! That gives me a lot of relief. Thanks a bunch!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:24 am

N_4_7_3 wrote:
Perfect! Much appreciated! That gives me a lot of relief. Thanks a bunch!

Anytime. I've found support.dell.com to be invaluable when taking apart laptops. I wish Toshiba and other sites had such detail disasembly guides.