Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

bobdoleisgod
Gerbil
Topic Author

does smoking in a room cause consoles to fail?

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:47 am

i had a friend that smoked in his room and went through two ps2's, another friend that had the same problem with an xbox. i on the other hand have, for lots of reasons, not been able to smoke in any of the rooms i've lived in and have had no problems with my ps2 for 3 or 4 years now.
for a wounded man shall say to his asailant. if i live i will kill you, if i die you are forgiven. such is the rule of honor.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: does smoking in a room cause consoles to fail?

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:10 am

bobdoleisgod wrote:
i had a friend that smoked in his room and went through two ps2's, another friend that had the same problem with an xbox. i on the other hand have, for lots of reasons, not been able to smoke in any of the rooms i've lived in and have had no problems with my ps2 for 3 or 4 years now.

Smoking around electronics is not a good idea. Tobacco smoke leaves a sooty, sticky residue on everything it touches. In addition to being nasty and possibly harmful to PCBs, stickiness attracts dust, which holds in heat, which kills electronics.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

Zenith
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:24 am

I'm an avid cigar/pipe smoker...and even I adhere to the rule of...well, don't smoke indoors. (Unless it's a designated room with extra ventilation and minimal fabrics. And I mean EXTRA ventilation.)
I have discovered that all human evils come from this, man's inability to sit still in a room. ~Blaise Pascal

TheRealWinkel
Gerbil

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:19 am

Cigarette and Cigar smoke is dangerous. It can and will kill electronic devices (and just to mention, the humans that use those devices). Would you light a campfire next to your computer?

Smoke is easily charged (electrically speaking) and that's why it will kill the consoles.

Simply put...if you want to protect your electronics, but still ruin your own health, do it outside.

and if you have kids...man, keep it away from them!

Mentawl
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:01 am

Heh, I remember working on a PC that was housed in an apartment with 3 smokers...and finding that the thermal paste on the CPU had turned distinctly yellow. Nasty =/.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:23 am

Vrock wrote:

Smoking around electronics is not a good idea. Tobacco smoke leaves a sooty, sticky residue on everything it touches. In addition to being nasty and possibly harmful to PCBs, stickiness attracts dust, which holds in heat, which kills electronics.

Ding ding ding we have a winnarrr!!!!

Truth to tell, I have worked on several home PC's owned by people who smoke. I always make it a point to show the smoker what the insides of their PC look like and then point out that their lungs look a whole lot worse then mine! :LOL:

Basicly the inside of thier machine looks like the outside of someone who has been tared and feathered with oil and sawdust. Interesting little features caused the eddys in the airflow growing and other sticky, goey, spots, and of course the smell is HORRENDOUS. Take a wiff of someone's ashtray from their car that has NEVER been cleaned in the last 5 years. Now muliply that by two beacuse of the heat from the processor.

And of course they wonder why the processor commited suicide. :D
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Fighthouse
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:14 am

One of the main reasons why people stopped smoking around computers was because they realized it was particularly bad for the hard drives. The size of a smoke particle is larger than the amount of space between the read/write header pin and the actual platter. Having many of those smoke particles on a platter essentially results in a bad hard drive.
Does not compute

bobdoleisgod
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:14 am

i've always been kind of pissed i could never smoke inside, i guess i should be grateful, and no i don't have kids. :wink:
for a wounded man shall say to his asailant. if i live i will kill you, if i die you are forgiven. such is the rule of honor.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:33 am

bobdoleisgod wrote:

In addition to the heat issues caused by the smoke sludge buildup on the electronics catching dust particles, smoke will also get on the optics of the DVD drive. This will likely shorten the useful life of the drive by a fair amount. Did his optical drives fail, or was it some other issue?

Fighthouse wrote:
One of the main reasons why people stopped smoking around computers was because they realized it was particularly bad for the hard drives. The size of a smoke particle is larger than the amount of space between the read/write header pin and the actual platter. Having many of those smoke particles on a platter essentially results in a bad hard drive.

All modern hard drives (since the 1980s) are sealed, with only a small vent for barometric pressure equalization. The vent incorporates a sub-micron filter, so smoke particles can't get in.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

digitalnrg
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:54 am

TheRealWinkel wrote:

Yes, they are REALLY bad for your electronics... break everything!

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:58 am

digitalnrg wrote:
TheRealWinkel wrote:

ya like we never knew that ... thanks a lot for the suggestion :lol:

bobdoleisgod
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:08 am

In addition to the heat issues caused by the smoke sludge buildup on the electronics catching dust particles, smoke will also get on the optics of the DVD drive. This will likely shorten the useful life of the drive by a fair amount. Did his optical drives fail, or was it some other issue?

it was the optical drives. we played gta: san andreas a lot, and the cars on the freeway would come out of nowhere really fast and crash into each other, it was quite humorous actually. and a lot of the other games he had, the dvd-rom function of the ps2 wouldn't work, so if he put in a regular psx disc it worked ok. but gta3, san andreas, killzone, forget it.

TheRealWinkel
Gerbil

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:18 am

just brew it! wrote:
All modern hard drives (since the 1980s) are sealed, with only a small vent for barometric pressure equalization. The vent incorporates a sub-micron filter, so smoke particles can't get in.

Well, but what happens when the filter gets clogged? :-?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:27 am

TheRealWinkel wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Well, but what happens when the filter gets clogged? :-?

We're not talking about a vent where you're continuously sucking in air for cooling or anything like that. It only needs to pass minuscule amounts of air in and out to equalize the pressure inside the drive when the barometric (ambient) pressure changes. You could probably leave it sitting in a room full of smokers for 10 years and it would still be able to pass enough air to do its job adequately.

A DVD drive, OTOH, would probably become unusable in a matter of months, due to buildup of crap on the lenses.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:33 am

Don't forget that the tar residue is slightly conductive as well, especially as the humidity raises in damp weather. A lightly loaded oscillator, like your main system clock, could just simply stop oscillating once the smoke loads down the crystal too much.

Theoretically you could ue some alcohol to clean off the board, but I wouldn't touch it. Let them live with the consequences of thier bad, expensive habit.

digitalnrg
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Jigar2speed5095 wrote:
digitalnrg wrote:
TheRealWinkel wrote:

ya like we never knew that ... thanks a lot for the suggestion :lol:

Okay, I will be more constructive this time.

I used to work as a computer hardware repair guy. Every so often we would open up a PC (of an obvious smoker) and the dust/fuzz/etc inside would all be clumped together in a large ball like thing. I guess the smoke helped bond all of the dust and stuff together.

Anyways, we replaced alot of fans on smokers computers... I am a smoker, but i make it a point not to smoke where i live. I always go outside.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:38 pm

Wish my mom cared enough to go outside >_<
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64